Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 03:01:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about wallets  (Read 403 times)
dougiedj (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 01:02:52 PM

hey yall

im wanting to know if its possible to add a wallet i have on a site that i signed up to to my Qt wallet and be able to send and receive from the wallet i got off the site i was using?
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 01:09:27 PM

Yes export the private keys from the site, them import them into qt
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 02:04:22 PM

hey yall

im wanting to know if its possible to add a wallet i have on a site that i signed up to to my Qt wallet and be able to send and receive from the wallet i got off the site i was using?

If the site is a hosted (shared) EWallet (e.g., Mt. Gox, Instawallet, bitZino, etc.) then no, you can only send a payment (or request a withdrawal, however they describe that feature) from that EWallet to an address from your own Bitcoin-Qt wallet.   

If instead this site is a hybrid EWallet (e.g., Blockchain.info/wallet) then you can export the private keys from that service and import those keys into Bitcoin-Qt.   It takes some command like skills but it is technically doable and fairly straightforward.

So to summarize, when you have funds with a hosted (shared) EWallet service you are ceding control over your coins to the operator of that service.  You have and account there and can request a withdrawal but you have no direct access to the funds in the account.    When you have funds in a local wallet (e.g., Bitcoin-Qt, Mutlibit, Electrum, Armory, etc.) or a hybrid wallet (Blockchain.info/wallet), or mobile app Bitcoin client (Blockchain for Android or iOS, Bitcoin Spinner, Bitcoin Wallet for Android) then you and you alone have control of the bitcoins.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █