Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:00:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost bitcoins - a bigger flaw than originally thought?  (Read 5799 times)
beeblebrox

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 12:51:10 PM

What would happen if there wasn't a limit on the number of coins created?

My gut feeling is that anyone reading this with more than a handful of bitcoins is going to get very angry as they see their potential pension pot disappear in a cloud of zeros and ones! Wink

Any feedback?

A constant coin creation rate can be expected to eventually reach an equilibrium of sorts with the rate of coin loss and thus a ready steady total amount of active (not-lost) coin.  I'm guessing you've already had an inkling along these lines.  (One can reasonably expect this to be the case as long as the mining rate wasn't ridiculously high causing hyperinflation and completely destroying bitcoin)

As for people getting angry for even mentioning, yep, I'd bet on it.

Lol. If it's so important to compensate for estimated coin loss, why don't you make an alt-chain that implements it your way? Even if your alt-coin struggles at first, people will eventually start to feel the pain from all that unwanted deflation and they will come flocking to your idea.

Are you replying to me or to nwbitcoin.  Cause if you're replying to me and have read this thread a bit then you should have realised that I DON'T consider coin loss a problem.  I was just replying to a genuine question with an intelligent and to the point answer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
beeblebrox

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 12:55:28 PM

What would happen if there wasn't a limit on the number of coins created?

My gut feeling is that anyone reading this with more than a handful of bitcoins is going to get very angry as they see their potential pension pot disappear in a cloud of zeros and ones! Wink

Any feedback?

A constant coin creation rate can be expected to eventually reach an equilibrium of sorts with the rate of coin loss and thus a ready steady total amount of active (not-lost) coin.  I'm guessing you've already had an inkling along these lines.  (One can reasonably expect this to be the case as long as the mining rate wasn't ridiculously high causing hyperinflation and completely destroying bitcoin)

As for people getting angry for even mentioning, yep, I'd bet on it.

Lol. If it's so important to compensate for estimated coin loss, why don't you make an alt-chain that implements it your way? Even if your alt-coin struggles at first, people will eventually start to feel the pain from all that unwanted deflation and they will come flocking to your idea.

Oh, by the way, thanks for fullfilling my prediction.  I should take up gambling for a living.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:22:57 PM

4 pages, did someone proposed the idiocy "ehi, if a bitcoin is not used for 10 years, we should remove it and put it back to be mined"?

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:55:03 PM

4 pages, did someone proposed the idiocy "ehi, if a bitcoin is not used for 10 years, we should remove it and put it back to be mined"?

Of course they did... maybe we should start a new subforum, only for people who've been around since 2011 or so, and pay someone to edit out the chaff.
SimonL

Activity: 113
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 02:07:41 PM

OP, please do a better job of looking in the forums for these asinine discussions.

On the up side I have one more to add to the list.

See you guys in two more months Wink

for future reference here are all the threads I've found to date that near constantly try to resurrect a non-problem. If you feel so passionate about it, please move it to the alt-currency section. It has no place here on Bitcoin Discussion. It already been "discussed".

Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 06:23:42 PM

OP, please do a better job of looking in the forums for these asinine discussions.

On the up side I have one more to add to the list.

See you guys in two more months Wink

for future reference here are all the threads I've found to date that near constantly try to resurrect a non-problem. If you feel so passionate about it, please move it to the alt-currency section. It has no place here on Bitcoin Discussion. It already been "discussed".

Yeah, but what if too many of the old threads get lost? (For that matter, are you sure you found them all?) That's why it's imperative that we create new "lost coins" threads every month in perpetuity. Ideally, it should be hardcoded into the forum software so that they're generated automatically.
nwbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 06:45:59 PM

Of course they did... maybe we should start a new subforum, only for people who've been around since 2011 or so, and pay someone to edit out the chaff.

Using that logic, it might make more sense to expire the membership of anyone who has been on the forum before 2011 to prevent them feeling that they have entered groundhog day! 

Wink

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 07:09:39 PM

Yeah, but what if too many of the old threads get lost? (For that matter, are you sure you found them all?) That's why it's imperative that we create new "lost coins" threads every month in perpetuity. Ideally, it should be hardcoded into the forum software so that they're generated automatically.

But this wouldn't solve the cost overhead of keeping the old threads in memory. I propose a completely different solution: the forum software should automatically dig up and resurrect zombie "lost coin" threads to keep them fresh. Cheesy

You think memory is going to be the problem?! At the rate hardware is improving? Frankly, your proposal is absurd and tyrannical. How do you know that those "zombie" threads you are proposing to dig up are lost? Maybe they were abandoned for a reason. People should be free to make that choice. I suggest you go make an alt forum, because you don't have a frickin' clue what bitcointalk is all about. Oh, and guess who just got added to my ignore list?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: