Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:22:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum’s $150-Million Blockchain-Powered Fund - Researchers Call For a Halt  (Read 534 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2016, 03:10:31 PM

Ethereum’s $150-Million Blockchain-Powered Fund Opens Just as Researchers Call For a Halt

At 9 a.m. GMT this morning, funding closed on an entity called The DAO. It’s a blockchain-enabled financial vehicle that’s structured kind of like a cross between Kickstarter and a venture capital fund and which now runs autonomously—no humans needed—on the fledgling Ethereum network. The DAO (short for decentralized autonomous organization) raised over US $150 million worth of the bitcoin-like cryptocurrency, Ether, during a feverish, 27-day sale.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/computing/networks/ethereums-150-million-dollar-dao-opens-for-business-just-as-researchers-call-for-a-moratorium

GreenBits
Legendary

Merit: 1048

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 06:43:43 PM

Excellent article. I had general issues with the concept of crowd governance,  I was not even aware of the voting rules that went along with this "grand experiment". Simply insane. As said before, this system makes it too easy for a single actor, or cabal of actors, to subvert the group will to their own wishes. I have a feeling this DAO thing is going to go south quickly in the future, and the entire would will be watching.
vlad12

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 08:46:53 PM

Excellent article. I had general issues with the concept of crowd governance,  I was not even aware of the voting rules that went along with this "grand experiment". Simply insane. As said before, this system makes it too easy for a single actor, or cabal of actors, to subvert the group will to their own wishes. I have a feeling this DAO thing is going to go south quickly in the future, and the entire would will be watching.

Well that's kind of how actual companies work. A small group of people make the decisions for all the stakeholders even if a minority of stakeholders disagree with the motion. I cant buy 100$ worth of Apple stock and expect to have my opinions influence the direction of the company in any meaningful way. The problem I see here is that actual companies have very qualified individuals calling the shots, whereas the DAO you just have anonymous actors, most of which are lucky ETH IPO investors and probably know close to nothing about running a company.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 09:37:43 PM

@vlad12

Miss the obvious much ?

"Companies" are regulated by the SEC, FBI etc are Altcoins ?

This whole cliche'd dipshit moronic comparison to REAL business is stupid beyond comprehension.
I will permit you guys to continue to use stupid analogies and comparisons
when we have our own Martha Stewart jail sentence..
As in, the old lady who baked pie's on TV was sent to jail for "Insider Trading"
How many corrupt assholes in Crypto are guilty of this and much more ?

My argument here decimates your idiotic bullshit shit coin scam aficionado's.
So you can't hang around and make moronic excuses for retard scammy ICO / IPO garbage like DAO or ETH
They are both nothing but glorified shitcoin IPO digital Pyramid scheme scam "tokens"
And supporting them after you have been warned makes you all an accomplice to this criminal behavior.

And when the cops come and they will be.. i hope you dicks get nailed as you all scrammble pointing fingers
..playing stupid of course.

Fuck you and your scammy retarded IPO shit coin scams.
Want money ? Get a fucking job at McDonalds assholes.

FUD first & ask questions later™
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 01:11:39 AM

Fuck you and your scammy retarded IPO shit coin scams.
Want money ? Get a fucking job at McDonalds assholes.

I still think you are a cunt BUT

rock the fuck on with this statement. the party van is coming for these fuckers and they do not even know it.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
GreenBits
Legendary

Merit: 1048

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 01:33:45 AM

Excellent article. I had general issues with the concept of crowd governance,  I was not even aware of the voting rules that went along with this "grand experiment". Simply insane. As said before, this system makes it too easy for a single actor, or cabal of actors, to subvert the group will to their own wishes. I have a feeling this DAO thing is going to go south quickly in the future, and the entire would will be watching.

Well that's kind of how actual companies work. A small group of people make the decisions for all the stakeholders even if a minority of stakeholders disagree with the motion. I cant buy 100$ worth of Apple stock and expect to have my opinions influence the direction of the company in any meaningful way. The problem I see here is that actual companies have very qualified individuals calling the shots, whereas the DAO you just have anonymous actors, most of which are lucky ETH IPO investors and probably know close to nothing about running a company.

You are correct  in that this is similar to how companies work. However, real companies have an additional layer of governance, the SEC. The SEC figured out a long time ago that money and anonymity don't really work to well in practice. The ability to know who has what allocation of shares along with the ability to see how said shares voted, prevents actors from behaving immorally as they would be subject to prosecution. If we don't have an individual to assign liability to, this quickly becomes a quasi legal clusterfuck waiting to explode. Wait until someone loses a significant amount of value on one of these "projects" and becomes litigious. Who gets sued? The yes voters? The caretakers? The developers, or the exchange that hosted the orderbook? Possible even all shareholders (it was a majority decision..)?

Until these concerns are addressed, this 'asset' is a bit poison for my tastes. Ethereum has promise, but shit like this is Ethereum shooting itself in the foot. Something this experimental leaves too much upside risk to associate with, especially as a burgeoning technology that is trying to gain a foothold next to something as established as btc. The only caveat of Ethereum is smart contracts. They are cool, but the use cases seem like they can be solved with sidechains. And the energy being used to develop these alts can be directed towards the technology we have the most experience with, good old bitcoin. Blockchain technology is not going to save the world, it's going to help some facets of politics, and finance. And that's all we really need it to do.

64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 05:46:24 AM

I think the researchers are calling a halt for the simple reason that they are behind the curve. In terms of people gaming the DAO, this assertion is lame. Corporations game the the tax code (Apple, corps setting up in Ireland, off shore money in other places etc etc), they game the customer (VW and smog control, tobacco companies) and they game the legal and political system for lots of dollars. So why are we sweating the small stuff?

The point is $150 mil funded DAO for an advanced development projects is peanuts. Billions and billions have been spent on developmental projects that dudded out. Moto spent $1-2 billion on Iridium, $0.5 billion on flat panel displays. Intel burned up money trying out the DRAM market. Micron chased camera chips. Philco went after TV's. GM has spent a small fortune trying to learn how to make small cars (Saturn). Umpteen companies tried to get into the computer business. etc etc.

As the former COB (Schmidt?) of Google once said, he was afraid of guys inventing stuff in a garage. I think what the DAO has the potential to do is streamline and open up the VC world to outsiders especially the garage guys. The obvious stuff such as handing IP generation and its ownership, capital expenditures, etc etc will have to be worked out. Obviously, someone shouldn't invent or startup a facebook class idea with DAO money and then walk away to a VC. Think about the DAO vis-a-vis in the context of the history of finance. Huge financial rewards in the past have been a sign of market inefficiencies that need to be addressed.

So I think the one thing that this particular DAO should do is fund the legal infrastructure for all future DAO's. Codify what a DAO investor owns for their contribution among other things. All this negative blah blah though is a bit like blaming JC Maxwell for not also inventing radio communication.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: