Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:53:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 1456 times)
Ignorante3 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 05:22:17 PM

Is it possible to make a a rig with any model of that device on a hub? I'm trying to make a rig to mining litecoin, i'm thinking on buying the usb moonlanders. Can anybody help? I'm new at the scene...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 05:43:48 PM

To begin, this custom device requires the compilation of the driver from source for all Linux machines, including Raspberry Pi. See this post for instructions (the gist being to install build dependencies, autogen, configure, make, and install).

It appears that there is some x86/x64-specific code in the repository, but it's SHA256-specific and may be skipped entirely when building only scrypt and this piece of hardware. Of course, you'll have to try it and see.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
Ignorante3 (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 06:01:07 PM

don't know how to compile it... i've read elsewhere that this sticks don't work on a hub at the full clock speed!
hexafraction

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 06:07:14 PM

don't know how to compile it... i've read elsewhere that this sticks don't work on a hub at the full clock speed!

If you have a powered hub then you should be set as long as the hub can provide sufficient power.

As for compiling, the instructions are provided at the second link I gave. If you are having trouble or don't want to compile it for yourself I may be able to cross-compile it for Raspberry Pi for you (or dig up a Pi, compile, and send you the compiled version), but I won't have time to do that for a couple of weeks.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 06:29:55 PM

I doubt very much you would be mining very much litecoin with a pie rig?  prob not even worth the hassle
Ignorante3 (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 06:45:50 PM

I doubt very much you would be mining very much litecoin with a pie rig?  prob not even worth the hassle

i'm willing to give it a try... do you know if it is possible to have more than one hub connected to the pi?
hexafraction

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 06:47:22 PM

i'm willing to give it a try... do you know if it is possible to have more than one hub connected to the pi?

Yes, you can have a separate powered hub on each of the USB ports. I don't believe that there is a particularly large amount of USB data traffic needed to support mining.

Ignorante3 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 10:09:06 PM

Yes, you can have a separate powered hub on each of the USB ports. I don't believe that there is a particularly large amount of USB data traffic needed to support mining.

Do you know if the pi 3 is a better option for setting up a rig? Do you know if the minera image file on other website work on the pi?
hexafraction

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 12:20:18 AM

Do you know if the minera image file on other website work on the pi?

Doubt it. To begin, there's Moonlander-specific code in that repository and so any old miner won't help you. Additionally, normal Linux software that's compiled won't run on a Pi (platform-independent languages such as Python or Java may depending on other software factors). I strongly encourage using the official moonlander code that I linked.

Ignorante3 (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 10:30:12 AM

Doubt it. To begin, there's Moonlander-specific code in that repository and so any old miner won't help you. Additionally, normal Linux software that's compiled won't run on a Pi (platform-independent languages such as Python or Java may depending on other software factors). I strongly encourage using the official moonlander code that I linked.

There are some reports of working status on the pi http://unix.mm5aes.net/?p=minera-build-with-fururebit-moonlander-support! Does anyone know for sure?
Ignorante3 (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 10:47:40 AM

does anyone know if this hub http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006TT91TW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&sr=1-10&m=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&tag=ianker-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B006TT91TW work well on a pi? With several moonlanders?
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 11:24:22 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2016, 11:44:20 PM by toptek

There are some reports of working status on the pi http://unix.mm5aes.net/?p=minera-build-with-fururebit-moonlander-support! Does anyone know for sure?

that hub should work and sense the Moonlander is actually a Alchemist chip you can use minera i do with my Alchemist 256 and a PI and USB 3 hub and not the controller it came with. and any PI type should work just use BFG in the custom folder in minera with any PI type, your set . in a July release the DEV of minera told me hes rewriting Minera making it work  with all most anything and more lightweight .so we may see minera with a windows version and able to mine eth out of the box i do mean out of the box unlike some others have claimed with there eth software miners, minera has all ways been built with that intention . to be very user friendly but yet for the advanced user as well.

or USE BFG by it self without Minera on any PI type not just raspberry ,  i know that will work https://archive.litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=28691.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj-y4QvoWx4

Cya

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
hexafraction

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 09:44:34 PM

that hub should work and sense the Moonlander is actually a Alchemist chip you can use minera i do with my Alchemist 256 and a PI and USB 3 hub and not the controller it came with. and any PI type should work just use BFG in the custom folder in minera with any PI type, your set . in a July release the DEV of minera told me hes rewriting Minera making it work  with all most anything and more lightweight .so we may see minera with a windows version and able to mine eth out of the box i do mean out of the box unlike some others have claimed with there eth software miners, minera has all ways been built with that intention . to be very user friendly but yet for the advanced user as well.

or USE BFG by it self without Minera on any PI type not just raspberry ,  i know that will work https://archive.litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=28691.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj-y4QvoWx4

Cya

Ah, thank you for clarifying. I wasn't aware that the Moonlander actually used an architecture/protocol already supported in another mining software project.

BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2971

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2016, 11:28:21 PM

I thought that you can use raspberry pi only for pos staking not for mining purposes.. And i hope some can give more details about mining raspberry pi.. i have many stuck i just use it for programming cellphones.. i will convert it into mining purposes..

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 12:22:05 AM

I thought that you can use raspberry pi only for pos staking not for mining purposes.. And i hope some can give more details about mining raspberry pi.. i have many stuck i just use it for programming cellphones.. i will convert it into mining purposes..

I use one to run my Avalon 4.1 the Avalon 4.1 and 6 has OpenWrt software for raspberry PI's , i use miniea with my Avalon 4.1 ,  i use Different pi types to run my Alchemist and grid seed 25 mh blade with minera and use one as a Proxy to mine with , they have all kinds of uses, if i could figure out how to use one it to run my GPU rig i would over using a MB.  i have 10 PI types there fun to play with .they actually don't mine just control the miners that do.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
hexafraction

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 12:45:51 AM

I use one to run my Avalon 4.1 the Avalon 4.1 and 6 has OpenWrt software for raspberry PI's , i use miniea with my Avalon 4.1 ,  i use Different pi types to run my Alchemist and grid seed 25 mh blade with minera and use one as a Proxy to mine with , they have all kinds of uses, if i could figure out how to use one it to run my GPU rig i would over using a MB.  i have 10 PI types there fun to play with .they actually don't mine just control the miners that do.

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a smallish FPGA act as a PCIe master and send instructions to the graphics card to perform mining using some given OpenCL/CUDA kernel. I'd assume that the complexity would be immense though (perhaps to practical impossibility), especially in terms of the driver/kernel code considerations and such.

Ignorante3 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 10:30:35 PM

I've heard elsewhere that there are some guys working on a faster chip for mining litecoin! does anyone knows if that is for sure? a alchemist guys say that they have a powerful chip! Maybe a rumor? I've lost the source of that information, can't confirm!     
Ignorante3 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 09:45:15 PM

i've purchase the pi.. what a nice piece of hardware...  Wink
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 10:17:35 PM

I've heard elsewhere that there are some guys working on a faster chip for mining litecoin! does anyone knows if that is for sure? a alchemist guys say that they have a powerful chip! Maybe a rumor? I've lost the source of that information, can't confirm!    
Alcheminer? Yes, they have a usb miner plus a larger miner. http://www.alcheminer.com/ <--- No usb miner, the usb is made by Futurebit.
there's the Futurebit Moonlander that uses the Alcheminer chip, runs up to 1+mh/s that's made for scrypt mining, and matching software for it. The thread is found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1248914.0
It's not sold by jstefanop anymore, but there's plenty of resellers (Asicpuppy used to sell them, but they ran out) on Amazon and eBay. If you decide to get one, it's basically the Gekkoscience Compac of the Scrypt world- plenty of overclocking and modding possible, and made by the community. Alcheminer also sells their own miners if you'd like to get one, but personally I'd spend my money supporting forum members than some company I don't know well.
Ignorante3 (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 09:16:23 PM

There are no moonlanders available? I've read elsewhere that they will be available soon!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: