Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:31:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Currency Exchange Bitfinex to Pay 75k Fine to CFTC  (Read 384 times)
traderman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 10:10:19 PM

http://themerkle.com/cftc-hits-digital-currency-exchange-bitfinex-with-75k-fine/

I wonder which other margin trading exchanges get hit next?
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 10:16:44 PM

if you want to convert the world, you must be in america ... yes, no ?

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 10:42:20 PM

I've one article about it and I'm not sure I understand what's going on. If I got it right, Bifinex was fined because it didn't actually send its customers the BTC they've just got from its service, and kept it on a wallet it controlled. But there was no theft. The customers were still able to access their BTC via the Bitfinex interface?

Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 11:57:53 PM

I've one article about it and I'm not sure I understand what's going on. If I got it right, Bifinex was fined because it didn't actually send its customers the BTC they've just got from its service, and kept it on a wallet it controlled. But there was no theft. The customers were still able to access their BTC via the Bitfinex interface?

Basically correct. To make it legal in the US the coins should have been sent to a separate entity, a custodian or prime broker who will hold them on behalf of the customer, instead being held under the control of  Bitfinex.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 10:41:40 PM

Basically correct. To make it legal in the US the coins should have been sent to a separate entity, a custodian or prime broker who will hold them on behalf of the customer, instead being held under the control of  Bitfinex.

OK, thanks. So it's a very big fine considering no customer had suffered a loss or a theft. It's a big warning to the others, and maybe a reason not to do business in the US.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
mkc

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 04:30:18 AM

Don't get it, Bitfinex is a Hong Kong company, why it has to be fined by US?
No wonder some exchange will not take customers from USA.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 06:18:21 AM

U mean until the future's contract expired

It really sounds like Bifenex pay CTFC x amount to

keep ur US customers, Bitcoin produces the

most shadiest of extortion attempts

I'll read thru some of the news stories after

s cuppa

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: