Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:09:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox Payment system problem  (Read 720 times)
Zedster (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 05:28:26 PM

I was making a payment through the Mt. Gox merchant payment system and ran into a problem.

The way the system works, for the unknowing, is Mt.gox gives you an address to send the payment to for whatever your paying for.  You then have to wait for the payment to confirm and the web page will update when the wallet has received the correct amount of coins and then it will forward you back to the original merchant's page.

Well during the waiting for confirms, which we know can take a while, Chrome decides to choke.  So when I open the browser and go back to the same address there is a new address there waiting for my already 3 time confirmed payment to a different address.

Now, of course, neither the merchant or Mt.Gox can tell me where my coins went after I sent them to the first address.  I can see the transaction on the chain and my coins going off in the oblivion to 2 differerent addresses.  One for a very small amount, like the transaction fee, and the balance going elsewhere.  Then I lose it. 

I am pretty new to this but what should my course of action be?  Mt.Gox support went home from work in the middle of helping it would appear.  Shouldn't they be able to tell me where they sent my BTC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zedster (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 07:45:17 PM

Really no one can tell me if this transaction can be traced after this point if this is sent Mt.gox:

http://blockchain.info/address/145immFbT62QQ11Rg4eJ5CvB6Ajmpxebyd

They must keep records of wallets right?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 08:28:08 PM

I can see the transaction on the chain and my coins going off in the oblivion to 2 differerent addresses.  One for a very small amount, like the transaction fee, and the balance going elsewhere.  Then I lose it.  

You might be misunderstanding how hosted (shared) EWallets function.   When you are given a Bitcoin address for depositing to your Mt. Gox's account, that address is not your own address, it it simply an address in Mt. Gox's wallet and any payments received to that address are added to your Mt. Gox exchange account.  So looking at the blockchain will help you verify that your payment was sent, but it cannot be used to determine what happens to those funds from that point on.  Mt. Gox will credit the appropriate account when the transaction reaches six confirmations and that's the end of it are far as what you can determine by monitoring the blockchain.

I was making a payment through the Mt. Gox merchant payment system

So if you are the customer, then only the merchant will see the payment confirm.  If you sent the payment and that transaction has six or more confirmations, then the merchant should have gotten notification that payment was completed.   Are you saying the the transaction has confirmed and the merchant is still waiting on your payment?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Zedster (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 10:35:46 PM

I can see the transaction on the chain and my coins going off in the oblivion to 2 differerent addresses.  One for a very small amount, like the transaction fee, and the balance going elsewhere.  Then I lose it.  

You might be misunderstanding how hosted (shared) EWallets function.   When you are given a Bitcoin address for depositing to your Mt. Gox's account, that address is not your own address, it it simply an address in Mt. Gox's wallet and any payments received to that address are added to your Mt. Gox exchange account.  So looking at the blockchain will help you verify that your payment was sent, but it cannot be used to determine what happens to those funds from that point on.  Mt. Gox will credit the appropriate account when the transaction reaches six confirmations and that's the end of it are far as what you can determine by monitoring the blockchain.

I think you are misunderstanding me.  I am not talking about a depositing to Mt. Gox for my exchange account.  I am talking about paying a merchant through their payment system.  The wallet that funds were sent to were a temp wallet that Mt.gox generated for the payment. When my browser crashed that temp address had changed when i was able to bring the page up again.  Now the page could never see the money I deposited to the original address.

I was making a payment through the Mt. Gox merchant payment system

So if you are the customer, then only the merchant will see the payment confirm.  If you sent the payment and that transaction has six or more confirmations, then the merchant should have gotten notification that payment was completed.   Are you saying the the transaction has confirmed and the merchant is still waiting on your payment?

Everything has over 6 confirms but no one can tell me what these two wallets are. This is where my BTC is.

13rA2RhMrEpmpERkn4Fdpw1FNMZ5Cm4EWn
19d1QJmujPNvD93oX3aYxHgvx5q8EXgATb

Yes no one can tell me where my BTC is Mt. Box or the merchant I was trying to pay.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 11:42:42 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2013, 12:31:37 AM by Stephen Gornick

I am talking about paying a merchant through their payment system.  The wallet that funds were sent to were a temp wallet that Mt.gox generated for the payment.

Calling it a "temp wallet" is the wrong term.  It is simply the Bitcoin address their ordering system presented to you as the customer for use when sending payment.

Everything has over 6 confirms but no one can tell me what these two wallets are.

Then the merchant got the money (assuming Mt. Gox's service credited everything properly after the 6th confirmation).

So your BTCs should have been received by Mt. Gox and automatically credited to the merchant's account.  But ignore the blockchain.   It gives no useful information other than yes, the payment from you has received six or more confirmations.  After that, nothing matters because the address your payment went to isn't either your wallet nor is it the merchant's wallet.

Have you contacted the merchant to inquire?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Zedster (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:18:14 AM

Yes I am in contact with both parties. The merchant claims to not have received it. Mt. Gox  went home until tomorrow.
Zedster (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:47:18 PM

The next chapter of this story is Mt. Gox says I will receive my coins back to an address I had specified in the transaction but it will take 2 weeks. I don't know if this is an admission that things went wrong on their end or just to shut me up about such a small amount of BTC (my name is not Voorhees).

But even though 2 weeks is a million years in the BTC world I guess I can live with this outcome.  Now I wait.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: