Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:30:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So cool -  (Read 632 times)
TKeenan (OP)

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 06:54:26 AM

How long is it going to remain cool - that when talking to the press one says: "we think blockchain is great, we don't like bitcoin"?  It seems like every interview involves someone saying how remarkable blockchain is but that they aren't at all interested in bitcoin. 
"If you look at our view regarding the blockchain, we want to clearly separate bitcoin from the blockchain. There’s bitcoin as a method of payment, and blockchain as the technology behind it. The latter we find interesting to explore," she said.

OK - for the last 18 months this was the cool thing to say.  But for how much longer will people try to impress others by denouncing bitcoin while telling of their excitement for 'the blockchain'.?  WTF?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6122

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 07:05:02 AM

It's just a matter of time , no worries . I personally think that both SegWit , halving block reward and the block size increase (next year) will make Bitcoin more popular and seen in a different way by those people .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2016, 07:58:02 AM

They have no idea what makes a blockchain work and why the Bitcoin blockchain is so successful. I've read the article from which you've attained that quote, and I'm not impressed. What makes them think that a privately run blockchain is incorruptible? The blockchain is nothing when it isn't decentralized and secured by various miners.

I personally think that both SegWit , halving block reward and the block size increase (next year) will make Bitcoin more popular and seen in a different way by those people .
No. That's not what happens. The quote is from ABN Amro which is a state-owned bank. Most of them will keep fighting Bitcoin until they're left with two options: 1) Go bankrupt. 2) Embrace Bitcoin.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1499

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 08:09:31 AM

They have no idea what makes a blockchain work and why the Bitcoin blockchain is so successful. I've read the article from which you've attained that quote, and I'm not impressed. What makes them think that a privately run blockchain is incorruptible? The blockchain is nothing when it isn't decentralized and secured by various miners.

I personally think that both SegWit , halving block reward and the block size increase (next year) will make Bitcoin more popular and seen in a different way by those people .
No. That's not what happens. The quote is from ABN Amro which is a state-owned bank. Most of them will keep fighting Bitcoin until they're left with two options: 1) Go bankrupt. 2) Embrace Bitcoin.

True! Blockchain technology posses a real threat to the banks nowadays.

But one thing they need to remember, that fiat is still the most popular currency and they will remain the same. People will always prefer to invest the majority of the investable money to a regulated place where the security is at the highest.

Unfortunately, bitcoin does not provides any security. So I don't think they will have to worry.

Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 08:25:43 AM

It's just a matter of time , no worries . I personally think that both SegWit , halving block reward and the block size increase (next year) will make Bitcoin more popular and seen in a different way by those people .
Does that has anything to do for a normal bitcoin user or "general media" as mentioned in the original post ? I don't think so! Popularity of bitcoin was never really due to the technical specifications for the general crowd.People hating on bitcoins but liking blockchain does make sense in a way.They're more inclined towards the public/anonymous environment which creates the endless possibility of ideas to make new things.Iot is one of them and so is bitcoin.The fact is,bitcoin will never die ,there will always be a category of people supporting it and its increasing day by day! The moment all these wannabe blockchain lovers realize the power of decentralized currency they will certainly give up on the banks!
zPanda

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 08:32:25 AM

Just wait for the halving to come...
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 10:39:48 AM

hang on... kinda weird comment coming from lauda, the guy that wants people to use centralized hubs (LN) and sidechains..

i think lauda doesnt understand what bitcoin is either...

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 11:56:27 AM

How long is it going to remain cool - that when talking to the press one says: "we think blockchain is great, we don't like bitcoin"?  It seems like every interview involves someone saying how remarkable blockchain is but that they aren't at all interested in bitcoin.  
"If you look at our view regarding the blockchain, we want to clearly separate bitcoin from the blockchain. There’s bitcoin as a method of payment, and blockchain as the technology behind it. The latter we find interesting to explore," she said.

OK - for the last 18 months this was the cool thing to say.  But for how much longer will people try to impress others by denouncing bitcoin while telling of their excitement for 'the blockchain'.?  WTF?

Let them do whatever they do.If they really want to find out the hard way, so be it.
Some people tried to do in the past with the internet as well, and they built AOL, Compuserve, Prodigy and all their other walled gardes.We know how this played out. This time, as in the past, the big innovation and creativity is coming from the bottom and not from the top.And open permissionless networks have always allowed everyone to build his/her idea on top of it.
Closed networks can't compete with that in the long run.
We will see the infrastructure flip where the old business will run on the new network.So the banks will still be there, but they won't be that dominant anymore.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 11:59:15 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2016, 12:13:15 PM by franky1

the drama about banks is meaningless.

swapping a sql database for anything else, changes nothing at all.. fiat will always be fiat.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2016, 01:26:50 PM

True! Blockchain technology posses a real threat to the banks nowadays.
-snip-

Unfortunately, bitcoin does not provides any security. So I don't think they will have to worry.
I disagree with the first statement. The blockchain technology, as banks like to define it, does not pose a threat. Blockchain based cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin are the threat. I also can't figure out what you meant with Bitcoin 'not providing any security'? Insurance?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2016, 02:29:18 PM

Blockchain is a really old concept. It's the distributed ledger, and the other addons that makes Bitcoin such and exceptional system.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: