Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:57:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I just don't get it.  (Read 10618 times)
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:55:08 AM

piramida, you repeatedly surprise me with nice fore-/insights.

thanks, it's easy to be right when the price goes in a straight line Smiley just wish I spent more time thinking about what bitcoins really is back in 2010, dismissed it as monopoly money first and will never forget this silliness.

i am satoshi

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:59:04 AM

thanks, it's easy to be right when the price goes in a straight line Smiley just wish I spent more time thinking about what bitcoins really is back in 2010, dismissed it as monopoly money first and will never forget this silliness.

I dismissed it as "probably broken software" in May 2010 because my laptop hadn't mined even a measly 0.01 BTC which I would've expected. Stupid me for not looking harder and discovering the smallest unit to mine was a block worth BTC 50...

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 11:03:16 AM

I dismissed it as "probably broken software" in May 2010 because my laptop hadn't mined even a measly 0.01 BTC which I would've expected. Stupid me for not looking harder and discovering the smallest unit to mine was a block worth BTC 50...

You guys would feet better if you come to think of what an early adopter who dumped tens of thousands of BTCs back in 2011 would feel now.

Seriously, this is how Bitcoin and free market combined to achieve fairness of the distribution, we are all just pawns of the history.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 11:05:55 AM

Yep, same. I downloaded blockchain, CPU mined for two days, got worried this crap is burning my laptop and not generating anything, checked forums and saw guys running around with topics like "100,000 bitcoins for 100 dolalrs any takers?", and uninstalled / forgot about it until June next year. Dumb.

i am satoshi
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 11:12:01 AM

Yep, same. I downloaded blockchain, CPU mined for two days, got worried this crap is burning my laptop and not generating anything, checked forums and saw guys running around with topics like "100,000 bitcoins for 100 dolalrs any takers?", and uninstalled / forgot about it until June next year. Dumb.

Dumbness is being punished (not like in the "real" financial world). I like it. A bit less when it's my own dumbness, though.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
josiahgarber

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:32:20 PM

Why does the price of bitcoin keep going up???

I'm pissed now that I sold all of mine.

It's gone up nearly $8 since I jumped ship.

I think about buying back in but I keep thinking it it is a high risk, and hard to make a decent profit at this price... Could it really get into the $60+ range?

I find it hard to believe.

So seriously... What is it?

What are the factors at play here.. Help me make an informed decision.

I just can't figure this thing out.

More people want bitcoins than want to get rid of them.  Bitcoin has the potential to be more important than any company on earth as it could become involved in a significant portion of all transactions around the world.  With this in mind a bitcoin price in the thousands is quite possible.  Consider the Market Cap of Apple and Divide it by 21 Million...  Bitcoin has the potential to be way more important than Apple.  Of course there is a good chance, it could replaced by another currency which works even better or it could have a flaw and go to Zero.

In my opinion Bitcoin as a speculative investment has more potential upside than any investment I have ever seen in my life.  There is also a very high risk of it becoming close to worthless.  I think a good strategy with this in mind is decide what small, or very small percentage of your net worth you want to expose to this risk and then buy and hold.  If things work out you will probably do pretty well.  If they don't you'll lose your small percentage of your net worth invested.

Hopefully that helps.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 02:47:29 PM

Seems like normal growth to date..

This should double again and again !

Before the june 2011 bubble, price doubled few time in less than a month..  That's old data, not really to be compared to those days state of the coin !
After the long correction to 2, price doubled few time in a time frame from 1 to 3 month.. we are still in this trend..

0.1   0.2   3 weeks         late 2010
0.2   0.4   1 week         late 2010
0.5   1.0   less than a week   feb 2011
1.0   2.0   less than 2 weeks   apr 2011
2.0   4.0   less than 2 weeks   may 2011
5   10   less than a month   may 2011
10   20   less than a week   june 2011
Bubble
Bubble pop
then again
2   4   1 month         late 2011
4   8   1 month         mid 2012
10   20   3 month         not so long ago
20   40   1 month         now !

So, IMO, it would be reasonable to call for 80/BTC within 3 month.. and easy way to 100 before 2014 !
Very reasonable, concidering BTC are just in the begining to be known, as 99% of the world population did'nt even heard of it yet.  The 1% who knows about BTC, a small portion realize the power of it.
Very reasonable, concidering the progress made in the last years, are growing from an experiment to something more and more solid, trusted.

Just my opinion !
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 02:54:43 PM

Bitcoin are the future for peoples.. more and more peoples are realizing it.

Fiat are so much debase, and it's only the begining of the realm where fiat are heading to toilet paper use..

World economies are in a so bad shape.. The future is not bright at all..

It took me more than a year to realize how much this thing (bitcoin) is great.  Under 100$ it really undervaluated.. IMO, it will stabilize well over 1000$ !
Before realizing how powerfull bitcoins are, I've sold more than 5000 under a dollar.

This is not yet a bubble, look at all-time data log chart, you will see that we are'nt even entering in the bubble territory.  

Bitoin are to money, what's email are to regular post and even a lot more.. welcome to the future..

When you'll pay 200$ for a week of potatoes, you'll understand.. those who are pilling fiat for their old days will regret so much !

DoomDumas, I love your posts. Not only because we think alike and you're ultra-bull, but also because of your funny-as-hell english mistakes.

I want this part on a T-Shirt:

FIAT
are so much
debase
                   DoomDumas
                       bitcointalk
                        March '13

Wink  I do my best, happy to entertain you Smiley
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:53:09 PM

This is what Excel predicts:

deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:55:40 PM

We'd all be rich if excel could predict the price.  This market has no precedent.   I do hope it follows that line though.  Smiley

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:12:12 PM

Maybe Bitcoin is BRK.A on steroids

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 04:15:50 PM

If you draw that line from the start via the average of June 2011 it would have been $1000000~ now lol.

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:33:51 PM

There are physical limits to where the price can go in monetary terms. I expect first one to be the gold price barrier: ~ 500g Gold/BTC
Please note these physical limits don't exist with paper currencies like the USD, because they are infinitely inflatable.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:39:57 PM

The FED only know one way to stimulate the economy and that is to pour dollars on everything like gasoline.  The M2 has "only" expanded 60% or so in the last three years.  Why?  The FED can't directly change the amount of money in circulation.  It can only create conditions where banks increase debt which produces more money.  However banks have found this great loophole.  They borrow money from the FED for essentially 0% dump it into Tbonds for 2% to 3% and collect a nearly risk free return. 

Still 60% M2 inflation in three years is pretty huge.  You may be wondering if the number of dollars has increased by 60%+ why haven't prices almost doubled.  Well velocity has fallen off a cliff.

Thanks for sharing this chart. I think the decrease in money velocity is the real problem behind the scene, it seems after 2000 the total consumption is decreasing most of the time, and this just showed that economy can not grow forever

But why the velocity is down is much more difficult to analyze. I think it is largely due to money concentration caued by technology advance and globalization/ and less and less future demand

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:53:53 PM

But why the velocity is down is much more difficult to analyze. I think it is largely due to money concentration caued by technology advance and globalization/ and less and less future demand
or.... it is a natural phenomenon whenever money accumulates with a few very rich. They just can't spent fast enough, as the remaining 99.9% would.

"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:57:41 PM

or.... it is a natural phenomenon whenever money accumulates with a few very rich. They just can't spent fast enough, as the remaining 99.9% would.

Or people feel uncertain about being fired in a bad economy, thus logically save more for a rainy day...
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 05:05:14 PM

I wanted to add that divide and conquer also applies to economy... and thus the velocity theory of money.

I don't think it's the people's fault. Watch the movie "end of road". It explains nicely how the situation of the common family slowly eroded throughout the last 40 years, until a point at which they had to take credit to keep up their standard of living. This game has ended now. There's no leverage anymore. The inflation machine has squeezed the economy dry.

OhShei8e
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1059

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:10:58 AM

Its yet to be seen if bitcoin can scale given the block size issue and a hard fork managed badly could seriously put a dent in confidence.

There are good reasons to be cautious.

Any news on this? I'm curious how it works. But too lazy to read the developer list. ;-)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:15:57 AM

The changes needed to make Bitcoin scale aren't conceptually difficult. The only problem is that for some reason people are opposed to allowing Bitcoin to succeed.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:20:46 AM

I actually lol'd when I saw that.  Thanks for the laugh.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: