Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:40:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It is okay to run 24/7 ?  (Read 1029 times)
Mongmongako (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 08:59:47 AM

I knew that Bitcoin would increase my temps. My computer is semi-new and I haven't done much full load testing, but Bitcoin makes my machine rise 20-25 degrees C. It's still safe, at 57...but just curious. Do you all run Bitcoin 24/7, and if so, is it bad to run at 100% usage, at such a temp, whenever the computer is on? I've played games or used certain programs with high load for a while, but never thought it would be healthy to support higher temps non-stop.

Also, an idea while studying this earlier. It may be small potatoes at this point, but a scheduler to accomodate different times you want it to run and/or how many processors you want running at once.

For example, it would be nice to have it run on full load while I am busy or at work, while slowing down to one or two processors during my main usage hours. Or for those with a computer that is a bit old or they don't exactly trust, turn the load down at night or when you are not home for safety precautions of temps.

Like I said, a timer/scheduler like that is small potatoes, but at some point I'd really like to see it in the Options menu.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3231

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 09:28:33 AM

Since you don't intend to mine any significant amount of bitcoin, it would make more sense to run it at a lower usage level . That will save you some money on electricity and it reduce the wear and tear. On the other hand, you will probably get bored and stop mining after a week, so you might as well crank it up to full capacity for now just for the experience.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2016, 04:07:03 PM

If you're mining with anything else than an ASIC (which are designed to run 24/7) for profit, you shouldn't be mining at all.
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 04:35:25 PM

Since you don't intend to mine any significant amount of bitcoin, it would make more sense to run it at a lower usage level . That will save you some money on electricity and it reduce the wear and tear. On the other hand, you will probably get bored and stop mining after a week, so you might as well crank it up to full capacity for now just for the experience.

I'd say that even mining for the experience really isn't worth it (in most cases even shares for large pools will take glacially forever depending on share difficulty).

As for running bitcoin-core (since I can't assume that OP is mining, and for all we know they may be increasing temps from validating a ton of transactions on a fast network) the load will drop once you're synched to the chain, and core is often run 24/7 anyway (since it provides transaction/chain relay and validation to the network).

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2016, 02:41:58 AM

I knew that Bitcoin would increase my temps. My computer is semi-new and I haven't done much full load testing, but Bitcoin makes my machine rise 20-25 degrees C. It's still safe, at 57...but just curious. Do you all run Bitcoin 24/7, and if so, is it bad to run at 100% usage, at such a temp, whenever the computer is on? I've played games or used certain programs with high load for a while, but never thought it would be healthy to support higher temps non-stop.
Question:  It sounds like you are trying to mine Bitcoins with your computer.  Is that what you are trying to do?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: