Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:44:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Unlikely Bitcoin price will ever surpass $5,000  (Read 6810 times)
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:10:02 AM

If each Bitcoin was worth $5,000, then the size of the Bitcoin market cap/circulation would be about $100Billion which feels like a upper limit.

Any higher than $100,000,000,000 would mean Bitcoin is being used as a national currency which seems unlikely.

Does anyone else feel that $5,000 per coin would be the upperlimit, maybe taking 20 years to reach?
deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:13:28 AM

If each Bitcoin was worth $5,000, then the size of the Bitcoin market cap/circulation would be about $100Billion which feels like a upper limit.

Any higher than $100,000,000,000 would mean Bitcoin is being used as a national currency which seems unlikely.

Does anyone else feel that $5,000 per coin would be the upperlimit, maybe taking 20 years to reach?

Where do you get those numbers???

100 billion is not that much money for a medium size country and we are talking about a currency that the world can use! ANYONE connected to the internet can use bitcoin so please, provide a more elaborate explanation to your theory.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
mralbi

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 07:17:39 AM

Well, for sure we will not see the 5000 USD within the next weeks, but hopefully i am wrong ;-))

IMO it is a wrong assumption to say that it is not possible. The bitcoin price should NEVER be interpreted as "All bitcoins have the actual market value". A price of 5000 USD can in theory show up on an exchange when nobody buys nor sells bitcoins at all, except for me selling to myself a very low amount 0.001 Bitcoin for 5 USD.

So in other words, the price alone does not tell you anything abuot the "magnitude" or "importance" of the currency, as usually the biggest amount is usually simply not traded.

drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:19:06 AM

If its possible to have a secondary currency worth 1 trillion that would be awesome, but doesn't that mean some national currencies would have to take a back seat, and that seems unlikely right?

According to http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110104155108AAUzBen there is 260 billion Australian dollars in circulation, and Australia is a very strong and powerful economy. I can't imagine Bitcoin being worth more than the AUD
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:19:36 AM

Obviously OP is not taking into account INFLATION.

$100 billion could buy you some eggs in a few years lol

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:22:12 AM

Obviously OP is not taking into account INFLATION.

$100 billion could buy you some eggs in a few years lol

This is true, of course what ever $100 billion would be worth in 20 years. Smiley

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:31:38 AM

$5,000 long-term?
You can count on much higher, since the Dollar will be trash.

drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:35:18 AM

$5,000 long-term?

I'll be honest here, is the USD really doing that badly? I thought inflation was only around 2-3%
evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:39:32 AM

No, and it is.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:42:47 AM

$5,000 long-term?

I'll be honest here, is the USD really doing that badly? I thought inflation was only around 2-3%

Learn from history:

evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:47:16 AM

That was post-WW1 Germany, not the US.
mralbi

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 07:48:35 AM

$5,000 long-term?

as long as inflation is only meassured with this "consumer price index" crap governments can pretend it is around 2 or 3 percent. It is just crap, as the entities "creating" the money (BANKS) will not buy plasma TVs, cars, holiday trips or whatever consumer stuff, but they will buy certificates, debt papers, precious metals or stocks/derivates. THERE you can see the real inflation ;-)

PS: you can also see it in the official figures already... when a computer hardware is getting 10 times faster they will artificially calculate the statistics that way that the price has lowered by factor 10 to "compensate" for increased fuel and/or electricity prices

piramida
Legendary

Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:05:01 AM

More like 5 years. Yes, four digits is where my first sell orders are. buy at two digits, sell at four, double your digits investment Wink

i am satoshi
Nagato

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 08:38:03 AM

M0 is the wrong metric to use.

All the money in circulation and in our bank accounts, money which is used to trade for actual goods/services is M3. Everything in the world is not priced according to M0(which is only of relevance/accessible to banks and the Central Bank). As long as M3 does not collapse, you should price things in M3. If M3 collapses, the currency will be toast anyway as all banks will go under and people lose faith in the currency/finanical system.

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:47:28 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3mxVjB4aqI

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:27:24 AM

So many of you have confidence that Bitcoin could be a 1 Trillion dollar economy? (in today's value)

Also lost coins will add to the scarcity.
josiahgarber

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:36:38 PM

Ask yourself this question.  Is it possible Bitcoin could become more valuable than the company Apple?   I think so.  And if it does it will be worth much more than 5,000 per coin.

Here's another thought.  Why is the U.S. Dollar better than Bitcoin?
josiahgarber

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:38:35 PM

Yes the USD is doing terrible especially from an investment or savings perspective.  Inflation of ~2-3% is terrible, but real inflation is much higher I would estimate in the 5-7% range annually.  Governement CPI numbers are cooked numbers.  Check out the explanation at ShadowStats.com
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:45:57 PM

Zimbabwean president in 1988 : "That was post-WW1 Germany, not Zimbabwe."
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:46:41 PM

there is no upper limit imposed here by the amount of capital that COULD flow into the bitcoin network. One potential upper limit though is provided by the fact that it would become almost imposable for the bitcoin system as it exists today to scale up to > 100 transactions per second. If bitcoin had 100billion in capitalization than there would be demand for far more than 100 tx per second. This would cause transaction fees to incrase to the point where bitcoins would become impractical for day to day trade.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: