Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 09:11:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Corsair H50 on 7950  (Read 1440 times)
rafety58 (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:06:40 PM

Have any of you used a H50 or a H70 on a GPU?

My xfx 7950 only gets up to 75C at 950 core, but as soon as I go past that mark I need to up the voltage, which seams to bring the temps up to 85-90C @ 1.1Ghz to 1.2GHz core at 1.080-1.1 volts

I have found a site after some searching, that seams to have a bracket that would let me mount my unused H50 onto my GPU.

Link: http://triptcc.com/product/fan-bracket/

Have any of you used this bracket, if so what where your temps like? The price seams to be really good at just $8
rafety58 (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 07:45:54 PM

So no one on here has done this mod yet?

Well I went ahead and I ordered one, I'll be sure to post pics plus temp results. If it ends up sucking then no biggie as it was only 8 bucks
vdragon

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2013, 08:02:02 PM

Well its not intended for that use, and it aint cheap to play around Smiley. I suppose you have a reference card? Did you think about accelero ?

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
rafety58 (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:21:03 PM

Well its not intended for that use, and it aint cheap to play around Smiley. I suppose you have a reference card? Did you think about accelero ?

Well I already have an extra H50 just lying around unused, plus the bracket was only 8 bucks plus S&H. I also replace the tim on every gpu I buy so I'm not worried about installing it.

The only thing I was worried about was what temps it would give me, but after looking on overclock.net it seams like lots of people who have done the mod, are getting load temps in the 45-50C range.

Like I said I'll post photo's of it, plus temp results when I get the bracket in a week or two
vdragon

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 04:45:38 PM

Good luck and have fun

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
rafety58 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:29:30 PM

So the bracket has come in the mail, and the H50 is installed on my 7950.

The long wait was due to me ordering a custom 120mm fan bracket, instead of the stock 92mm verson

I am now getting load temps (furmark/mining) of 46-50C at stock voltage (1.030) and load temps of 58-60C at 1.130 Vcore. My video card used to get up to 70-80C at stock, the 90-100C mark at 1.1 so I am very happy with the results.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, my camera died after I got a shot of the bracket by itself.

http://i.minus.com/jb0STSu7O4U1al.jpg
http://i.minus.com/jqP90AIuR7JFD.jpg
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:41:52 PM

seriously your going to fry the poor card. the water cooler is only keeping the GPU block cool and theres alot more important stuff than just that block there things like the VCC chips (use alot of voltage and if overheated will fry the whole card) then theres the ram if it over heats youll get artifacts and lots of erros. its why when you buy a watercooling block it covers most of the card to keep everything important nice and cool

rafety58 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:51:19 PM

seriously your going to fry the poor card. the water cooler is only keeping the GPU block cool and theres alot more important stuff than just that block there things like the VCC chips (use alot of voltage and if overheated will fry the whole card) then theres the ram if it over heats youll get artifacts and lots of erros. its why when you buy a watercooling block it covers most of the card to keep everything important nice and cool
The 120mm fan keeps the vrm and memory cooler then the stock one did. The vrm cooling on the 7950 double d really sucks. Plus right now the 120mm fan is only blowing cool air on it, and not 70C+ air being recycled from cooling the gpu.
bit_NINj4

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy assassins

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:55:43 PM

I agree with some other members. I would also take a look at the AC Accelero. You do NOT want to solely rely on cooling the GPU itself. If you do not cool your VRAM your card will not function, therefore some air cooling will be needed and the AC Accelero uses a hybrid cooling system. Liquid for the GPU chip and air for the VRAM etc. In my opinion it is the best option out of the box, but I have had AC equipment fail before the warranty expired only to find out that the gear was discontinued and AC, which is based in Europe would not grant me my manufacturers warranty. Luckily for me, I have a good relationship with the reseller and they RMAed the gear and replaced it with the newer model, but it was only after many emails to AC and the reseller and months of waiting.

You could however use the H50/H70 and buy some cheap copper vramsinks (I recommend Zalman), which will passively cool and attach some 80/100mm fans inside your case to cool the other areas of the card.

It's entirely possible to do so, but be weary and plan ahead.

I hope this helps.

~bit_NINj4

1NiNj4aAHokvr95rYKX4Jew8vZUPV5kmEy
rafety58 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:00:05 PM

I agree with some other members. I would also take a look at the AC Accelero. You do NOT want to solely rely on cooling the GPU itself. If you do not cool your VRAM your card will not function, therefore some air cooling will be needed and the AC Accelero uses a hybrid cooling system. Liquid for the GPU chip and air for the VRAM etc. In my opinion it is the best option out of the box, but I have had AC equipment fail before the warranty expired only to find out that the gear was discontinued and AC, which is based in Europe would not grant me my manufacturers warranty. Luckily for me, I have a good relationship with the reseller and they RMAed the gear and replaced it with the newer model, but it was only after many emails to AC and the reseller and months of waiting.

You could however use the H50/H70 and buy some cheap copper vramsinks (I recommend Zalman), which will passively cool and attach some 80/100mm fans inside your case to cool the other areas of the card.

It's entirely possible to do so, but be weary and plan ahead.

I hope this helps.

~bit_NINj4
This is a hybrid solution, I am using the H50 with a 120mm fan. If you look at the Accelero Hybrid all it is a stock asteck oem AIO cooler and a 92mm fan, just with a ugly ricer looking shroud over it.
bit_NINj4

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:00:08 PM

My bad, I should have thoroughly read the entire thread.

Haf 912. Nice setup. I'm glad to know that you succeeded.

rafety58 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:21:26 PM

My bad, I should have thoroughly read the entire thread.

Haf 912. Nice setup. I'm glad to know that you succeeded.

Thanks for the kind words, and everybody skims post from time to time so no worries.

Now one thing I will say to any one getting this, installation is a two man job. one person needs to hold the bracket and the four screws, while the other person drops the card on top and tightens the nuts over the springs and screws.

It took me two tries to get it mounted right, the first time the copper shim slid during the install and I got worst temps then stock.
bit_NINj4

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:38:01 PM

Did you end up putting any copper on the vrm? And what model 120mm fan did you use? How did you setup the fan/waterblock controller?

I've considered doing this. In Dec I bought a XFX 7870 DD. I have always bought EVGA or XFX for their warranties and they supported modding, but I noticed that the new gen XFX cards have tiny warranty void stickers on the screws for the heatsink. I thought that was downer if they don't support their hardware as much anymore. Regardless..
I'm curious how you control the block and fan. Care to share?

rafety58 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:54:21 PM

Did you end up putting any copper on the vrm? And what model 120mm fan did you use? How did you setup the fan/waterblock controller?

I've considered doing this. In Dec I bought a XFX 7870 DD. I have always bought EVGA or XFX for their warranties and they supported modding, but I noticed that the new gen XFX cards have tiny warranty void stickers on the screws for the heatsink. I thought that was downer if they don't support their hardware as much anymore. Regardless..
I'm curious how you control the block and fan. Care to share?
The fan I am using to cool the vrms/memory is the stock H50 fan, I am using the stock H60 fan on the H50 rad itself. The pump/ rad fan/ and vrm/memory fan, are all run at twelve volts plugged directly into the PSU.

If you did want to control the fan speeds, you could get a Mini 4-Pin GPU to 4-Pin Fan Adapter, and pair it up with a GELID 1-to-4 4-Pin PWM Case Fan Power Connector Splitter Sleeved Adapter Cable. That will allow you to control the speed of up to four fans, just make sure to set a more aggressive fan profile curve on the card, so the vrms don't melt. Or you could just get a fan controller for the 5 1/4 bay. Also always have the pump plugged into the psu so it will run at the full 12 volts.

Now about the warranty void if removed stickers, those only apply to the EU as far as I know. What I do know for 100% is that you are allowed to change the cooler in North America and keep the warranty (I emailed XFX before I purchased the bracket to make sure)

Oh I almost forgot, I have no heatsinks on the vrms, since the 120mm fan cools them better then the stock heatsink ever did
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 06:32:48 PM

Indeed, very radical. Congrats. I love hardware enthusiasts. Thumbs up.

Should post this up at overclock.net mod section or hardocp.com.
bit_NINj4

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 11:58:15 PM

Thanks rafety, I recently had to email XFX about their drivers since the support site is down, I was going to ask about the mod warranty change. I think I'll still ask them, but thanks for the heads up.
I wanted to know about the block pump, I didn't think that it would be best to run it at 100% 24/7, but I guess if you're mining, even the GPU controlled it, it would probably still want to run the pump at 100%.
I'm seriously considering this same setup and I am glad that you posted this.

Also, thanks for the replies

nathangonmad

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:00:51 AM

Literally what this guy said.
cocales

Activity: 148

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:01:29 AM

Can you use the H80 on a 7879le too?

SnowGem.org - Improve upon great ideas of other cryptocurrencies
✔ Privacy ✔ Availability ✔ Profitability ✔ Longevity
Equihash - No Premine - No ICO - Masternodes soon
bit_NINj4

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 01:43:43 AM

Literally what this guy said.

Perhaps you made the mistake of not reading the entire thread.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: