Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:38:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY can't I send funds from my wallet  (Read 1783 times)
Rodyland

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:11:35 PM

As a relative newcomer to the Bitcoin scene, I will allow myself to be guided by my betters, but I am still a bit upset that all those hours spent clicking on things on the free BTC websites produced payments that are worth far less in reality than I thought they would be.

Yes, I'd be pretty upset with the creators of those sites for luring me in with false hope as well if I were you.

They make no effort to educate their visitors to the limitations of the payouts they provide.

Let me get this straight

paying in fractional btc is not cool and reason to get upset
but charging 2 or more times the amount your are transferring for a minutes computer time to do the transfer is OK

guess I'll stop mining and just rob people to do transfers

It's not a minute's worth of computer time.  Your transaction, all that dust being spent, will be stored by the network FOR EVER.  Any time someone downloads a full blockchain for a brand new full-node, they will have to store and process that giant dust transaction.  That is the reason the fees are what they are.

so the network does the work with their computers with no compensation
and the fee goes to who...
I gotta become the "who"  get paid lots of bit coin for letting everyone else do the work

Are you trying to pick an argument, or are  you truly asking a question here?

The fee goes to the miner who puts your transaction into the block chain.

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RobertRibbeck (OP)

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:17:53 PM

As a relative newcomer to the Bitcoin scene, I will allow myself to be guided by my betters, but I am still a bit upset that all those hours spent clicking on things on the free BTC websites produced payments that are worth far less in reality than I thought they would be.

Yes, I'd be pretty upset with the creators of those sites for luring me in with false hope as well if I were you.

They make no effort to educate their visitors to the limitations of the payouts they provide.

Let me get this straight

paying in fractional btc is not cool and reason to get upset
but charging 2 or more times the amount your are transferring for a minutes computer time to do the transfer is OK

guess I'll stop mining and just rob people to do transfers

It's not a minute's worth of computer time.  Your transaction, all that dust being spent, will be stored by the network FOR EVER.  Any time someone downloads a full blockchain for a brand new full-node, they will have to store and process that giant dust transaction.  That is the reason the fees are what they are.

so the network does the work with their computers with no compensation
and the fee goes to who...
I gotta become the "who"  get paid lots of bit coin for letting everyone else do the work

no argument intended
just wondering how I might get paid for doing that
xfer fees are higher than mining profits

Please "Clear your browser cookies" then use http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/3360 to Join BitCoin Pyramid
  use my referral & I'll refund a % of your first deposit back to your account
  Deposit .5 BTC or more and I'll give back 50% of what I receive

First Deposit of 1 BTC will get 75% of what I get back
Rodyland

Activity: 499

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:24:04 PM

no argument intended
just wondering how I might get paid for doing that
xfer fees are higher than mining profits

Cheesy

That's cool, I truly wasn't sure.

Transaction fees are still quite small compared to the block reward - single digit percentages I believe.  Also, some mining pools pay out tx fees, others keep them and only pay out the block reward.

There is another aspect to transfer fees beyond tx size - and that is coin age.  Older coins are cheaper to spend.  It doesn't help you right now, and with such dust the time required would probably be significant, but I believe _eventually_ your dust transactions would get cheaper.

In the meantime, if you plan on spending bitcoins, but some "real" amounts.  And make sure you set your mining pool payout threshold to a decent size amount to avoid collecting more dust.

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 02:42:51 PM

You might not want to waste your time with Mr. RobertRibbeck.  This isn't the first time he's gotten all worked up about the transactions fees and had them explained to him:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150291.0

He's been mining since 2011:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1976.msg181351#msg181351

I find it surprising that someone can be involved in bitcoin and active on this bitcoin discussion website for nearly two years and still not understand the basics of mining and transaction fees.
RobertRibbeck (OP)

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 02:54:50 PM

You might not want to waste your time with Mr. RobertRibbeck.  This isn't the first time he's gotten all worked up about the transactions fees and had them explained to him:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150291.0

He's been mining since 2011:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1976.msg181351#msg181351

I find it surprising that someone can be involved in bitcoin and active on this bitcoin discussion website for nearly two years and still not understand the basics of mining and transaction fees.

Ah back to cause trouble again ay danny boy
got troll elsewhere and stop ragging me
especially on MY TREAD

Please "Clear your browser cookies" then use http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/3360 to Join BitCoin Pyramid
  use my referral & I'll refund a % of your first deposit back to your account
  Deposit .5 BTC or more and I'll give back 50% of what I receive

First Deposit of 1 BTC will get 75% of what I get back
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 03:38:24 PM

Ah, back to cause trouble again ay eh Danny boy?
Got troll elsewhere and stop ragging me,
especially on MY THREAD

Fixed that for you.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:39:34 AM

The transaction fee goes to the bitcoin pool owner, how they share it to miners is up to them and their honesty!  Wink

The miner only gets the fee if they mine solo (and who does that these days?).

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:47:00 PM

The transaction fee goes to the bitcoin pool owner, how they share it to miners is up to them and their honesty!  Wink

The miner only gets the fee if they mine solo (and who does that these days?).

Sure, but in the case of a pool, isn't it the pool owner that "puts your transaction into the blockchain"?  The individual miners in a pool don't have any control over which transactions go into the block, do they?  So that means that the previous response is "technically" correct?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: