Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:04:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Valuing Bitcoin  (Read 1014 times)
David M (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:53:13 PM

When I first heard about Bitcoin a couple of years ago, I struggled to price the concept.
After several discussion with various sources, I came up with this valuation.

Double Spending Problem theoretical solution: $100,000,000.
Alpha Implementation (aka Prototype): $10,000,000.
Public Beta Release: $200,000,000.
It Works: $500,000,000.

Total: $810,000,000

At 11 million BTC that equates to a price of $74 per BTC.

How would/did you value Bitcoin?
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 10:55:01 PM

Maybe multiply by 1000+ for the "it works" part, but I broadly agree otherwise.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
David M (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:59:22 PM

Maybe multiply by 1000+ for the "it works" part.

There is one more item to value that I deliberately left out that is after the "It Works" phase.

"Acceptance" - Depending on its international integration, this could easily be a 10 digit number.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 12:02:54 AM

I've often felt that the value of Bitcoin has relatively little to do with Bitcoin itself (assuming it remains unbroken in various ways) and a lot to do with the trajectory of the alternatives.  Most specifically the USD.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
ECore

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

https://ubikiri.com/

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 12:07:54 AM

I've often felt that the value of Bitcoin has relatively little to do with Bitcoin itself (assuming it remains unbroken in various ways) and a lot to do with the trajectory of the alternatives.  Most specifically the USD.

Well that's wrong because the dollar is at an all time high while bitcoin is quadrupling it's value and more.  If you were right the price of bitcoin would be going down.

Integrated Distributed Ledgers
A whole world of different blockchains living together in a single network based on DAG. No more gates, bridges, portals or special nodes connecting blockchains into a single whole. Only one p2p network, consisting of blockchains of various types: from private for state and corporate networks to public for crypto projects.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 12:27:15 AM

How much does it cost to produce a single Bitcoin. Then what is the cost of distribution and then the cost of retail.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 12:30:33 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2013, 03:25:56 AM by tvbcof

I've often felt that the value of Bitcoin has relatively little to do with Bitcoin itself (assuming it remains unbroken in various ways) and a lot to do with the trajectory of the alternatives.  Most specifically the USD.

Well that's wrong because the dollar is at an all time high while bitcoin is quadrupling it's value and more.  If you were right the price of bitcoin would be going down.

I'm talking about a 'jackpot' win here.  Orders of magnitude over what we see today.  What we observe until now is mainly random noise since the solution is so new and the volumes so small.

edit: fix totally broken response.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:16:08 AM

David,

You seem to be valuing bitcoin as a business which could be hard to pin point since there are no real objective numbers.  I do not know how much "solving the double spending problem" is worth.  I am hypothesizing that bitcoin is better valued when treated as a commodity and that the USD value of bitcoin will have similar characteristics to valuations of metals such as silver and gold.  We have data for these existing markets and can try to correlate it with the bitcoin world in an attempt to calculate valuation, market cap, price, mined costs, etc.
David M (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 01:28:49 AM

David,

You seem to be valuing bitcoin as a business which could be hard to pin point since there are no real objective numbers.  I do not know how much "solving the double spending problem" is worth.  I am hypothesizing that bitcoin is better valued when treated as a commodity and that the USD value of bitcoin will have similar characteristics to valuations of metals such as silver and gold.  We have data for these existing markets and can try to correlate it with the bitcoin world in an attempt to calculate valuation, market cap, price, mined costs, etc.

I have valued it as a business and you are right that there is no objective numbers. 

But I had to start somewhere and thought that treating it as a business was easier than as a commodity.
My reasoning was that during the bootstrap phase, calculating demand for an experimental (and unknown) commodity is problematic because it is essentially zero.

So I treated it as a sales pitch for a VC buy out/in.

Prior to this exercise, all I had was a vibe.  At least it gave me some numbers to work with,  regardless of how wrong they are.

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 02:20:02 AM

This article and past ones by same author attempt to do valuation analysis based on target markets:

http://falkvinge.net/2013/03/06/the-target-value-for-bitcoin-is-not-some-50-or-100-it-is-100000-to-1000000/
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 03:05:42 AM

How much does it cost to produce a single Bitcoin. Then what is the cost of distribution and then the cost of retail.

With the high power prices here and a 6850 card to do the hashing, my PC would barely turn a profit at the current difficulty and value of bitcoin.  ASIC is the only way to go (hello BFL) and even then after a few weeks of product deliveries it once again becomes a race to see who can find the cheapest electricity if bitcoin's value doesn't go up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: