Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:52:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I just don't get it.  (Read 10628 times)
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 02:29:46 PM

Has anybody else thought about this question--for a crash to happen, you have to get people to panic, but why should people panic?

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 02:36:19 PM

I can see some foolish investor taking his house mortgage or whatever and go all-in on btc at some price like $40. Such an idiot would definitely panic if the price goes down to $39, so it's only a matter of time before there's enough people with mental stop-losses set within 10% of the current price, who would cash out on the first significant dip in price.

So basically the longer the price steadily climbs up, the more there will be people who have risked and invested what they can't afford to lose, and they will panic, and I don't know, bring the price down to like $25! Smiley

i am satoshi
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 02:40:59 PM

I can see some foolish investor taking his house mortgage or whatever and go all-in on btc at some price like $40. Such an idiot would definitely panic if the price goes down to $39, so it's only a matter of time before there's enough people with mental stop-losses set within 10% of the current price, who would cash out on the first significant dip in price.

So basically the longer the price steadily climbs up, the more there will be people who have risked and invested what they can't afford to lose, and they will panic, and I don't know, bring the price down to like $25! Smiley

One can only hope. The exchange rate re-visits $25/BTC and I'm dumping other investments to get more coins.

oakpacific

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 02:43:30 PM

If that happened, I doubt if bitcoin would have totally gone mainstream already. Grin

What I intend to say is this:Bulls have already profited massively from the current rally, and a bitcoin crash would by no means be a "flash crash", it's going to take days,  if not months, to fully pan out, there would be enough time for a bull to comfortably recoup his investment and make a handsome ,though not maximized profit, before reinvesting a part of his profits in bitcoin, if it's not a "spot the top or lose everything" scenario, why should they panic?

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 02:45:10 PM

What are the factors at play here.. Help me make an informed decision.
demand>supply

also bitcoin gains gold and silver status in the mainstream

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 02:47:12 PM

I mean this in the nicest way possible...please don't buy back in until you get it.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 02:50:51 PM

The way the exchange rate has increased is different as well. The rally has been actively cooled with fake ask walls on a number of occasions.

I don't quite recall '11 exactly enough (it just went too fast) but I think you are right... there was no activity to try to cool the rally.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
KTE

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 03:08:37 PM

However you don't take into account the fact that the people who invested when we were at $10 or $20 have a huge margin before they have any reason to worry as the price is at $35. So the danger of panicking isn't cumulative for each idiot.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 03:17:53 PM

However you don't take into account the fact that the people who invested when we were at $10 or $20 have a huge margin before they have any reason to worry as the price is at $35. So the danger of panicking isn't cumulative for each idiot.

Pssst... guys... the ones who are investing what they can't afford to lose aren't the ones driving this rally. We'd be wise not to base our decisions on their mindset  Grin
blackreplica

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2013, 03:28:40 PM

I am not sure we can conclusively say that every person buying now at this price are investing what they can't afford to lose

www.sgBitcoin.net - The Premier News, Discussion & Marketplace Destination for the Singaporean Bitcoin Community
aznmonky

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 03:53:05 PM

I am not sure we can conclusively say that every person buying now at this price are investing what they can't afford to lose

depends on the person really i think, also food for thought wouldn't any market that thrives on investors have a select group of fools who don't think several steps in every direction ahead? correct me if i am wrong but generally those who invest in bitcoin have a attitude and a set value in their mind their are willing to risk and accept the loss, ultimately it comes down to fear and how everyone reacts to losing the slightly amount or if they decide they can't handle the emotional ride
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 03:57:19 PM

The price of a bitcoin is irrelevant. Even if bitcoin were $1000 each it would be a good investment if it rose to $1200. That's a 20% return!  It's never too late to get in on a rising price.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:01:54 PM

However you don't take into account the fact that the people who invested when we were at $10 or $20 have a huge margin before they have any reason to worry as the price is at $35.

Yes, but they can panic in advance, seeing the price approaching their buy-in level. Not sure that I agree with oak that flashcrash is not possible anymore - Gox is bigger that in 2011, but order book is still thin at only about 100k coins to go to $20, so it takes 2.5 million of profit taking for a significant dip. That's why high prices I think is important - price would be much more stable if we steadily grow to triple digits.

i am satoshi
oakpacific

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:04:56 PM

However you don't take into account the fact that the people who invested when we were at $10 or $20 have a huge margin before they have any reason to worry as the price is at $35.

Yes, but they can panic in advance, seeing the price approaching their buy-in level. Not sure that I agree with oak that flashcrash is not possible anymore - Gox is bigger that in 2011, but order book is still thin at only about 100k coins to go to $20, so it takes 2.5 million of profit taking for a significant dip.

The 2011 crash took about a month to plunge the price under $15, even let's just say, we now have 1/10 of that much time--3 days, would that not be enough for you? Not to say the early adopters did not care that much about at what price they cash out--they got the bitcoins for cents.

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:51:31 PM

The way the exchange rate has increased is different as well. The rally has been actively cooled with fake ask walls on a number of occasions.

I don't quite recall '11 exactly enough (it just went too fast) but I think you are right... there was no activity to try to cool the rally.

There was probably hardly any liquidity left on the exchange either.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:33:36 PM

People always talk about how each bitcoin will worth after each one on the planet will own 1 of them, this is short sighted view in my opinion

Even everyone on the planet already get their hand on bitcoin, it is still early phase of the adoption. The well known limited supply nature make bitcoin a perfect target for saving without worrying about the lose of its value, it is more like a permanent promise about the trustworthiness, and it is backed by mathematics and network (more or less today's prevailing religion)

And the demand for saving is huge, because now we know that government can not hold their promise for repayment of pension due to various problems in the economy/financial crisis etc...

I foresee there will be a huge trend of private pension saving, and bitcoin definitely will become a very important part in that portfolio

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 06:00:58 PM

If you want to understand the potential (or inevitable) adoption of Bitcoin, then look at the adoption of the internet. As the internet is a force of freedom of speech, so will Bitcoin be the force of freedom of exchange.

Given your statement (which i agree with), I think it's slightly amusing how the built-in coin generation rate curve looks a lot like the Internet adoption curve:

That's most likely a meaningless coincidence.  

However, the interesting point from the chart, is that if the adoption rate of both phenomena are similar, it would imply that most of the adoption (& price gains?) will occur approximately within 10 years, i.e. by 2020.  The X factor being that the existence of the Internet accelerates information dispersion and uptake by at least twofold, but on the negative side a brand new type of money has to deal with an entrenched legacy mentality and infrastructure that is tougher to convert.  So perhaps Bitcoin might only need 4 or 5 years to reach global awareness and adoption (similar to something like Facebook between 2008 to 2012), or it could take 20 years to fully overcome the inertia of existing moneys and payment systems.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 06:07:44 PM

If you want to understand the potential (or inevitable) adoption of Bitcoin, then look at the adoption of the internet. As the internet is a force of freedom of speech, so will Bitcoin be the force of freedom of exchange.

Given your statement (which i agree with), I think it's slightly amusing how the built-in coin generation rate curve looks a lot like the Internet adoption curve:

That's most likely a meaningless coincidence.  

However, the interesting point from the chart, is that if the adoption rate of both phenomena are similar, it would imply that most of the adoption (& price gains?) will occur approximately within 10 years, i.e. by 2020.  The X factor being that the existence of the Internet accelerates information dispersion and uptake by at least twofold, but on the negative side a brand new type of money has to deal with an entrenched legacy mentality and infrastructure that is tougher to convert.  So perhaps Bitcoin might only need 4 or 5 years to reach global awareness and adoption (similar to something like Facebook between 2008 to 2012), or it could take 20 years to fully overcome the inertia of existing moneys and payment systems.

i'm much more interested in comparing Bitcoin asymptotic growth to this:

blackreplica

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2013, 06:26:04 PM

Yes, but they can panic in advance, seeing the price approaching their buy-in level. Not sure that I agree with oak that flashcrash is not possible anymore - Gox is bigger that in 2011, but order book is still thin at only about 100k coins to go to $20, so it takes 2.5 million of profit taking for a significant dip. That's why high prices I think is important - price would be much more stable if we steadily grow to triple digits.

Can't argue with you there but there arent that many people who own 100K BTC. And those who do probably were pioneers who picked their coins up for next to nothing. Which, if i am guessing right, will not be too perturbed by sudden price swings as long as bitcoin remains fundamentally sound

As long as BTC performs, or has the potential to perform, the way people think it will. We don't have to worry about a crash of apocalyptical proportions (major price swings on the other hand...). But if one day something happens to end the bitcoin dream (like a major hack, or total global ban) then we all jump ship at the same time and no one will come out of it without losing close to everything they have

www.sgBitcoin.net - The Premier News, Discussion & Marketplace Destination for the Singaporean Bitcoin Community
ajk
Donator

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 06:30:55 PM

agreed with post above

i think to many big players are involved at this point and if one were to go down the market could handle it,

when coinlab opens i am excited to see how the market will react to quarter million dollar buys and sells
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: