Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:56:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Double-spends, Double-spends everywhere!  (Read 1096 times)
PainZ (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 02:12:18 PM

Aight so I had some bets on satoshidice that got double spended which I tried to solve in another thread. I tried to move my funds to my backup wallet and but couldn't send 15 btc at once so I sent 3x5 transactions. I checked the backup wallet and all of a sudden I had 4 transactions so I had 20 BTC. I was confused and tried to send back 20 to the same place the 15 came from, and expected an error message or something. But instead a transaction of 19.99 btc went away to my old adress but now THAT transactions says double spend.

Have i just lost 20 btc or is there any way to solve this?

The transaction hasch for the 20 btc: https://blockchain.info/sv/tx/d1509597829860a9a1f59dcf9408697a6baefcc53fafd1bc288ad8f6539f4848

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 02:37:28 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2013, 02:56:14 PM by piuk

Wait for one of the transactions to confirm and depending on what client you are using the problem will resolve itself. Nothing is lost just a bit of time is needed to resolve the conflict.

PainZ (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:29:12 PM

Wait for one of the transactions to confirm and depending on what client you are using the problem will resolve itself. Nothing is lost just a bit of time is needed to resolve the conflict.
Thanks!
crazy573

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:14:22 PM

-back up your wallet
-delete the transactions from your wallet https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0
-rescan your wallet

done  Cool
PainZ (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:21:36 PM

Okay so the transaction got confirmed and everything's all right, except the fact that most of my satoshidice bets gets double spent. Which means I get double spent money back. For example, I just gambled 1.6 on 50% but it got double spended. I won and got 3.2 btc back, but that transactions is also double spended. Why is this? And what does it mean? Will it recieve confirms and the double spend will go away or what?  Huh
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:01:54 PM

For example, I just gambled 1.6 on 50% but it got double spended.

And thus it has become an invalid bet.  SatoshiDICE only guarantees the payouts it makes will confirm if your wager confirms as well.   So your bet to them ended up being invalid.

I won and got 3.2 btc back, but that transactions is also double spended.

Yup, that will never confirm if it ended up being a double spend.

Why is this?

Somewhere you got paid some funds, and then your client let you spend those funds.

There's a tradeoff.  Should a client restrict you to being able to spend a transaction only after it has confirmed?     Most people want the freedom to transact however they please, and that includes spending funds just received even though there are no confirmations.   That's because they generally can trust the party that sent them the payment being spent to not ever try and pull a double spend against them.

So you need to look at who sent you a payment that ended up being a double spend.  Odds are that it was SatoshiDICE that did that to you.  They could remedy this because when they need to draw from their own wallet for a payout they could do coin control to include only funds which have six or more confirmations.  For whatever reason it appears they aren't doing this and instead are paying out with funds that have no confirmations or maybe one confirmation even and end up getting double spent.

And what does it mean? Will it recieve confirms and the double spend will go away or what?  Huh

If you have a wager that confirms but the payout included a double spend, it may take a while (e.g. a day or so) for SatoshiDICE to send out another payout to you.    But an external audit of SatoshiDICE using just the data in the blockchain (plus their list of secrets) will reveal any payouts that still haven't completed so to-date in nearly a year since SatoshiDICE's launched there has not been a single payout that hasn't been properly made except for possibly the most recent wagers (e.g., last couple days at the worst) which SatoshiDICE ends up fixing at some point.

But your later bets that included that bogus payout are bogus bets as well.

Using a client that better protects from this (by requiring one confirmation before a coin can be spent), such as Bitcoin-Qt, might be a better approach for you.  (Of course, not gambling with your coins is another remedy.)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

PainZ (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 06:32:59 AM

And thus it has become an invalid bet.  SatoshiDICE only guarantees the payouts it makes will confirm if your wager confirms as well.   So your bet to them ended up being invalid.

The bet and the winnings was confirmed yesterday, and now says no double spend detected, yaay  Grin
poly

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 10:51:20 AM

The bet and the winnings was confirmed yesterday, and now says no double spend detected, yaay  Grin
Congratulations! Better to stop while you're ahead. I know it's hard, but really stop.

poly | My Tip Jar
PainZ (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 07:18:26 PM

Congratulations! Better to stop while you're ahead. I know it's hard, but really stop.
I will. Right now I'm up about 7-8 bitcoins. Moving some funds away from my "gambling wallet" to make sure I don't spend it all. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: