Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:12:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly labs refusing escrow for $300k order  (Read 5319 times)
anarchy (OP)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:08:13 AM

Just got off the phone with butterfly labs and they refuse to give a discount or do escrow for 10 mini rigs worth $300k.  There is no way I will prepay that money while praying for 4 months. The guy was also extremely unfriendly.
vdragon

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 10:09:35 AM

Makes you think, doesnt it ?

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:10:32 AM

Interesting development....

BitHits

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 10:11:37 AM

Anyone else notice the ironically placed ad Wink

http://gyazo.com/9e34c577993e6d7741570dd7329a154e.png

Free BTC http://beta.BitHits.info BTC 1DNNERMT5MMusfYnCBfcKCBjBKZWBC5Lg2 DGC DH2Pm4VXxsTeqUYZkEySU1c8p5TLvuLe8u LTC LP2QiL1pnsaKVX5Qa811pFJuFL8FxkxWRz
Grover

Activity: 137

I was thinking Stay Puft, but Gozer said Grover

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 06:44:25 PM

Just got off the phone with butterfly labs and they refuse to give a discount or do escrow for 10 mini rigs worth $300k.  There is no way I will prepay that money while praying for 4 months. The guy was also extremely unfriendly.

Damn. You want to buy 10 of the 1.5TH/s machines?  That's awesome.

Are you going to sell shares in a mining consortium or operate them alone?

I've been thinking of getting a 60GH/s machine and been trying to decide if I should wait for BFL or try and get in on Avalon with the much worse hash/watts ratio.

But if preordering in BTC now is the time to do it since USD to BTC is so high, as long as you trust you will receive delivery or a refund if BFL does not perform.

From what I read elsewhere when people preordered last year the exchange of USD/BTC was 6/1 or about ~217BTC per 60GH/s unit, now that unit is ~40BTC that's about ~5 times fewer BTC per unit.

Regardless BFL doing escrow or not, which apparently they do not, these preorder's for their ASIC's have made them BTC rich and a major player in the market for BTC.  From what I've read here originally USD/BTC was 6/1.  Seems to me if BFL was selling BTC at the time to cover costs that require currency (I know y'all state BTC is currency, I'm pretty sure it's a commodity) then it seems like USD/BTC would have dropped or remained close to $6.

I'm new to the game so I haven't yet spent the time researching all the exchanges and pricing on sell orders but somewhere someone with a plan is bidding up the price of BTC to make their position more valuable in UDS/BTC (Holds true for any currency that can be indexed to USD or traded for BTC).

If you were BFL what would you do with all the BTC you received for preorders?  Sit around and look at a digiwallet? Or get a broker/banker/market maker to drive up USD/BTC?

Sure for the time being BFL and other companies that accept BTC for items priced in USD or another currency are getting fewer BTC, but I think as soon as someone clears their inventory of BTC at the current market then USD/BTC will drop.

I'm new to this game and this is just my 0.00000002 Bitcents
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:33:14 PM

Escrow will not allow them to refund earlier customers, pay contractors, and stash some away for a rainy day.

mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:33:22 PM

Regardless BFL doing escrow or not, which apparently they do not, these preorder's for their ASIC's have made them BTC rich and a major player in the market for BTC.  From what I've read here originally USD/BTC was 6/1.  Seems to me if BFL was selling BTC at the time to cover costs that require currency (I know y'all state BTC is currency, I'm pretty sure it's a commodity) then it seems like USD/BTC would have dropped or remained close to $6.

I'm new to the game so I haven't yet spent the time researching all the exchanges and pricing on sell orders but somewhere someone with a plan is bidding up the price of BTC to make their position more valuable in UDS/BTC (Holds true for any currency that can be indexed to USD or traded for BTC).

If you were BFL what would you do with all the BTC you received for preorders?  Sit around and look at a digiwallet? Or get a broker/banker/market maker to drive up USD/BTC?

Sure for the time being BFL and other companies that accept BTC for items priced in USD or another currency are getting fewer BTC, but I think as soon as someone clears their inventory of BTC at the current market then USD/BTC will drop.

I think BFL is using BitPay for their preorders so the bitcoins are converted to USD as soon as someone pays via bitcoin.  That's what started the whole issue with people not understanding that they were being refunded the USD equivalent of what they paid when they paid it, when they got a refund for a bitcoin order.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:52:31 PM

I'm sure BFL is happy to let you wait until they fill all current preorders and you don't have to wait 4 months anymore.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:55:11 PM

That is a really stupid way of investing 300k into bitcoin mining.

You should at least diversificate.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:15:16 PM

Escrow will not allow them to refund earlier customers, pay contractors, and stash some away for a rainy day.

THIS ^ makes BFL a PONZI.

Pay off earlier customers with new customer money...rinse repeat. Let's hope BFL didnt blow the bulk of their pre order moniez on stupid stuff.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:17:52 PM

Who says he doesn't diversify? Wink
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:20:59 PM

...Let's hope BFL didnt blow the bulk of their pre order moniez on stupid stuff.

Yes the trip to Vegas didn't cost much, at least not for the hardware display.   Cheesy

cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:30:35 PM

Who says he doesn't diversify? Wink

You must be correct. My bad.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Grover

Activity: 137

I was thinking Stay Puft, but Gozer said Grover

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:46:46 PM

Sure it could.  An escrow account is better leverage to borrow against than purchase orders or some other statement of intent to buy that is only a contract with no collateral.

I think BFL is using BitPay for their preorders so the bitcoins are converted to USD as soon as someone pays via bitcoin.  That's what started the whole issue with people not understanding that they were being refunded the USD equivalent of what they paid when they paid it, when they got a refund for a bitcoin order.

Thanks for the info.  I've been reading about Bitpay.  So Bitpay got the BTC.

I can see where people got real confused with differences in payments based on an exchange rate.
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 03:22:56 AM

This is a good point. If you paid with BTC and you asked for a refund and they refunded you with USD that would be very odd.  What it you were allergic to USD or hated it?

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 02:25:35 PM

Hw much interest has BFL earned on the USD they collected ?

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 09:13:44 PM

$300k could cover NRE cost of building your own ASICs, and a significant quantities afterwards/ Remember, you don't need to beat power efficiency of current vendors, you only need to beat their dollar-per-hash/s price, which is not hard at all. This is what ASICMINER did with ~$120k, and are happily mining!
You would need to team up so you cover all the bases of the project, but given BFL track record and obvious incompetence at all levels, your investment would be much less risky then giving it to Josh, Sonny, et al.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 09:43:11 PM

$300k could cover NRE cost of building your own ASICs, and a significant quantities afterwards/ Remember, you don't need to beat power efficiency of current vendors, you only need to beat their dollar-per-hash/s price, which is not hard at all. This is what ASICMINER did with ~$120k, and are happily mining!
You would need to team up so you cover all the bases of the project, but given BFL track record and obvious incompetence at all levels, your investment would be much less risky then giving it to Josh, Sonny, et al.
You think the average person has the know-how to develop their own ASIC? Tom was able to put together several Bitcoin ventures, and sell many FPGA units, but fell flat on his face when trying to build an ASIC. I (and I'm sure a lot of others) would much rather just buy a product from someone else and not have to worry about the headaches and risk that goes along with developing your own ASIC.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
ChipGeek

Activity: 198

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:12:54 AM

You think the average person has the know-how to develop their own ASIC? Tom was able to put together several Bitcoin ventures, and sell many FPGA units, but fell flat on his face when trying to build an ASIC. I (and I'm sure a lot of others) would much rather just buy a product from someone else and not have to worry about the headaches and risk that goes along with developing your own ASIC.
+1  It really IS harder than it looks!

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:30:50 AM

umm?Huh
 you using YOUR money or other people's money too...
that's quite an investment !

ok
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: