Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:45:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a Bitcoin client that I can use with Tor (not the original one, too slo  (Read 699 times)
THBFORBTC (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 06:05:02 AM

Hello,

Is there a Bitcoin client that I can use with Tor (not the original one, it's just too slow to download the whole blockchain). I want it to be client based, I do not wish to store my BTC on a server, so Electrum wouldn't work.

How about Multibit? Can it be configured to use Tor? I've tried to check the settings but couldn't find anywhere to configure localhost and port.

Thb
THBFORBTC (OP)

Activity: 18

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 06:49:31 AM

I've checked the original client, it supports Tor but it's too slow if you haven't used it in a while. Armory is even worse, drives me nuts.

I like Multibit but can it really not be used with Tor?
joneszach

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 07:15:19 AM

Electrum (http://electrum.org/) is a great bitcoin client. Its main advantage is not having to download the blockchain - Electrum connects (via Tor, too) to Electrum servers to determine balance. But don't let that fool you - Electrum is packed full of intelligent features to make maintenance and use very versatile. For example: in Electrum, with just a "seed" (a private hash) you can restore full duplicates of your wallet.

Give Electrum a shot; and consider hopping into #electrum on freenode IRC. I've talked to them a couple times and they were very helpful.

EDIT: in response to your OP, Electrum does not store any private keys on any server. Only you maintain the private keys, a.k.a. the control of your BTC. When using Electrum - you are still the sole responsibility over your keys.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 07:16:49 AM

Hello,

Is there a Bitcoin client that I can use with Tor (not the original one, it's just too slow to download the whole blockchain). I want it to be client based, I do not wish to store my BTC on a server, so Electrum wouldn't work.

How about Multibit? Can it be configured to use Tor? I've tried to check the settings but couldn't find anywhere to configure localhost and port.

Thb
The private keys are not shared with the server with Electrum. Only you yourself hold the keys in your local computer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: