Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 04:48:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Mining Pool] BTC Guild - PPS/PPLNS with TxFees, Stratum+Vardiff ASIC Tested  (Read 3992 times)
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 11:22:40 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 04:58:19 AM by eleuthria

BTC Guild - https://www.btcguild.com

Server Features
  • Stratum Mining Protocol - Use only ~1 kbps of bandwidth regardless of how large your mining farm is!  Fewer rejects, faster connection, and less overhead!
  • Variable Difficulty - BTC Guild's Stratum pool adjusts your share difficulty based on your speed, reducing the chatter between your mining software and the pool.
  • Minimum Difficulty - If variable difficulty isn't high enough for your taste, set your own difficulty even higher for lower bandwidth usage and less frequent share submissions.
  • Merged Mining - Earn Namecoins and Bitcoins at the same time without any reduction in your BTC earnings (PPLNS only).
  • Idle Warning Emails - If your workers go idle, an email will be sent (if you have set one) to notify you of the worker not submitting shares.

Community Features
  • Mining Teams - Compete with your group of friends, or create a group to compete with other collections of users.  You don't need a garage full of ASICs to find a way to have fun competition with other users.
  • IRC Chat - #btcguild on freenode.net has been around since April 2011.  The pool operator is active for 12-18 hours a day, and questions are always welcome.
  • Lightning fast support - Support emails to BTC Guild have an average turn around time of just a few minutes unless sent late at night/early in the morning.

Payment Methods
  • True PPS - We pay a fixed rate per share, period.  There is no buffer, there is no limit based on good/bad luck.  If your share is valid, your account is credited for the value of that share within seconds.
  • PPLNS - Alternative payment method to PPS.  Unhoppable rewards split similar to proportional.  Offers a lower fee than PPS, for users that don't mind variance.
  • Block TX Fees - Block transaction fees are split with PPLNS users, reducing the effective fee compared to some other pools.
  • Orphan Blocks - Both payment methods (PPS + PPLNS) pay users for orphan blocks, something no other PPLNS offers at this time.
  • Automatic Payouts - Receive payouts automatically when they hit your threshold.
  • Full precision payouts - Get all 8 decimals of your balance transferred when you request a manual payout.
  • On-demand payouts - Request your balance be paid to your wallet at any time by clicking the Request Payout button on the My Account page (minimum 0.1).

BTC Guild offers both "Pure" Pay-per-Share (PPS) and Pay-per-Last-N-Shares (PPLNS).  With PPS, every share you submit is worth a fixed amount based on the current difficulty.  With pure PPS, the pool assumes all risk of bad luck/variance and orphaned blocks.  Regardless of how bad the luck is, you will make roughly the same amount every single day (only changing when difficulty changes).  We assume all the risk of block finding variance, and will purchase additional BTC to meet our liabilities if we have not found enough blocks to make payouts.

With PPLNS, users have a lower fee option if they are okay with the downside (or upside) of variance.  PPLNS is offered at a 3% fee, but also pays orphaned blocks and transaction fees, reducing the effective fee to ~1.5%.  PPLNS is a unhoppable reward method, with payments very similar to proportional.  Current settings use 30 million for "N", meaning every time a block is found, the last 30 million shares (10 completed shifts of 3 million shares each) are paid.  A share can receive multiple payments before it "expires".  PPLNS has variance, but is not quite as bad (on a per-round/shift basis) as what you would experience under Proportional, Score, or some DGM solutions.

To point your miner at the pool, you can use the following (examples for poclbm and Diablo):
poclbm.exe -d1 --host=btcguild.com --port=8332 --user=[username]_[workername] --pass=[anything]
DiabloMiner-Linux.sh -b -o btcguild.com -r 8332 -u [username]_[workername]

Detailed instructions and download links for GUIMiner and CGMIner can be found on our Support Section.

Stratum Mining
Stratum servers offer fewer stales, better performance, and significantly reduced bandwidth for miners.

To connect directly to a stratum server, you can connect to stratum.btcguild.com:3333 for US servers, or eu-stratum.btcguild.com:3333 for our EU server (Germany).  Getwork based servers will provide X-Stratum redirects to users that continue connecting through other IP/port ranges.

PPLNS
Workers can be moved between PPS and PPLNS payment methods on the fly through the Manage Workers page.  The only requirement is that your workers are connected to a Stratum server.

Visit our IRC channel on FreeNode.net to chat with other members or the pool operator (Eleuthria): #btcguild

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 11:23:55 PM

Restarting the newbie thread after the significant changes to the website, making it more user friendly for both experienced and newbie miners.  If you have any questions about mining (even if they're not specifically related to BTC Guild), please feel free to ask in here!  Our IRC room is always open, and you will find me in there from ~8 AM to ~10 PM (PST) every day.

bohdan87

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:41:16 PM

Hello Eleuthria,

I am a new member of BTC Guild and have a few technical problems at the moment. I started mining 2 days ago, and all of a sudden this morning, my main worker goes idle and stops receiving/producing shares. I wonder how I can fix that. I tried restarting the guiminer and reload the btc website to see an update, but no luck. Interestingly, the guiminer says that I am receiving shares, but not the website since it says my worker is idle. Please help.

Thank you,
Bohdan87
bohdan87

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:34:05 PM

Hello Eleuthria,

My worker is active again now, however my guiminer says that I contributed around 550 share for the past 2.5 days, whereas the BTC website says I'm only at 432. What happened to the ~100 shares I contributed?

Thank you,
Bohdan87
finlof

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:07:19 PM

does using mergedmining.btcguild.com:8332 connect to a stratum server?  do you get any speed hit in solves if you use this vs stratum.btcguild.com:3333?
scoupafi

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:15:12 PM

Eλευθερίτσα, μπoρείς να μoυ στείλεις κανένα pm με κανένα skype ή o,τι άλλo, γιατί είμαι νέoς στην όλη φάση και με ενδιαφέρει ιδιαίτερα.
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:57:38 AM

Hello Eleuthria,

My worker is active again now, however my guiminer says that I contributed around 550 share for the past 2.5 days, whereas the BTC website says I'm only at 432. What happened to the ~100 shares I contributed?

Thank you,
Bohdan87

I can't comment on missing shares, other than odds are you have had rejected shares due to connection issues.  It sounds like you're not using the GUI Miner available on the BTC Guild website (Support page), which utilizes the Stratum protocol.  Getwork pools are far more likely to have connection problems than Stratum, and are not highly supported anymore.

does using mergedmining.btcguild.com:8332 connect to a stratum server?  do you get any speed hit in solves if you use this vs stratum.btcguild.com:3333?

mergedmining.btcguild.com:8332 is getwork only.  I do not have any plans to rewrite my Stratum pool software to add merged mining due to complete lack of development in the namecoin project ever since the introduction of merged mining over a year ago.

Sorry for the lack of responses in this thread, it gets no responses most of the time (first one was over a month after my last post), so I do not regularly check it like I should have been.  It's set to my notify list now so hopefully future responses don't have multiple days worth of delays.

bohdan87

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:59:05 AM

Thank you for the reply Eleuthria.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:16:07 AM

i can't connect today, it say:
proibing for an alive pool
disabling extra treadh...
tune dynamic intensity....
treadh 1 being disabled
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:00:16 PM

i can't connect today, it say:
proibing for an alive pool
disabling extra treadh...
tune dynamic intensity....
treadh 1 being disabled

The getwork based pool crashed earlier this morning.  Getwork is considered an end of life protocol at this point, and does not trigger alarms to wake me up in the middle of the night when there is a problem.  It was restored when I woke up.  Updating your miners to one that supports Stratum would solve this problem.

tarui

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 04:16:19 PM

how long does it take for my payout to appear on blockchain info?

is it possible to withdraw a certain amount instead of all the available bitcoins?
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 04:57:12 AM

how long does it take for my payout to appear on blockchain info?

is it possible to withdraw a certain amount instead of all the available bitcoins?

If you want a specific amount, automatic payouts are specific (set it to 0.10, you will get paid exactly 0.10 whenever your account has that much).

Payouts are processed 4 times per hour.  Once per hour for automatic payouts of 0.10 or higher, once per hour for automatic payouts under 0.10, and twice per hour for manual payout requests.  They should appear on blockchain.info within 30 minutes in the case of a manual request (assuming your request hit immediately after a batch was processed).

zombie112

Activity: 15

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 06:49:52 AM

I've read in another thread that you have cookies. Confirm/Deny? Smiley

Okay but for serious, Could I suggest adding any sort of two factor authentication like Google Auth or Yubikey?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: