Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:39:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ZeroHedge  (Read 3389 times)
Haole (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 10:28:07 PM

Just wondering if anyone has followed the last few threads containing discussions about BTC and commentary in general with regards to BTC on ZeroHedge?  What do you think about the outright rejection of the entire concept and function as well as ridicule of it by the majority of posters.  Granted we know it's far from perfect or being a monetary panacea but I cannot understand this type of reaction and some of the paranoid assumptions made.  Some of these people seem to imply that Bitcoin is the only market/currency/"investment class" with risk and is reckless to use for any purpose.  An essentially free market finally comes along in otherwise controlled and manipulated global markets and ZeroHedge comment sections taunt it and beat it like a red-headed stepchild?

I find it fascinating personally but hope that others here can comment.  Thanks.

"The future isn't what it used to be." - Yogi Berra

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zkay

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 10:33:58 PM

Just wondering if anyone has followed the last few threads containing discussions about BTC and commentary in general with regards to BTC on ZeroHedge?  What do you think about the outright rejection of the entire concept and function as well as ridicule of it by the majority of posters.  Granted we know it's far from perfect or being a monetary panacea but I cannot understand this type of reaction and some of the paranoid assumptions made.  Some of these people seem to imply that Bitcoin is the only market/currency/"investment class" with risk and is reckless to use for any purpose.  An essentially free market finally comes along in otherwise controlled and manipulated global markets and ZeroHedge comment sections taunt it and beat it like a red-headed stepchild?

I find it fascinating personally but hope that others here can comment.  Thanks.

You have to keep in mind that the crowd browsing Zerohedge is mostly older (<40 years old), mostly white, and mostly american. The combination of these three things makes them not entirely open to new ideas. I say this as a person who usually enjoys reading the articles and commentary posted at Zerohedge.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 10:52:27 PM

You have to keep in mind that the crowd browsing Zerohedge is mostly older (<40 years old), mostly white, and mostly american.

That describes me.

The problem with the folks at ZH is the same problem all "practical" businessmen will have with Bitcoin, no matter where they live. It's an unproven medium and it goes against hundreds of generations of conditioning about storing value. Bitcoin causes serious cognitive dissonance for people heavily vested in the old economy.

Give them time. When they figure out Bitcoin, they'll come running and will drive the price up.
notig

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 10:52:31 PM

the cool thing about bitcoin is that there is no need to get into arguments about its legitimacy. Time will tell who was wiser. And if bitcoin fails due to outside forces trying to kill it (such as government) I still wouldn't consider those who support it unwise... just possibly "too optimistic". If bitcoin is "too powerful for it's own good"... that's not really the fault of bitcoin.

hmmmstrange

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 10:55:03 PM

90% of the contempt towards bitcoin come from the precious metal stackers on zerohedge.
Prattler

Activity: 192

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:03:04 PM

The problem with the folks at ZH is the same problem all "practical" businessmen will have with Bitcoin, no matter where they live. It's an unproven medium and it goes against hundreds of generations of conditioning about storing value. Bitcoin causes serious cognitive dissonance for people heavily vested in the old economy.

Give them time. When they figure out Bitcoin, they'll come running and will drive the price up.
This. Mass adoption will came with internet kids playing video games and doing online trades. To them, bitcoin will be real and better money than gold.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:04:42 PM

90% of the contempt towards bitcoin come from the precious metal stackers on zerohedge.

You would expect PM stackers to "get" Bitcoin faster than the average person. I suppose most of them get stuck on "tangibility" and a misunderstanding of "intrinsic value".

Their heads are too far up their asses to care about stuff like that Tongue  Gold's worked since it was blasted out of a sun and into Earth, so why use anything else?  My iRock can't make calls, either, but I can still chuck it at a guy's head--they'll get my message Smiley  Nah but really, they're dinosaurs wearing blinders.  They got their formula--no thinking required.

Haole (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:06:04 PM

One self-assured genius went so far as to suggest jugs of Tide were a better form of "currency" than BTC.  Some of the comments are outright laughable.  Some of these doomers and skipping records are convinced they're going to be standing over their gold and food preps with semi-auto rifles, trading cigarettes and pieces of silver for more ammo and food on a black market, fighting the "government" stormtroopers when their imminent fantasy Mad Max collapse happens any day now.  Maybe they will be proven to be correct, who's to know?  However, some of the shit people are saying is downright absurd.  It really is laughable and sad concurrently and is representative of how far the quality of the comments sections have degenerated for a place that was full of intelligence and open minds not too long ago.  

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:08:46 PM

One self-assured genius went so far as to suggest jugs of Tide were a better form of "currency" than BTC.  Some of the comments are outright laughable.  Some of these doomers and skipping records are convinced they're going to be standing over their gold and food preps with semi-auto rifles, trading cigarettes and pieces of silver for more ammo and food on a black market, fighting the "government" stormtroopers when their imminent fantasy Mad Max collapse happens any day now.  Maybe they will be proven to be correct, who's to know?  However, some of the shit people are saying is outright absurd.  It really is laughable and is representative of how far the comments section has degenerated for a place that was full of intelligence and open minds not too long ago.  

That's utterly ridiculous.  Everyone knows we're going to be trading bottle caps by the time that happens.

hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:17:54 PM

My theory is that there are a few things going on that combined cause that kind of a response.

1) as mentioned most people went through an education that taught them what to think and not how to think so they lack critical thinking skills and instead reason through emotions and religious beliefs

2) as mentioned most people have vested interested in some other system, whether it be the current status quo or even precious metals, Bitcoin can be perceived to threaten either

3) combined, instead of approaching this subject rationally with logic and empirical evidence, the beliefs that most of those people have come to believe when faced with something so new so foreign and so almost unbelievably intelligent causes them cognitive dissonance and as a consequence they react extremely forcefully and defensively

From my experience there's nothing that can be done against this. Well nothing except to ignore them. Eventually it will be the results of Bitcoin and it's necessity that will drive them to overcame this cognitive dissonance and change their beliefs and start supporting this technology. But until then those kind of almost religious rejections and attacks is all we're going to get.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 11:19:32 PM

The zerohedge articles are well worth reading but unfortunately the comments aren't.

Even the gold and silver bugs have left: there is a great site http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/ that was basically set up by one guy after getting tired of the zerohedge nonsense. Gets tens of thousands of hits.  

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:31:59 PM

You would expect PM stackers to "get" Bitcoin faster than the average person. I suppose most of them get stuck on "tangibility" and a misunderstanding of "intrinsic value".

Exactly. Like many gold-bugs, they have a nasty mental block on "tangibility". I recall some interview with James Turk where he just couldn't get beyond it.....but you could tell that the rest of his mind was pushing him towards accepting bitcoin. Just that one insurmountable mental wall. I think that wall is generally bigger for the over 40yrs-old crowd....simply not able to readily accept digital things like the subsequent generation.

It takes time.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Haole (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:32:27 PM

The zerohedge articles are well worth reading but unfortunately the comments aren't.

Even the gold and silver bugs have left: there is a great site http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/ that was basically set up by one guy after getting tired of the zerohedge nonsense. Gets tens of thousands of hits.  

I was involved there for a while during the blogspot days and then the start of the new site.  The TFMR following and the mentality of quite a few followers is bordering on a cult and is worse than ZeroHedge in this regard.   Many of the sharpest minds have left that place also during periods of piss poor moderation and censorship by the idiots once assigned (Stephanie anyone) and Turd's own "moderation" on many occasions.  

I still read Turd's stuff but let's face it, he's been wrong a large percentage of the time for well over a year.  He bases much of his personal analysis on a manipulated CoT structure and dynamics of futures trading.   All that being said I think he does a good job in trying his best and has started to post great interviews with very knowledgeable and connected people in the metals space like Andy McGuire, Jim Willie and Jim Sinclair.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:37:18 PM

You have to keep in mind that the crowd browsing Zerohedge is mostly older (>40 years old), mostly white, and mostly american.
That describes me.
Hey, me too.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:50:03 PM

Looks like that site has a following of 'doomsday preppers', spilled over from various peak oil forums. They are basically a religious cult and one of their dogmas is that all technology invented after 1800 is BAD and must be avoided.   Arguing with these people is as pointless as arguing with a concrete wall.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 12:02:11 AM

1) as mentioned most people went through an education that taught them what to think and not how to think so they lack critical thinking skills and instead reason through emotions and religious beliefs
this
When i think of my overall bitcoin experience i realise how poeple that i would have considered smart totally failed to embrace this  novative concept.
They get stuck on illogic reasoning keeping asking what is backing bitcoin for instance. Totally failing to understand that as a new system bitcoin have to start at some point and that it will never have 5000 years of faith like gold have... that doesn't mean bitcoin is a scam.
This apply both to young and old people.

I feel also quite pretentious thinking it so i just shut my mouth and enjoy my bitcoins.

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
zkay

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 12:14:09 AM

You have to keep in mind that the crowd browsing Zerohedge is mostly older (>40 years old), mostly white, and mostly american.
That describes me.
Hey, me too.

I never meant to imply that people matching that description are bad. Just that people matching that description are generally mistrustful of computers in general, to say nothing of bitcoin.
Haole (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 12:14:55 AM

That describes me.
Hey, me too.

Me three but that's no excuse for being an ignorant doomtard with the cognitive elasticity of a slab of granite.  Man as individuals and as a species has never accomplished anything of lasting value through pessimism and resistance to inevitable change.

Severian

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 12:15:39 AM

Hey, me too.

Is it hard explaining Bitcoin to some of your peers also? : )
Severian

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 12:18:42 AM

I never meant to imply that people matching that description are bad.

No worries, bud. No offense taken. There's a reason for the saying, "There's no fool like an old fool."
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: