Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:21:46 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: News in multisignature support?  (Read 981 times)
audenx (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 01:43:43 AM

I've been searching for news (hopefully more recent than this) about how to create multisignature transactions. Are there currently any GUI-based ways to create multisignature transactions? This page on Blockchain.info looked promising, but it appears that this feature has been taken away.

Alternatively, are there any active developer discussions happening outside this forum relating to multisignature support?

Thanks for any leads!
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 01:24:07 PM

Currently no progress is being made on those features. What do you want it for?

If you're thinking of hardware wallets for virus protection, there is some progress being made on that, but it's not presently being done with multi-signature transactions.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2222

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 02:30:48 PM

I wouldn't say NO progress is being made, but there has been a long detour because we need a secure way of telling you WHO you are paying to make multisignature work securely. Otherwise we could have the most nifty, secure multisig system in the world that fails because you THINK you're paying 1kqHKEYYC8CQPxyV53nCju4Lk2ufpQqA2 but a crafty attacker makes you pay them at 1kqHLFyZDBDoPDYwSEtjv5CWka42uGqA2 instead.

So I've been spending most of my time implementing "the payment protocol." I'll write more in a Foundation blog post on Friday.

Payment protocol messages will be part of the information that will be sent between devices or people to make multisig transactions work.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
audenx (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:28:27 PM

What do you want it for?

I'm brainstorming a simple web-based alternative to the web-of-trust trading possible with bitcoin-otc, and I thought it would be nice to provide instructions or even web-based tool to help initiate 2-of-2 or n-of-m multisignature transactions. But it's not a showstopper, so I'll move forward hoping to add it in the future.

If you're thinking of hardware wallets for virus protection, there is some progress being made on that ...

Well, hot diggity! That's cool. I'll add that to my list of things to watch for.

I wouldn't say NO progress is being made, but there has been a long detour because we need a secure way of telling you WHO you are paying to make multisignature work securely. Otherwise we could have the most nifty, secure multisig system in the world that fails because you THINK you're paying 1kqHKEYYC8CQPxyV53nCju4Lk2ufpQqA2 but a crafty attacker makes you pay them at 1kqHLFyZDBDoPDYwSEtjv5CWka42uGqA2 instead.

Okay, that makes sense. (Although I'm sure as I keep learning more about Bitcoin, I'll realize that I totally didn't understand it right the first time Smiley )

So I've been spending most of my time implementing "the payment protocol." I'll write more in a Foundation blog post on Friday.

Payment protocol messages will be part of the information that will be sent between devices or people to make multisig transactions work.

Excellent! Bookmarked the blog and looking forward to reading your post.

Thank you, gentlemen.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 05:22:02 AM

I think multisig escrow would be a great asset to have for in person trades of cash->bitcoin. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: