Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:51:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to import vanity addresses into Multibit HD?  (Read 1625 times)
x13 (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Things are called shit for a reason, dear.

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 05:14:35 PM

I am using Multibit HD since a couple of days and I am wondering how to import my vanity addresses?
I did some research here and on Google but I could not found any useful information. Is it even possible?

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
steven0021

Activity: 629
Merit: 501

Experientia docet

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 07:06:01 PM

I am using Multibit HD since a couple of days and I am wondering how to import my vanity addresses?
I did some research here and on Google but I could not found any useful information. Is it even possible?

I don't think we can import private keys to Multibit HD wallet. Correct me if I'm wrong

▄▄███████▄▄                           ▄      ▄
   ██████████████▄                       ███    ███
  ███▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████                     ███    ███
  █████████████▄ ▀███                    ███    ███   █▄ ▄▄
   ▀████▄  ▄▄███  ▀███                   ███    ███  ▄████
   ▄███████████   ▄███                  ███    ███  ▀▀███▀▀
   ███           ▄███         ▄▄▄▄      ███    ███     █    ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
  ▄███     ▄▄▄▄█████        ▄█████▄    ▄██▀   ▄██▀    ███   █████████
  ███▄    ████████         ▄███▀▀███   ███    ███    ███▀   █████▀████
   ███     ▀▀█████▄      ▄█████▄ ███   ███    ███    ███    ████   ███
   ███         ▀███▄     ███▀███ ███  ███▀   ███▀    ███    ███▀   ███
   ███           ███▄    ███  ▀▀ ███  ███    ███    ███▀   ▄███    ███
   ▀██▄           ███    ███▄  ▄███   ███    ███    ███    ███    ███▀
    ███           ▀███▄   ████████    ███    ███    ███    ███    ███
    ▀██            ▀████   ▀████▀      ██     ██    ▀██    ▀█▀    ▀█▀

▄▄▀                ▀▄▄
     ▄ ▀▀                    ▀▀ ▄
   ▄ ▀▀▀                      ▀▀▀ ▄
  ▄▀▀▀                          ▀▀▀▄
 ▀█▄▄                            ▄▄█▀
▄█  ▄                            ▄  █▄
▀█ █▀                            ▀█ █▀
█▄  ▄                            ▄  ▄█
▀█ █                              █ █▀
█▄   █                          █   ▄█
 ██▄█▀                          ▀█▄██
  ▀▀  ▄█                      █▄  ▀▀
  ▀██▄ ▀  █▄              ▄█  ▀ ▄██▀
    ▀▀▀   ██  █▄      ▄█  ██   ▀▀▀
     ▀███▄▄▀  ███    ███  ▀▄▄███▀
        ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀    ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀
Free Bitcoins
Chat Lottery & Games
Level Up System with Rewards
▄████████▄  ▄████████▄
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
 ████████    ████████
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
▀████████▀  ▀████████▀
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2016, 08:08:37 PM

Why on earth would you want to ruin a perfectly good privacy and fungibility supporting wallet and keypair chain with the inclusion of one or more privacy killing vanity addresses?

These two things do not mix.  Best to completely get rid of the vanity addresses and use your HD wallet properly.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 04:07:32 PM

Why on earth would you want to ruin a perfectly good privacy and fungibility supporting wallet and keypair chain with the inclusion of one or more privacy killing vanity addresses?

These two things do not mix.  Best to completely get rid of the vanity addresses and use your HD wallet properly.

I would follow BurtW advice to the very detail and immediately quit the vanity addresses , a lot of late hacks to different persons came just after they visited the website which generate vanity addresses, apparently they are not safe, you should focus on Multibit HD and do all of your transactions there, is much safer than any address generated online, vanity or not.
rude

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2016, 10:44:15 AM

I do not agree with the opinions in the replies. And the opinions do not solve the addressed problem.

So, also with vanity addresses the privacy could be kept 100% as long as no outgoing transactions are

Personally i like the idea of vanity addresses very much and i will look into it how you can achieve the goal. I guess it will not be straight forward but should be possible.

Once u receive a payment you adress will change anyway.

I am looking for a way how marketeers or sellers could offer unique fancy adresses to receive payments.
ricolein

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 06:53:34 AM

Personally i like the idea of vanity addresses very much and i will look into it how you can achieve the goal. I guess it will not be straight forward but should be possible.
I come back to Bitcoin after two years and want to import my private keys into Multibit. But seems there is no way to do this basic function. Right?
Multibit can just import and export it own backups and wallets but cant handle private keys in a native way.
Can anyone recommend a App for Windows which is safe, easy to use like Multibit but support also basic function like list all address & private keys in a wallet?
Thanks
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 06:56:37 AM

I would follow BurtW advice to the very detail and immediately quit the vanity addresses , a lot of late hacks to different persons came just after they visited the website which generate vanity addresses, apparently they are not safe, you should focus on Multibit HD and do all of your transactions there, is much safer than any address generated online, vanity or not.

Your statement is correct. However, you can easily and safely generate your own vanity address using vanitygen on your local (preferably offline) pc, or use the split-key method.
Thus far, i haven't seen one of those vanity addresses getting compromised.

I like my vanity address, and i use it for a lot of purposes, but mostly to stake it here on the forum, so i can use my vanity address to sign messages and prove my identity.
Timelord2067
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2217

💲🏎️💨🚓

View Profile
September 02, 2016, 12:23:43 PM

When you export a private key from MultiBit it creates an export.key file

Code:
# KEEP YOUR PRIVATE KEYS SAFE !
# Anyone who can read this file can spend your bitcoin.
#
# Format:
#   <Base58 encoded private key>[<whitespace>[<key createdAt>]]
#
#   The Base58 encoded private keys are the same format as
#   produced by the Satoshi client/ sipa dumpprivkey utility.
#
#   Key createdAt is in UTC format as specified by ISO 8601
#   e.g: 2011-12-31T16:42:00Z . The century, 'T' and 'Z' are mandatory
#
5K2i1Eij5fUgwbyw6KXQkAszPcLRDHsYJRE5nD6QRLQpuK9VTiH 2015-12-31T23:14:09Z
5K9vGNaURoWhsAj55J9AFoXdQmvEQtX9Ym43CDkuDnHrtkwpwM4 2014-07-04T03:57:59Z

# End of private keys

Rename this to import.key and replace the private key with your vanity generated key.

If the Wallet Address hasn't been used before, set the time code to two days ago.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: