Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:16:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 Phase and ATX PSU'S?  (Read 869 times)
Signedbyme (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 04:01:27 AM

Hi there

I am currently starting to change my small farm to 240 from 120!! I was just wondering if ATX PSU's accept 3 phase 240? If it is product specific than could someone tell me where to look. I have a bunch of different PSU's sooooooo...

Ps. its a dedicated 50 amp. With 6 gauge wire and 5 20 amp receptacles
Thanks 

Chris
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 07:48:03 AM

I have never seen an ATX-type power supply that even THOUGHT about using 3-phase power directly.

I doubt they exist - 3-phase isn't needed 'till you get into the MANY-KILOWATT range on electrical gea, a standard common 20amp 220 circuit is good for 4 KW after all and higher power 220 circuits aren't UNcommon (ref some electric stoves, some commercial electric driers, and RV-type connections, for a few examples of 30+ amp 220 plug-in circuits).

For that matter, mobile homes used to COMMONLY use a 50 amp 220v plug-in connection (often set up 2 on one pole feeding from one common meter with a 100 amp feedline, the second circuit usually intended for a utility outbuilding, workshop, etc). Those hookups are no longer permitted under the US NEC, but they're allowed on a "grandfathered" clause for existing setups in most locations.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Signedbyme (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 06:01:11 PM

OK well SHITTT. The power line is coming from a old hot tub. How could i change the breaker from 3 phase 240 to single phase 240? If its to hard to do may just hire some one Angry Angry

Thanks for the response
DarkStarPDX

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 08:28:38 PM

If you have standard three-phase already (4-wire wye) and power supplies that support 208 volts, you should be able to use L1 & L2, L2 & L3, or L1 & L3 to the power supply. If you have a three-phase delta (480 volts), you'll need a step-down transformer to 240 volts (or 120 volts).

Most power supplies support a range of voltages, for example one I have here is 110-120 volts & 200-240 volts compatible. Others I've seen are 100-250 volts.

Feel free to post the power supply make & model and we should be able to figure it out.
Signedbyme (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 08:50:32 PM

As you all can tell i am a noob at electrical wiring. The hot tub has 4 wires coming in. as i can see it is 2 hots a neutral and a ground. I figured it was 3 phase because that's what my DAD said ( Im only 14). But after looking i believe that it is single phase 240 with 2 hots and 1 ground, the neutral in for any 120 systems in the tub. Please let me know if i am missing something.

THANKS!!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 09:22:07 PM

As you all can tell i am a noob at electrical wiring. The hot tub has 4 wires coming in. as i can see it is 2 hots a neutral and a ground. I figured it was 3 phase because that's what my DAD said ( Im only 14). But after looking i believe that it is single phase 240 with 2 hots and 1 ground, the neutral in for any 120 systems in the tub. Please let me know if i am missing something.

THANKS!!

My advice is be careful and have your dad help you looking at it.  When I hear 14 and looking at electrical ....  makes me a little worried.  But again I would get your dad to help make sure it's not live so when looking at it you are not in danger.

Do you have a picture of outlet? Or is it just wires ran from electrical box?  Also a picture of breaker might help.  But again get your dad to help during this.
Signedbyme (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 11:52:32 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2016, 12:04:03 AM by Signedbyme

THANKS!!

My advice is be careful and have your dad help you looking at it.  When I hear 14 and looking at electrical ....  makes me a little worried.  But again I would get your dad to help make sure it's not live so when looking at it you are not in danger.

Do you have a picture of outlet? Or is it just wires ran from electrical box?  Also a picture of breaker might help.  But again get your dad to help during this.

Yea sure i understand that 14 is young to be working with 50 amps of 240 but as always the breaker is off and double check at the tub. ( My dad is very supportive and all about safety ). It is just wires coming out of the ground. 4 wires 3 connected ( 2 hots and a ground ) 1 unconnected neutral i think.

http://imgur.com/a/Upm9Y

(It wont show up because of account rank!! CLICK THE LINKS!!)

It may be unclear but the wire all the way to the right is not connected and i think its the neutral!!
DarkStarPDX

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 04:24:21 PM

Based on that breaker and wiring configuration, it is a single-phase 240 volt connection. A three-phase breaker has 3 distinct sections.

The unconnected wire is (as you suspect) your neutral line. If a device operates as a single 240 volt device, neutral isn't used. If a device operates as "two" 120 volt devices, neutral is used.

So, if you have a power supply that supports a 240 volt connection, you can connect one hot to one input, the other hot to the other input, ground to ground, and you should be good to go!
Signedbyme (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 05:24:18 PM

Thanks to every one who helped me and have answers.

Chris

Happy Mining
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: