Bitcoin Forum
June 11, 2024, 04:09:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sent All DevCoins from VirCurEx to my old Devcoin address that was on a dead PC  (Read 383 times)
We4zel (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 02:09:13 AM

Due to Vircurex stating that we had to remove all DVC, I was hurried and in a rush and I accidentally sent ALL my Devcoins to an address that I had used many times on a laptop that now totally broken and dead.  Now the just under 10 million devcoins are sitting there unclaimed.  I know I saved all my different crypto addresses in a file, but I'm not sure about the private keys.  I will be searching for that file next.  So the address I sent all those devcoins to was on that broken PC.  What can be done to save them?  Anyway to re-use my old Devcoin address on a different PC??  I doubt there is any way to resend?  So what are any possibilities for trying to save these estimated 9 mil devcoin??  I hadn't mined or played with any clients in quite awhile and I knew once I sent them that I sent them to my old home devcoin address and not one of the new receive addresses generated by the new wallet install on a new PC.

Any options would be greatly appreciated.  Those 9 million devcoins will sit there unclaimed forever??  This happened very recently on the last block.  What can possible be done.  I have my old address.  I have transaction history that I had been sending to that address years ago.  I sure hope I do have the private key somewhere but its very possible that I don't.  So is there anything to be done at all??

Thanks very much in advance.  I'll gift 1 million devcoins to anyone that can help me fix this.  I guess if devcoins aren't worth anything anymore and are dying then maybe its not even worth the effort.

Thanks
killerjoegreece
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1010

Professional Native Greek Translator (2000+ done)

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2016, 02:13:32 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2016, 03:18:33 AM by killerjoegreece

Due to Vircurex stating that we had to remove all DVC, I was hurried and in a rush and I accidentally sent ALL my Devcoins to an address that I had used many times on a laptop that now totally broken and dead.  Now the just under 10 million devcoins are sitting there unclaimed.  I know I saved all my different crypto addresses in a file, but I'm not sure about the private keys.  I will be searching for that file next.  So the address I sent all those devcoins to was on that broken PC.  What can be done to save them?  Anyway to re-use my old Devcoin address on a different PC??  I doubt there is any way to resend?  So what are any possibilities for trying to save these estimated 9 mil devcoin??  I hadn't mined or played with any clients in quite awhile and I knew once I sent them that I sent them to my old home devcoin address and not one of the new receive addresses generated by the new wallet install on a new PC.

Any options would be greatly appreciated.  Those 9 million devcoins will sit there unclaimed forever??  This happened very recently on the last block.  What can possible be done.  I have my old address.  I have transaction history that I had been sending to that address years ago.  I sure hope I do have the private key somewhere but its very possible that I don't.  So is there anything to be done at all??

Thanks very much in advance.  I'll gift 1 million devcoins to anyone that can help me fix this.  I guess if devcoins aren't worth anything anymore and are dying then maybe its not even worth the effort.

Thanks

is the wallet dat accessible on the laptop hdd. maybe use an external usb enclosure or a direct sata cable to connect the drive to another pc and get the coins? the only way to reuse the address if you dont have the private keys is the dat file. I ll take that gift if my suggestion works Cheesy I can also guide you through the whole procedure.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 03:02:52 AM

Due to Vircurex stating that we had to remove all DVC, I was hurried and in a rush and I accidentally sent ALL my Devcoins to an address that I had used many times on a laptop that now broken and dead.

Thanks

What kind of broken we talking? Broken like the printer from Office Space? Or with an intact hard drive? If so, remove or have removed the old drive, and hook it up to a working rig. Access your files like it's no one's business. Easy as pie my man  Grin Most of the time we see these, they lost the computer in college/ a race war/ Armageddon and recovering the drive isn't a possibility. The fact you have access to the drive is half the battle.

You'ré welcome, and I actually want those coins if you do this Wink
We4zel (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 03:31:18 AM

Due to Vircurex stating that we had to remove all DVC, I was hurried and in a rush and I accidentally sent ALL my Devcoins to an address that I had used many times on a laptop that now totally broken and dead.  Now the just under 10 million devcoins are sitting there unclaimed.  I know I saved all my different crypto addresses in a file, but I'm not sure about the private keys.  I will be searching for that file next.  So the address I sent all those devcoins to was on that broken PC.  What can be done to save them?  Anyway to re-use my old Devcoin address on a different PC??  I doubt there is any way to resend?  So what are any possibilities for trying to save these estimated 9 mil devcoin??  I hadn't mined or played with any clients in quite awhile and I knew once I sent them that I sent them to my old home devcoin address and not one of the new receive addresses generated by the new wallet install on a new PC.

Any options would be greatly appreciated.  Those 9 million devcoins will sit there unclaimed forever??  This happened very recently on the last block.  What can possible be done.  I have my old address.  I have transaction history that I had been sending to that address years ago.  I sure hope I do have the private key somewhere but its very possible that I don't.  So is there anything to be done at all??

Thanks very much in advance.  I'll gift 1 million devcoins to anyone that can help me fix this.  I guess if devcoins aren't worth anything anymore and are dying then maybe its not even worth the effort.

Thanks

is the wallet dat accessible on the laptop hdd. maybe use an external usb enclosure or a direct sata cable to connect the drive to another pc and get the coins? the only way to reuse the address if you dont have the private keys is the dat file. I ll take that gift if my suggestion works Cheesy I can also guide you through the whole procedure.

I'm a software engineer and I have built machines in the past.  I would have and could have easily done just this.  I knew I was screwed but these couple answers just confirm it.  The laptop has been dismantled and the hard drive was harvested for a different laptop and then naturally formatted and new OS put on the HD within a completely different laptop; different motherboard, different everything.  The rest of the laptop is gone and spare parts for a laptop repair shop.  I just needed confirmation but I figured I was screwed if I don't have the private key.  Thanks for the confirmation.  None of this would have happened if I would have just been careful and sent it to the correct new receive address for the wallet.  These types of issues are another reason why non-technical folks and mainstream folks will never fully adapt crypto currencies until they know there are so many failsafes,  protective and redundant safety features built within them that stuff like this doesn't happen.  The crappy thing is that I know better.  But at least it was just some worthless DVC
We4zel (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 03:39:08 AM

Due to Vircurex stating that we had to remove all DVC, I was hurried and in a rush and I accidentally sent ALL my Devcoins to an address that I had used many times on a laptop that now broken and dead.

Thanks

What kind of broken we talking? Broken like the printer from Office Space? Or with an intact hard drive? If so, remove or have removed the old drive, and hook it up to a working rig. Access your files like it's no one's business. Easy as pie my man  Grin Most of the time we see these, they lost the computer in college/ a race war/ Armageddon and recovering the drive isn't a possibility. The fact you have access to the drive is half the battle.

I'm a software engineer and I have built machines in the past.  I would have and could have easily done just this.  I knew I was screwed but these couple answers just confirm it.  The laptop has been dismantled and the hard drive was harvested for a different laptop and then naturally formatted and new OS put on the HD within a completely different laptop; different motherboard, different everything.  The rest of the laptop is gone and spare parts for a laptop repair shop.  I just needed confirmation but I figured I was screwed if I don't have the private key.  Thanks for the confirmation.  None of this would have happened if I would have just been careful and sent it to the correct new receive address for the wallet.  These types of issues are another reason why non-technical folks and mainstream folks will never fully adapt crypto currencies until they know there are so many failsafes,  protective and redundant safety features built within them that stuff like this doesn't happen.  The crappy thing is that I know better.  But at least it was just some worthless DVC.  I need to dig on my file server with the raid HD configuration as maybe if I'm lucky I backed up all my addresses there along with the private keys, but I have even done HD work for my file server raid since then so it's a long shot.

Also that another reason why I prefer the online wallets bigtime.  All my other various crypto currencies are all in online wallets as machines break all the time.  I have a veritable graveyard of broken desktops and with this last fiasco I was able to get rid of 6 newer broken laptops and piece together 2 workable ones out of the spare parts.  The home desktops and especially laptops are completely too frail to trust anything important on with constant and mandatory backups.  These are some very serious shortcomings for the current condition of crypto currencies.  As well as the largest drawback and worst issue being security and cyber theft, etc.  Granted, I haven't dabbled with crypto currencies or the clients in almost 2 years, but I know what I'm doing and its still this easy to just lose almost everything if your not careful.  Saving grace is that it was some dead DVC.
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2016, 03:43:21 AM

Thanks

I'm a software engineer and I have built machines in the past.  I would have and could have easily done just this.  I knew I was screwed but these couple answers just confirm it.  The laptop has been dismantled and the hard drive was harvested for a different laptop and then naturally formatted and new OS put on the HD within a completely different laptop; different motherboard, different everything.  The rest of the laptop is gone and spare parts for a laptop repair shop.  I just needed confirmation but I figured I was screwed if I don't have the private key.  Thanks for the confirmation.  None of this would have happened if I would have just been careful and sent it to the correct new receive address for the wallet.  These types of issues are another reason why non-technical folks and mainstream folks will never fully adapt crypto currencies until they know there are so many failsafes,  protective and redundant safety features built within them that stuff like this doesn't happen.  The crappy thing is that I know better.  But at least it was just some worthless DVC.  I need to dig on my file server with the raid HD configuration as maybe if I'm lucky I backed up all my addresses there along with the private keys, but I have even done HD work for my file server raid since then so it's a long shot.

Also that another reason why I prefer the online wallets bigtime.  All my other various crypto currencies are all in online wallets as machines break all the time.  I have a veritable graveyard of broken desktops and with this last fiasco I was able to get rid of 6 newer broken laptops and piece together 2 workable ones out of the spare parts.  The home desktops and especially laptops are completely too frail to trust anything important on with constant and mandatory backups.  These are some very serious shortcomings for the current condition of crypto currencies.  As well as the largest drawback and worst issue being security and cyber theft, etc.  Granted, I haven't dabbled with crypto currencies or the clients in almost 2 years, but I know what I'm doing and its still this easy to just lose almost everything if your not careful.  Saving grace is that it was some dead DVC.

Online wallets are the worst possible way to store your coins safely. If you were a software engineer, you would know this as common sense

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1114

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 03:54:05 AM

Thanks

I'm a software engineer and I have built machines in the past.  I would have and could have easily done just this.  I knew I was screwed but these couple answers just confirm it.  The laptop has been dismantled and the hard drive was harvested for a different laptop and then naturally formatted and new OS put on the HD within a completely different laptop; different motherboard, different everything.  The rest of the laptop is gone and spare parts for a laptop repair shop.  I just needed confirmation but I figured I was screwed if I don't have the private key.  Thanks for the confirmation.  None of this would have happened if I would have just been careful and sent it to the correct new receive address for the wallet.  These types of issues are another reason why non-technical folks and mainstream folks will never fully adapt crypto currencies until they know there are so many failsafes,  protective and redundant safety features built within them that stuff like this doesn't happen.  The crappy thing is that I know better.  But at least it was just some worthless DVC

You may actually still be able to recover the wallet.dat file. When you format and install a new drive, unless you wrote over the sectors that had the wallet.dat file, it could still be recoverable. But yea, probably not worth it for like $100 worth of devcoin.
killerjoegreece
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1010

Professional Native Greek Translator (2000+ done)

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2016, 03:59:35 AM

Thanks

You may actually still be able to recover the wallet.dat file. When you format and install a new drive, unless you wrote over the sectors that had the wallet.dat file, it could still be recoverable. But yea, probably not worth it for like $100 worth of devcoin.

http://lifehacker.com/5237503/five-best-free-data-recovery-tools
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: