Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 03:31:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtex Canada will have to review their fees, finally...  (Read 2479 times)
ehoffman (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 10:39:22 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2013, 11:12:16 PM by ehoffman

In Canada, the only real exchange for us is the Canadian Virtual Exchange (caVirtex).  However, a year ago they raised their BTC trading fees from 0.5% to 3% (2.5% if you have 100BTC transaction in the last 120 days, 2% if you have 300 BTC transactions, etc) based on dodgy basis (to supposedly cover their fees for trying to establish with the government laws/paperwork).  So us, Canadian, really get stealing fees.

So, it's really bad for trading, especially if you want to buy and sell later (or the inverse) and make profit.  You basically can't do short term trading since this need BTC to fluctuate like 5~10 points for any profit to be made.

Most other exchanges have like 0.X% fees.  Mt. Gox base fee is 0.6%.

Now that they (Gox) are coming to North America, and promise easy trading for Canadians too (even if in USD), caVirtex will eat their shirt Grin...  finally...

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 03:05:02 AM

I really really hope so, I've been wishing for this for a while now!
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 06:56:43 AM

In Canada, the only real exchange for us is the Canadian Virtual Exchange (caVirtex).

I was looking at Canadian exchanges yesterday after seeing that cavirtex charges a huge 3%.

I found https://www.libertybit.com/ who only charge 0.5%.

We have a low 0.5% fee on all BTC trades regardless of volume, price, or currency. Reduce your spreads.

Do you have any experience of them?

The spread is currently $67.57 CAD - $70.20 CAD - or about 3.9%, so I guess that's a problem.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 08:43:45 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2013, 09:02:20 PM by moni3z

I bet coinlab won't be any cheaper for Canadian funds either. Seems like they would make money off transferring the funds, and Gox makes money off trading fees, so you're still looking at roughly the same amount
bitcoinscanada

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 09:43:03 PM

Exchanges need to markup the prices a bit to they can make a profit and keep their operations going, which is a convenience to us all..
nitrous

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 09:54:51 PM

Exchanges need to markup the prices a bit to they can make a profit and keep their operations going, which is a convenience to us all..

I'm not in Canada, but 3% seems overly steep. In essence, bitcoin exchanges are simply forex platforms (even if they aren't nearly as professional yet). These platforms usually make their money in the spread, which is often less than 0.05%! It is true that they typically have large minimum trade sizes and their volumes are much higher, but surely all bitcoin exchanges should aim for less than 1% fees if they wish to stay trusted and competitive.

Donations: 1Q2EN7TzJ6z82xvmQrRoQoMf3Tf4rMCyvL
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation: https://bitbucket.org/nitrous/mtgox-api/overview
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation Forum Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164404.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: