Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 10:18:09 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Bitcoin entered a new era?  (Read 671 times)
gradient vector (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 11:46:00 PM

I've been reading this forum for a while and it just seems like the general discussion has changed. When I first started piecing together info on bitcoin it seemed like most of the talk focused on government subversion and legal grayness. Now with the reddit adoption obviously bitcoin is more popular than ever but has it finally gained enough traction to be deemed legitimate?
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 11:48:24 PM

Deemed by who?  I say it's pretty legit, but, I guess the day Obama says something about it is the day it's ultra-legit.

creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 11:52:10 PM

I've been reading this forum for a while and it just seems like the general discussion has changed. When I first started piecing together info on bitcoin it seemed like most of the talk focused on government subversion and legal grayness. Now with the reddit adoption obviously bitcoin is more popular than ever but has it finally gained enough traction to be deemed legitimate?

Depends on who you ask, but the tone does seem different around here. The many recent articles and endorsements have seemingly made it more difficult to dismiss BTC as mathematical fairy dust.

Deemed by who?  I say it's pretty legit, but, I guess the day Obama says something about it is the day it's ultra-legit.

...provided what he says is negative. Wink If BO comes out in favor of BTC, I'm dumping half my stash on the spot.

zdavidi

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 11:53:58 PM

I dont feel like anyone in particular has to deem it legit. If people demand it, and are willing to pay for the supply, then it's legit. Would you consider my old-school system of bartering with my cows and chickens illegit just because people don't think of bartering as main-stream in modern day?

I do feel like BTC has entered a new era. I heard about BTC years ago, but shrugged it off because I was a gamer, and didn't care much. Years later, the games have faded, and now here I am posting on the BTC forums, realizing how legitimate this whole operation is. We could all become so rich...even us little guys who have just started...

If this debased currency catches on, we're in for a massive ride up the side of a fiscal mountain. Smiley

gradient vector (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 12:01:43 AM

Deemed by who?  I say it's pretty legit, but, I guess the day Obama says something about it is the day it's ultra-legit.

Yeah, not necessarily any one person. But let's say the average tech savy user. For example, last year I went into a computer store for some mining equipment. One of the guys (who happen to know alot more about hardware than I did) on staff asked me why did I did four graphics card. I told him about bitcoin. He said he heard of it but his tone dismissive probably thinking it was a scam. I guess the question is if I ask the same guy has he heard about bitcoin would he still think it is a scam?
gradient vector (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 12:04:34 AM

Depends on who you ask, but the tone does seem different around here. The many recent articles and endorsements have seemingly made it more difficult to dismiss BTC as mathematical fairy dust.

Deemed by who?  I say it's pretty legit, but, I guess the day Obama says something about it is the day it's ultra-legit.

...provided what he says is negative. Wink If BO comes out in favor of BTC, I'm dumping half my stash on the spot.

When that happens it will be proof enough that bitcoin was created by Goldman Sachs.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 12:08:21 AM

That's an interesting thought.  At what point in time will Bitcoin be a household name?  There was also a time when the Internet wasn't very popular Shocked  If you're young like me, you won't remember that Tongue  But apparently it's true.  I'd give it another five years, maybe six.  Once BTC is ten years old, I'd like to think most people will know what it is (and that it's not a ponzi.)

demcoins

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 12:17:51 AM

Seems likely to be deemed legitimate if only as a pioneer currency in whatever the wild west of finance ushers in next.ß
gradient vector (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 12:27:51 AM

Seems likely to be deemed legitimate if only as a pioneer currency in whatever the wild west of finance ushers in next.ß

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the gambling space in the next few years. Bitcoin has really only scratched the surface there.
Massage4BTC

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 03:45:42 AM

I still think Bitcoin is pretty niche. That may change in the coming years, though.
mjh5054

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 03:57:42 AM

Well I'm not so sure it will become *the* currency of the new age--too many large organizations profit from government-backed currency, simply because it's government-backed.  Bitcoin necessarily won't become government-endorsed anytime soon, because by it's nature, it can't be easily taxed. 

That being said, Bitcoin is the go-to currency for those who want to be anonymous, and at this point, I'd say it's a damn good investment if one is careful and willing to take a risk on it.

Hell, the USD value of my BTC funds jumped up like $500 today, so you won't see me complaining about it!  There is clearly a decent enough demand for it, and I don't see that demand going away, pretty much ever, from the way it looks now.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 03:58:40 AM

Call me optimistic, but I hope the gov abolishes BTC, so we have yet another excuse to abolish the gov Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: