Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:37:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL - Update 3/4  (Read 4974 times)
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:13:33 PM

Actually I meant expensive in the sense of recouping the NRE with shipped product and not the actual cost of the wafer.

They'll just make more wafers.  They're not gonna lose any orders for having sacrificed that one wafer (IMO).

It still told them that the chips operate at a basic level.  The test could have gone the other way where the chips didn't operate at all, and they would have needed to start looking for a cause right away.

I think that the manually-wirebound test had value.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:16:49 PM

This whole testing fiasco is really a wonderment.  To lose that many precious (and expensive) chips to only gain a marginal amount of useful information is insane.  At any company I have worked for that kind of decision would have landed someone a pink slip.

To be fair, the cost of a processed 65nm wafer is likely somewhere between $1500-$2000. Not exactly a fortune.
Avalon pays (it is estimated) about 4k per wafer at 110nm.

How is BFL paying half that at 65nm? Somehow your estimates sounds kinda off.

Actually my estimate is if anything, rather high for a 200mm wafer. Have a look here:
http://www.gsaglobal.org/email/2010/general/0222w.htm

If they are using 300mm wafers it might be over $2000, but it still wont cost a fortune, particularly not on such old processes. Note that this doesnt include testing, dicing and packaging, which may cost more than the wafer, but BFL didnt do that on their "burnt" wafer anyway.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:29:08 PM

http://bitbet.us/bet/265/bfl-will-deliver-asic-devices-before-april-1st/

^ there is a lot of free money for your here, Josh!

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
mtminer

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:32:15 PM

This whole testing fiasco is really a wonderment.  To lose that many precious (and expensive) chips to only gain a marginal amount of useful information is insane.  At any company I have worked for that kind of decision would have landed someone a pink slip.

To be fair, the cost of a processed 65nm wafer is likely somewhere between $1500-$2000. Not exactly a fortune.

How many chips per wafer does Avalon get?

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:37:46 PM

Actually I meant expensive in the sense of recouping the NRE with shipped product and not the actual cost of the wafer.

They'll just make more wafers.  They're not gonna lose any orders for having sacrificed that one wafer (IMO).

It still told them that the chips operate at a basic level.  The test could have gone the other way where the chips didn't operate at all, and they would have needed to start looking for a cause right away.

I think that the manually-wirebound test had value.

I guess time will tell.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:44:49 PM

Sounds like they buffered the clocks too much Cheesy
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:22:24 PM

I don't recall. I think it may have been 4,000 chips per wafer. I only recall that the die size is 7x7mm while BFL's is 15x15.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:42:19 PM

I don't recall. I think it may have been 4,000 chips per wafer. I only recall that the die size is 7x7mm while BFL's is 15x15.
I believe Avalon's die size is 4x4 and the packaged QFN size is 7x7, but I don't feel like looking it up. I might have ASICMiner's die size instead, but either way the actual die size will be less than 7x7.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:45:13 PM

That is one damn tiny chip!

(If it is ASICMiners specs...wow, they must have a hell of alot of chips worth to bring online.)
Puppet
Legendary

Merit: 1040

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:01:42 PM

I also suspect the BFL package is 15x15, not the die. 15x15 would be quite large and the die seems rectangular. 15mm is a standard package size though.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:04:38 PM

I also suspect the BFL package is 15x15, not the die. 15x15 would be quite large and the die seems rectangular. 15mm is a standard package size though.

BFL's die is 7.5mmx7.5mm.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:06:43 PM

Actually my estimate is if anything, rather high for a 200mm wafer. Have a look here:
http://www.gsaglobal.org/email/2010/general/0222w.htm

If they are using 300mm wafers it might be over $2000, but it still wont cost a fortune, particularly not on such old processes. Note that this doesnt include testing, dicing and packaging, which may cost more than the wafer, but BFL didnt do that on their "burnt" wafer anyway.

BFL is using a 300mm wafer.
silvalley

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 12:22:49 AM

110nm is an old  technology. You cant expect GH from that. If it was possible the miners with Cyclone and Spartan FPGA already can be made. They aren't so dont be fool to be involved in this ASIC hoax. Also 67117 in btcguild is proxy pool.
regards.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 12:31:31 AM

110nm is an old  technology. You cant expect GH from that. If it was possible the miners with Cyclone and Spartan FPGA already can be made. They aren't so dont be fool to be involved in this ASIC hoax. Also 67117 in btcguild is proxy pool.

Umm...since you essentially called friedcat and eleuthria liars and they have just a wee bit more street cred around here than a newb using an account created last week...I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you for some kind of evidence on this. Nothing personal you understand. Wink

This:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=148162.0

...btw sir sockpuppet does NOT count as evidence.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 01:06:13 AM

110nm is an old  technology. You cant expect GH from that. If it was possible the miners with Cyclone and Spartan FPGA already can be made. They aren't so dont be fool to be involved in this ASIC hoax. Also 67117 in btcguild is proxy pool.

Umm...since you essentially called friedcat and eleuthria liars and they have just a wee bit more street cred around here than a newb using an account created last week...I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you for some kind of evidence on this. Nothing personal you understand. Wink

This:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=148162.0

...btw sir sockpuppet does NOT count as evidence.

Hello, nice forum and nice topics!
creativex

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:12:43 AM

Hello, for those who think GPU is out of business is wrong. Regular FPGA boards just output hash power like RADEON 5770 - 200Mh/s for a hardware cost  5 times 5770, and you still need PC to operate with FPGA board.The long waiting ASIC's never released and probaby not soon, until theese days ASIC's are  considered as scam. But may i have your attention. I have small tech company based in Sofia , Bulgaria (european unit). I made some research on custom hardware for bitcoin mining. The problem is that the good FPGA chips that can output reasonable hash power costs several thausands dolllars each. I found good alternative with one chinese chip manufactorer but still the working prototype will be an expensive investment, at least for me. What i want to build is device that is capable of 2GH/s with own web server and internet connection for pool mining management (because you dont want dedicated PC with the miner) all for retail cost under 500$. The invention will cost around 10,000$ only for materials, my dedicated working hours are not counted and doesnt matter. To reach the 500$ barier two things must be availble- 1st own Pick&place machines (which i dont have), 2nd a good amount of chip order(the more chips, the less the price) for chinese  fabric. A good start is around 130,000$, for prototype, pnp machines, and the chip order. What i have is  a testing equipment.
       So if there are persons who want to invest, or donate for my miner all will be welcome. The first 10,000$ will show if it is possible and is considered as risk investment, which i can not return. If the prototype working with the required parametters the money above first 10,000$ will be considered as donation, investment or preorder(every participant can choose what it is). I can't put  my company info and email here because i dont want spam, but i can give all details in personal. Only serios mind please, my english isnt good for that i can't argue with everybody.

Thank you for the time!
regards
Georgi Krachmarov
g_krachmarov@yahoo.com
Roll Eyes

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=148175.msg1572769#msg1572769

TAKE MY MONEY NOW! Tongue

silvalley

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:48:27 AM

Hello, for those who think GPU is out of business is wrong. Regular FPGA boards just output hash power like RADEON 5770 - 200Mh/s for a hardware cost  5 times 5770, and you still need PC to operate with FPGA board.The long waiting ASIC's never released and probaby not soon, until theese days ASIC's are  considered as scam. But may i have your attention. I have small tech company based in Sofia , Bulgaria (european unit). I made some research on custom hardware for bitcoin mining. The problem is that the good FPGA chips that can output reasonable hash power costs several thausands dolllars each. I found good alternative with one chinese chip manufactorer but still the working prototype will be an expensive investment, at least for me. What i want to build is device that is capable of 2GH/s with own web server and internet connection for pool mining management (because you dont want dedicated PC with the miner) all for retail cost under 500$. The invention will cost around 10,000$ only for materials, my dedicated working hours are not counted and doesnt matter. To reach the 500$ barier two things must be availble- 1st own Pick&place machines (which i dont have), 2nd a good amount of chip order(the more chips, the less the price) for chinese  fabric. A good start is around 130,000$, for prototype, pnp machines, and the chip order. What i have is  a testing equipment.
       So if there are persons who want to invest, or donate for my miner all will be welcome. The first 10,000$ will show if it is possible and is considered as risk investment, which i can not return. If the prototype working with the required parametters the money above first 10,000$ will be considered as donation, investment or preorder(every participant can choose what it is). I can't put  my company info and email here because i dont want spam, but i can give all details in personal. Only serios mind please, my english isnt good for that i can't argue with everybody.

Thank you for the time!
regards
Georgi Krachmarov
g_krachmarov@yahoo.com
Roll Eyes

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=148175.msg1572769#msg1572769

TAKE MY MONEY NOW! Tongue

It's funny Smiley. That i am newbie in this forum does nothing to what i am and what i can Smiley. It is not right for me as a company onwer to say that but as far as i know BFL sales  mining equipment since 2011 and they even dont have any prototype yet, and they will ship thausends of them in any moment, very funny. There are some pictures of ASIC miners  like  PCB's and boxes, but no VIDEO that shows  it actualy working! If i have build working one l would make many  videos that shows how it work realtime with statistics, yeah, definetily would  do that like all the good guys in you tube that build bitcoin farms with many GPU's.
for me 67117 is proxy pool with big rejection rate.
It is fine to call me newbie. 
creativex

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:59:55 AM

It's funny Smiley. That i am newbie in this forum does nothing to what i am and what i can Smiley. It is not right for me as a company onwer to say that but as far as i know BFL sales  mining equipment since 2011 and they even dont have any prototype yet, and they will ship thausends of them in any moment, very funny. There are some pictures of ASIC miners  like  PCB's and boxes, but no VIDEO that shows  it actualy working! If i have build working one l would make many  videos that shows how it work realtime with statistics, yeah, definetily would  do that like all the good guys in you tube that build bitcoin farms with many GPU's.
for me 67117 is proxy pool with big rejection rate.
It is fine to call me newbie.

I'll not be put in the position of defending BFL. Let em have it, they're completely full of sh1t.

You lose credibility immediately however when you lump jgarzik, friedcat, eleuthria, and bitcoin foundation in with the butterfly cowboys.

LazyOtto

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 03:44:05 AM

You lose credibility immediately
Yep.

I think it is the first time I've hit the ignore button on someone with such a low post count.  Smiley
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 12:22:16 PM

new pics
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/dbtgallery.php?do=browse_user&userid=1&gal=gallery&id=7&type=albums

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: