Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:48:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL worth it now?  (Read 5244 times)
The Koolio (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Minds are like parachutes they work best when open

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 04:06:24 AM

If I chose to put an order down on a 60gh unit do you think I would get it too late to make any profits? Im tempted to buy one but I think I may be too far back in the queue.

1. Litecoin 2. Bitcoin 3. Any of the Anon coins

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:23:47 AM

Yes it isn't worth it.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 04:38:43 AM

Don't waste the cash....

In Jan Josh said "you order now, you get it in Feb"
In Feb Josh said "you order now, you get it in Mar"

It is march now current orders are up at about 20,000

A few dozen Avalons have hit the road, and already the difficulty is 4.2mill  PPS is down at 0.0000054374254214, which is down 20% from a couple of weeks ago.

Also BFL have gone completely quite, this was after the 'hot dream' less than a week ago of getting chips and them starting the 'bumping' process...

I actually wish I had gone with Avalon, when I saw it in Sep.....

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 05:02:01 AM

After I start getting my pre-orders, I plan on purchasing more Singles. I consider it worth it, but I'm looking long-term.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 05:52:01 AM

It's a tough call, my guess is that current orders will arrive around 2 months after the first orders ship, which may be next week. The hope is that rising difficulty will go hand in hand with rising BTC price, but that is not a given. Even if it does, it's highly unlikely that BTC value will rise at the same rate. Current estimates point to anywhere between 500 and 750 th out there by July. BTC would need to be anywhere from $560-$840 per coin by then to keep the current profitability scale. Very unlikely, but if you told me BTC would soon be approaching $40 this time last month, I would not believe it.

Also, keep in mind that BFL has touted the ability to produce 400 devices a day in the very near future. At that rate you could probably order a device and receive it within a few days. What that also means is a serious dillution of existing and future rig profitability, and in my opinion, huge price drops. Avalon and ASICMiner may not be able to compete in a price war with BFL, but BFL may end up having one with themselves if sales start to slow.

In any case, you can't make money if you don't risk any. So you know what to do...(build a time machine and go back to 2010. Buy 100,000 btc for 100 bucks or so, travel to 2018 and sell them for $100,000,000)

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
Beans

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 06:09:03 AM

It's impossible to say, the best bet is to wait and see what they pay out. Those who invested early with BF will never make back what they would have just holding btc. BF is so far behind now I expect it will take them 7 months to catch up to current orders. I think even that is optimistic. BF seems to be near some kind of time dilation field. When I retire I may move down there, even if my Doctor only gives me 4-6 weeks. That's almost a year in BF time.
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 06:35:49 AM

It's a tough call, my guess is that current orders will arrive around 2 months after the first orders ship, which may be next week.

I think both those #s are extremely optimistic.

With BFL, always, ALWAYS look at the glass half full...
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 06:36:35 AM

Current estimates point to anywhere between 500 and 750 th out there by July. BTC would need to be anywhere from $560-$840 per coin by then to keep the current profitability scale. Very unlikely, but if you told me BTC would soon be approaching $40 this time last month, I would not believe it.

Well who on earth is actually expecting a 6 day 100% ROI? Me personally, I'm looking for a 6-8 month ROI, which I consider to be quite standard in the past, considering the cost/return of GPUs and FPGAs, and is still completely obtainable wth BFL equipment, even at high difficulties. With a difficulty of 100Million, which is on the high side of your estimate at 700TH/s, you're still looking at less than a 5 month ROI. A network of 1000TH/s and difficulty of 140Million is still a 7 month ROI. What is there to complain about that?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 06:46:43 AM

Current estimates point to anywhere between 500 and 750 th out there by July. BTC would need to be anywhere from $560-$840 per coin by then to keep the current profitability scale. Very unlikely, but if you told me BTC would soon be approaching $40 this time last month, I would not believe it.

Well who on earth is actually expecting a 6 day 100% ROI? Me personally, I'm looking for a 6-8 month ROI, which I consider to be quite standard in the past, considering the cost/return of GPUs and FPGAs, and is still completely obtainable wth BFL equipment, even at high difficulties. With a difficulty of 100Million, which is on the high side of your estimate at 700TH/s, you're still looking at less than a 5 month ROI. A network of 1000TH/s and difficulty of 140Million is still a 7 month ROI. What is there to complain about that?

Yes 6-8 months is perfectly acceptable in my opinion, I purchased my fpga singles with that assumption. Current buyers do have a few variables that need to be analyzed beforehand though. BTC value, delivery time, necessity of preorder with impending mass production, and future ASIC prices. All of that said, current BTC value, market trend, and network hashrate estimates appear to point to a safe investment. Looking at our short history, that could all change in a day.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:33:33 AM

If I chose to put an order down on a 60gh unit do you think I would get it too late to make any profits? Im tempted to buy one but I think I may be too far back in the queue.

At this point I think you should wait until they've demonstrated a functional shipping product. Their own chart indicates that they expect current(March) orders to ship in June and as we've seen time a time again BFL estimates are consistently overly optimistic.

squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:18:11 PM

Agreed on the waiting part, I have one early (first batch) unit, I will not part with any more untill I see a working unit (either by me or a trusted user here with pics)
NEO2012

Activity: 162

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 05:49:47 PM

jsut watch the payd trolls  who said yes  its worth it

and even post a bfl unoficial table of shiipping

after half a year of delays and not having one single  jelly even in existence even in there lab for there own testing  not  shipping or deliveries to speak off

dont waste ur time and money  at this stage in the game
NEO2012

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:51:41 PM

DUDE ULL MAKE UR MONEY BACK

JUST WILL TAKE 2 - 4 YEARS

THATS ALL
NEO2012

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:52:56 PM

Don't waste the cash....

A few dozen Avalons have hit the road, and already the difficulty is 4.2mill  PPS is down at 0.0000054374254214, which is down 20% from a couple of weeks ago.

Also BFL have gone completely quite, this was after the 'hot dream' less than a week ago of getting chips and them starting the 'bumping' process...

indeed  bfl nothing  but  lies   3 weeks delays  for a 24 hours process like bunping

chips are now at packaing with as josh admited  already run intro problems

expect another  3 weeks delay

and 3 more steps  with and avarage of  3 weeks delay per step

and we only talkin about  the orders placed in june2012

if u order now u wont see a fl asic  til 2014  for sure
enocog

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:49:08 PM

Don't waste the cash....

indeed  bfl nothing  but  lies   3 weeks delays  for a 24 hours process like bunping

expect another  3 weeks delay

and 3 more steps  with and avarage of  3 weeks delay per step

and we only talkin about  the orders placed in june2012

if u order now u wont see a fl asic  til 2014  for sure

+1 Seems as if they having some serious engineering problems. I wonder if it's hardware, software or both. The thing that seems fishy to me as an engineer is, I design stuff everyday run it through calculations, simulations so on and so forth. When the design is complete and assembled it may require miner tweaking but it all works and there's never delays like these guys have. They are using the BTC community to fund there R&D not nice Angry
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 08:19:04 PM

Also, keep in mind that BFL has touted the ability to produce 400 devices a day in the very near future. At that rate you could probably order a device and receive it within a few days. What that also means is a serious dillution of existing and future rig profitability, and in my opinion, huge price drops. Avalon and ASICMiner may not be able to compete in a price war with BFL, but BFL may end up having one with themselves if sales start to slow.

If BFL actually shipped 400 60 GH/s units per day, they would be adding 24TH/s to the network each day.  In 3 months, the network hashpower would be 2200 PH/s (plus all the other ASIC supplier shipments).

Your super SC would be generating less than 0.1 BTC per day.  And you can expect that ASIC suppliers would be dropping their prices so they could continue to sell hardware, further eroding your income over time.

Of course, BFL's track history makes it much more likely that they will struggle to ship 10 units / day.  In terms of placing a new order, that means you can expect delivery sometime after the next block reward halving.   Grin
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 09:06:22 PM

Source? I seem to have missed this news and I've been keeping up to date with his posts and the "unofficial BFL news" twitter feed.

How do you know this? Someone I know who worked for an electronics company said it took between 6-10 weeks from the when the fab receives the ASIC design. He said the packaging process took between 1-2 weeks. This is for an established and experienced company in a good relationship with the fab. Admittedly though, he doesn't know much about the process but from where I stand right now, you've not mentioned your experience or research at all. He also did not mention bumping but I find it hard to believe this is a 24 hour process, especially when a fab has multiple customers.

So please, enlighten me on the manufacturing processes and send me a link to the news item I missed.

Surpbitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 09:13:47 PM

In terms of placing a new order, that means you can expect delivery sometime after the next block reward halving.   Grin

Priceless.. I almost pissed my pants when I read this!

2 thumbs up!
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:59:31 AM

How do you know this?  Someone I know who worked for an electronics company said it took between 6-10 weeks from the when the fab receives the ASIC design. He said the packaging process took between 1-2 weeks. This is for an established and experienced company in a good relationship with the fab.

That's how BFL strings people along with fake schedules.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/692-bfl-asic-status.html#post13172

Quote from: BFL_Josh
It should not take more than 24 hours to bump all our chips and get them to the packaging facility, where it will take another ~24 hours (probably less) to package them

Don't you love the "probably less" thrown in there just to give people hope when there's no way in hell it'll ever happen.

Buy & Hold
NEO2012

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:59:31 PM

If BFL actually shipped 400 60 GH/s units per day, they would be adding 24TH/s to the network each day.  In 3 months, the network hashpower would be 2200 PH/s (plus all the other ASIC supplier shipments).

Your super SC would be generating less than 0.1 BTC per day.  And you can expect that ASIC suppliers would be dropping their prices so they could continue to sell hardware, further eroding your income over time.

Of course, BFL's track history makes it much more likely that they will struggle to ship 10 units / day.  In terms of placing a new order, that means you can expect delivery sometime after the next block reward halving.   Grin

i couldnt of said it better  if u order today by the time u receive ur unit u will be making 0.01 btc a day
taking years=2-4 to recopup ur investment
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: