Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:31:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bit coin mining hardware  (Read 891 times)
Donaloo (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 10:55:00 AM

Hi Guys,

I was looking to start up bit coin mining but I was wanting to know from the experts which company to go with so far I have seen "asic" and "ant miner". Any suggestions ?.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drazah

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 12:17:31 PM

Hi Guys,

I was looking to start up bit coin mining but I was wanting to know from the experts which company to go with so far I have seen "asic" and "ant miner". Any suggestions ?.

Hello! I'm pretty sure Antminers are the most used hardware now since they seem to be the only company releasing decent hardware now. I too recently got back into bitcoin and was asking this same question. A lot of it has to do with how much you are willing to spend on the hardware, how much you spend for electricity, and then location. Depending on your scope, you can check out rigs like the Antminer S7, S5, etc etc and see what would work for you.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 05:44:21 PM

Hi Guys,

It is actually Bitmain on the company.  Antminer is the miners that they make they are marked with S(something here to show which model).   So for example the new one is going to be the S9.

For most looking to mine after having getting a S9 is going to be a serious option to look at- https://bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=0002016052907243375530DcJIoK0654 .  They just have a great efficiency.  Only people this does not effect is small number that have "free" electricity.
CarrollFilms

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Can I eat a Bitcoin?

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 09:21:00 PM

I have a small mining operation in my apartment. Couple of S5's with free electricity. I like the hashing rate of the S9, but that price man. Even with my free electricity and soon to be halved reward. It would take 207 days (at 12.5 Bitcoin block reward) at a fixed difficulty to break even, according to coinwarz mining calculator.

I wouldn't buy an S9 just yet. Not worth the investment at its current price in terms of how long it would take to ROI.

Back in my day Bitcoin used to cost $69
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 09:38:57 PM

I have a small mining operation in my apartment. Couple of S5's with free electricity. I like the hashing rate of the S9, but that price man. Even with my free electricity and soon to be halved reward. It would take 207 days (at 12.5 Bitcoin block reward) at a fixed difficulty to break even, according to coinwarz mining calculator.

I wouldn't buy an S9 just yet. Not worth the investment at its current price in terms of how long it would take to ROI.

It no longer is a 90 day ROI sadly, it's longterm investments.   Currently the S9 for those paying for electricity is a great option for after having.   After having many that pay for electricity will have a hard time with a lot of miners to run (likely all speculation).

I don't deny 2k is a lot of investment, as it's a good amount of cash.  But it currently is best option for many.
CarrollFilms

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Can I eat a Bitcoin?

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 09:57:34 PM

It no longer is a 90 day ROI sadly, it's longterm investments.   Currently the S9 for those paying for electricity is a great option for after having.   After having many that pay for electricity will have a hard time with a lot of miners to run (likely all speculation).

I don't deny 2k is a lot of investment, as it's a good amount of cash.  But it currently is best option for many.

And that is sadly where risky investments happen too. With severe increases in hashing that will make mining difficulty rise even higher having a much higher hash rate in pools. Therefor your return will be smaller and smaller. And you just have to hope that, either, buying more you have a better chance to ROI or just hope for the best and you don't get killed by your electricity bill in the process and end up mining at a loss. I feel like the best investors for the S9 would be those with either dirt dirt cheap electricity or those who have free power.

With how much the price of Bitcoin has risen the past 2 weeks I would feel like $2100 would be a better investment into coin than into a miner.

Back in my day Bitcoin used to cost $69
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 12:13:46 AM

And that is sadly where risky investments happen too. With severe increases in hashing that will make mining difficulty rise even higher having a much higher hash rate in pools. Therefor your return will be smaller and smaller. And you just have to hope that, either, buying more you have a better chance to ROI or just hope for the best and you don't get killed by your electricity bill in the process and end up mining at a loss. I feel like the best investors for the S9 would be those with either dirt dirt cheap electricity or those who have free power.

With how much the price of Bitcoin has risen the past 2 weeks I would feel like $2100 would be a better investment into coin than into a miner.

For some people the risk of mining is much more fun (for me) and more attractive. Some people don't like sitting on a coin for a price rise, but as of now, it is almost guaranteed that the price of bitcoin will go up substantially after the halving, to a point where you'll make at least, say , 120% roi. With the halving coming on, and coin reward being halved, this otherworldly efficiency will just be equivalent to maybe 7THS today in terms of profit. It's pretty late in the mining world to start now, as people with dirt cheap electricity are taking advantage of their situation. ROI is getting longer and longer to reach, and mining is indeed shifting to large scale projects. This may be the last "good" miner for the average Joe that we'll see - 10 cent electricity and generic A/C.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 05:16:13 AM

For some people the risk of mining is much more fun (for me) and more attractive. Some people don't like sitting on a coin for a price rise, but as of now, it is almost guaranteed that the price of bitcoin will go up substantially after the halving, to a point where you'll make at least, say , 120% roi. With the halving coming on, and coin reward being halved, this otherworldly efficiency will just be equivalent to maybe 7THS today in terms of profit. It's pretty late in the mining world to start now, as people with dirt cheap electricity are taking advantage of their situation. ROI is getting longer and longer to reach, and mining is indeed shifting to large scale projects. This may be the last "good" miner for the average Joe that we'll see - 10 cent electricity and generic A/C.

I also enjoy mining, have spent a good amount twords it consider my self a hobby miner.   It is much more fun for me to mine then sit on coins, but I realize there is risk.    I sadly agree 10 cent day's might be over within next generation... hopefully not.

But I think we will see a lot of increase before having aswell.  With investors knowing in advance it is no secret so I don't see a reason for them to wait, and day after having instantly jump up price.   I think it will be more gradual and likely already started as at 580 on coinbase... that is pretty nice.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: