Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:57:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [sorry my bad] BTC gone / Transaction History gone at MtGox  (Read 2647 times)
lost in the wild (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:24:43 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2011, 03:45:41 AM by lost in the wild

See http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16657.0 for the resolution on this.

The tl;dr is that I had created two MtGox accounts that were one letter off on their userids.

ORIGINAL POST:

I realize that MtGox has been inundated with e-mail.

I realize there have been issues with dwolla transfers.

However, I have not seen anyone else reporting issues like mine.

It has been over 60 hours since my e-mail.  It has been over 70 hours since my account looked normal.

I'm still hoping that my e-mail to MtGox eventually makes it out of the queue, but I need to know if I'm the only one.

I'd like to know if I am the only one something like this happened to and if anyone has any advice other than to continue to wait for my e-mail to be read and answered at MtGox.

Tue night (US Central time), I finally saw my nearly $500 dwolla transfer make it into my MtGox account.  I looked at the Transaction History, and it showed the date from when the transfer was initiated on the Dwolla side from the evening of the Friday before.  Four days and just two business days.  Not that bad from what I had heard.

I placed an order and I sent 10.5 btc in.  It partial filled.  I waited and went to bed.

When I went to bed, I saw two transactions:  the dwolla transfer and the partial fill.

When I woke up, I had 0 dollars.  I had 0 btc.  Trading pricing was such that the rest of my order would have filled in while I slept.  

I figured I'd been hacked and someone had transferred all my btc out, so I checked the transaction history.  It was blank.  There was nothing showing the transactions I'd seen the night before.  Nothing showing the additional trade.  Nothing showing the btc I'd sent in.  Nothing showing someone emptying my account.

If I'd been robbed, I'd expect to see transactions showing that.  If my trades were somehow cancelled, I expect to still see my dwolla cash.  In any case, by now, I'd expect to see my btc transfer in.

Here is the address I sent the 10.5 btc to, that was given to me via the MtGox interface:

http://blockexplorer.com/address/1PsAZgtbsYLEqo7k1gxakyyYgRRhUoSrDS

The only transactions on it are my 10.5 in and that 10.5 out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oneforall

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:43:25 AM

if it were just coins missing out of your wallet and not missing transaction history at mt gox i'd say you probably had your wallet stollen. however, considering you are saying that you saw the transaction history at mt gox and then did not, i am guessing that you think you can scare people into distrusting mt gox. I say this because i doubt somebody got into the inner workings of mt gox and used this ability not to steal massive amounts of money, but rather to make your 10btc history disapear.. sorry if your true, but i call ----

TROLL
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 03:48:32 AM

if it were just coins missing out of your wallet and not missing transaction history at mt gox i'd say you probably had your wallet stollen.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

TROLL

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
lost in the wild (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:59:28 AM

if it were just coins missing out of your wallet and not missing transaction history at mt gox i'd say you probably had your wallet stollen. however, considering you are saying that you saw the transaction history at mt gox and then did not, i am guessing that you think you can scare people into distrusting mt gox. I say this because i doubt somebody got into the inner workings of mt gox and used this ability not to steal massive amounts of money, but rather to make your 10btc history disapear.. sorry if your true, but i call ----

TROLL

Fair enough, but I'm not.

Personally, I think it was probably a problem at MtGox under a heavy load.  This was when values were in the high 20's and heading for over 30.  I'm hoping that when my e-mail finally gets read, this can get cleared up.

I do have something that can help prove my story.

One of the addresses in the 10.5 transfer to MtGox is

http://blockexplorer.com/address/15FpFY3boVKXPfRv6C9ssKXFt7hjKopWmX

It still has some btc available.

After posting this, I'll consolidate my meager funds and immediately post the address.  That should be before it hits a block or even before its spread through the network much.

That will at least show I actually made the transfer.

It should be easy for someone at MtGox to check to see if the address I sent it to was one generated by them.

lost in the wild (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 04:00:40 AM

2.05 BTC just sent to 12YoaN7utmoqy8tfJKHPGZD6vs4uskhmso
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:52:50 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2011, 07:38:03 AM by Stephen Gornick

I'd like to know if I am the only one something like this happened to

The closest thing I can think of is where I registered (with some other service, not Mt. Gox) two usernames without realizing it.  Logged in as the wrong one and saw no activity.

I placed an order and I sent 10.5 btc in.

The way you wrote it confused me.    Just to make sure I follow,

You had a balance after adding Dwolla and using that balance placed a buy order which got a partial fill.

You then, coincidentally, did an Add Funds -> Add Bitcoins entered 10.5 and then clicked Send Bitcoins.  Then you sent 10.5 BTC to the address that you got from Mt. Gox: 1PsAZgtbsYLEqo7k1gxakyyYgRRhUoSrDS

It should be easy for someone at MtGox to check to see if the address I sent it to was one generated by them

It should be easy for the accountholder to check to see what that address was, on-demand, at a later time.  Mt. Gox doesn't provide that, but it should, in my opinion.

So I listed that under the exchange's Criticism section.  Maybe this will change when the site gets an update.
  - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/MtGox#Criticism

As far as no longer seeing any of the transactions or the funds added, hopefully the exchange can identify what the problem is.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:24:07 AM

I saw someone else with this issue post a few days ago, so this must be an actual bug. That's pretty bad. It's gotta be worse for MagicalTux, though, since he'll have to pour through a lot of logs to resolve this.

lost in the wild (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 02:47:56 PM

I saw someone else with this issue post a few days ago, so this must be an actual bug. That's pretty bad. It's gotta be worse for MagicalTux, though, since he'll have to pour through a lot of logs to resolve this.

My home network has a linux router and is ntp sync'd.

I can narrow this down to a half hour window and possibly tighter by looking at some other logs, so if I ever hear from anyone, I can hopefully make that log searching easier.

My original e-mail, with more details like account name hit Google's SMTP server for MtGox at Jun  8 07:26:18 (UTC -5).

I still think this was a server load issue and that it can be clarified, it's just disturbing that it has taken this long and that I've not seen others with similar issues.

The closest thing I can think of is where I registered (with some other service, not Mt. Gox) two usernames without realizing it.  Logged in as the wrong one and saw no activity.

The account is a few weeks old.  I am certain this is not the issue.

I placed an order and I sent 10.5 btc in.

The way you wrote it confused me.    Just to make sure I follow,

You had a balance after adding Dwolla and using that balance placed a buy order which got a partial fill.

You then, coincidentally, did an Add Funds -> Add Bitcoins entered 10.5 and then clicked Send Bitcoins.  Then you sent 10.5 BTC to the address that you got from Mt. Gox: 1PsAZgtbsYLEqo7k1gxakyyYgRRhUoSrDS

That is correct.
Xiong Zhuang

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 04:01:15 PM

Recently my account in Mtgox is compromised and lost $43, but I have a trade history. I just hope Mtgox can make the site more secure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: