Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:17:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Stopping the halving at a certian number would keep the mining going and the network secure, would you support change?
Never change. - 29 (76.3%)
1 BTC sounds alright - 4 (10.5%)
I would talk about it. - 5 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Halvings  (Read 1604 times)
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 04:24:15 AM

i feel like this is something that should be discussed in the future, because there are so many unknown factors that are affecting it so everything that is said at this point is just blind speculation.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 04:32:48 AM

how does halving work by the the way? how long does it take? a day, a week or a month?

No, a blink of an eye. Or, to be precise, 10 minutes (on average)
Block 419.999: reward=25 bitcoins
Block 420.000: reward=12.5 bitcoins (not exactly sure if this is going to happen on block 420.000 or 420.001, but you got the point I hope)

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 05:30:43 AM

isn't the point of fee to keep the network alive? we have enough time to build the value, so by the time fee will be crucial for mining, they would have a very high value, and miners would keep mining without problem

Fees would/should keep it alive in the long term. But without starting a flame war, most of the hopes for scaling involve off-chain scaling, which effectively removes those transactions from the population that miners could hope to eventually collect fees on.

that's why i'm against any off-chain shit, like LN and other crap like sidechain, capacity can be resolved in another way, via heavy optimization for example
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 05:53:09 AM

No

Mining will run on mining fees

If you want to spend, just pay a small fee,

Since we already have over 2 transactions per second (and reached the limit of what the current bkocksize can support) by the time block rewards become really small we will probabkh have 1000s of transactions per second.   Even if the fees are really low, the miners will make lots of money from fees.

The block rewards are supposed to be a subsidy for miners to help them in the early days where the transaction fees aren't enough to make mining profitable. The network is expected and supposed to grow to sustain itself.
Piltover

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 07:21:22 AM

isn't the point of fee to keep the network alive? we have enough time to build the value, so by the time fee will be crucial for mining, they would have a very high value, and miners would keep mining without problem

Fees would/should keep it alive in the long term. But without starting a flame war, most of the hopes for scaling involve off-chain scaling, which effectively removes those transactions from the population that miners could hope to eventually collect fees on.

that's why i'm against any off-chain shit, like LN and other crap like sidechain, capacity can be resolved in another way, via heavy optimization for example
The most people with Bitcoin are hoping that the halving will be nice and that is because the value of the Bitcoin was already stable for a long time so that have now to recover and will slowly rise and that is nice.
But of course you cant control it and it will be really hard to know what the value will be some people even said that it wont rise in the halving.
Cybertron00

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 07:26:18 AM

1 BTC per block at 21 mill coins is  .2% inflation a year, basically 0 due to lost coins.

IMO a small inflation is equaled out by lost coins.

i really didn't get what really happens when it halving other said that bitcoin will increase price but i know halve means half so it means the bitcoin price will go down but their telling to me that halving is the time that bitcoin price is going up can anyone explain me what really happens when it bitcoin halving ? thank for those who explain it to me thanks
BitsandBites

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 07:58:42 AM

The halving can come in soon but there has to be a price rise before that is going to happen other wise the price is going to be low. That is not a bad thing because then we can buy much more coins then at the moment.
blackmachinegun

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 08:34:45 AM

i feel like this is something that should be discussed in the future, because there are so many unknown factors that are affecting it so everything that is said at this point is just blind speculation.
I think for the good of bitcoin not for the good of one single group such as a group of miners. bitcoin need halving? perhaps up to a certain number?
for now there should be no discussion about this. bitcoin still requires halving for the next decade.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 12:24:34 PM

No

Since we already have over 2 transactions per second (and reached the limit of what the current bkocksize can support) by the time block rewards become really small we will probabkh have 1000s of transactions per second.   Even if the fees are really low, the miners will make lots of money from fees.

The block rewards are supposed to be a subsidy for miners to help them in the early days where the transaction fees aren't enough to make mining profitable. The network is expected and supposed to grow to sustain itself.

I highly doubt the fees will be enough to keep companies mining BTC...
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2016, 12:37:10 PM

No

I highly doubt the economics run that direction.  It is true that if fees do not rise then companies will not mine therefore fees will rise in order to keep companies mining BTC.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3239

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 05:19:43 PM

You are exaggerating. About 50 btc per day is currently paid in transaction fees.  Somebody is going to mine in order to earn those fees.

I highly doubt the economics run that direction.  It is true that if fees do not rise then companies will not mine therefore fees will rise in order to keep companies mining BTC.

I don't think that is necessarily true either because there is a tragedy-of-the-commons problem, as in "I'll let someone else worry about miners getting paid".

The core issue is that the security against a 51% attack equals the cost of mining, which depends on mining revenue. If mining revenue is low, then the security will be low as well.

The only scenarios that will keep the fees (and thus security) sufficiently high are a limit on the block size that induces bidding on space in the block, a very large number of transactions paying 1 satoshi each (requiring an unlimited block size), or something in between.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
bittrojan

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 06:35:45 PM

1 BTC per block at 21 mill coins is  .2% inflation a year, basically 0 due to lost coins.

IMO a small inflation is equaled out by lost coins.

*Edit*
If you don't understand what the halving in this thread is not for you, sorry.  A little more technical of a discussion.
never change,people will support bitcoin halving because they believe it will make bitcoin price better,and its non miner said,but miner said its hard to choose to support bitcoin halving.

ICO investor. Miner. Bagholder Extraordinaire!
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 06:40:20 PM

A lot of blocks are already nearing 1 BTC in fees anyway, and it's only to grow further over time.

The only discussion would be about how sensible it would be to compensate for lost coins, if necessary.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 07:01:09 PM

50 BTC is nothing compared to the power currently used to mine BTC.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3239

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 07:58:57 PM

Now that we have established that fees will be enough to keep companies mining BTC, the issue is how much revenue is enough to secure Bitcoin. You seem to be assuming that the current cost of mining BTC is the minimum necessary, but I don't think that is true. I also don't think that 50 BTC per day is enough, so total fees will have to rise as the subsidy falls at some point, whether by increasing the fee per transaction or by increasing the number of transactions, or both.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 08:29:27 PM

Now that we have established that fees will be enough to keep companies mining BTC, the issue is how much revenue is enough to secure Bitcoin. You seem to be assuming that the current cost of mining BTC is the minimum necessary, but I don't think that is true. I also don't think that 50 BTC per day is enough, so total fees will have to rise as the subsidy falls at some point, whether by increasing the fee per transaction or by increasing the number of transactions, or both.

If bitcoin hash rate is   X

and the world hash rate is 100 000 * X for mining crypto.. there will be problems as attacking bitcoin is a snooze.. :S..

We have never established the fees are enough to keep companies online.. they will bail 100%.  They have not choice but to follow profits or sink.
Josef27

Activity: 784

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 08:34:02 PM

No

I think a small amount of every fee should be pooled, and some how miners, address holders vote on upgrades/ paying for fixes.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 09:45:43 PM

I do see what you are saying about the fees paying for the network though.

One future I imagine is BTC is the king of crypto but it is not cheap to use.  
Making a transaction for something important would want to be done on the most secure chain.
Due to being the most secure chain everyone wants a piece so they can make a transaction they know will last the ages.
BombayChicken

Activity: 269

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 02:10:34 PM

The most people with Bitcoin are now waiting for a higher value and that is because they know that there will be more people that is going to have some profit soon.
But of course it will be really hard to know what the value will bring of Bitcoin but that is the risk that you should take.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: