Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 12:44:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why you shouldnt use mtgox ever again  (Read 5424 times)
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:02:34 AM

Well to make this quick and easy there are many reasons but I am going to name the big ones,
  • trading engine lags 770seconds
  • has had many problems with withdrawls
  • has had major dwolla problems in the past which i have heard still are not sorted out
  • cancel button rarely works correctly
  • during major movements trading is nearly impossible

The above reasons are just a few probelms i know off hand, mtgox is the leader in btc exchanges execpt they dont act like it and rarely fix anything.  There support honestly sucks, dont know the last time it was even possible to get someone on live chat. I personally used mtgox for many months but as bitcoin grows and gets more users mtgox is just begging for more and more problems.I do understand it takes time to fix some problems but its been months some problems even a year and still nothing has changed. Mtgox just sits and thinks they are the leader in the market and noone else has a chance. I recommened you remove all your coins from mtgox prior to the coinlab transition and use other exchanges, btc-e is okay, bitcoin-24 is another decent option, bitfloor and bitstamp are both quite nice. as more and more users make the switch the price will become better and better and maybe mtgox will relalize they need to step there game up if they want real users.

EDIT: changed mtgox lag to 663

EDIT: changed mtgox lag again, just cant keep up with how bad it gets, 731.81
marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:05:51 AM

BTC is still not ready for primetime.  MtGox is one of the primary examples - but we are still building the necessary infrastruction for legitimate investors to take notice of our little geek niche specialty currency.  FWIW I do believe BTC or more generally cryptocurrency can change the world or at least become very valuable - just that many people around here have gotten WAY ahead of where we really are today

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:07:27 AM

BTC is still not ready for primetime.  MtGox is one of the primary examples - but we are still building the necessary infrastruction for legitimate investors to take notice of our little geek niche specialty currency.  FWIW I do believe BTC or more generally cryptocurrency can change the world or at least become very valuable - just that many people around here have gotten WAY ahead of where we really are today
Not arguing that but if mtgox plans to have a future in that economy then they need to step up there game
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:08:02 AM

BTC is still not ready for primetime. 

Nah. Primetime's not ready for Bitcoin yet. Almost.
solomon

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:21:28 AM

They've rushed ahead with services without getting the fundamentals correct. It will hurt them in the long run

bitcoin price ticker | bits.so
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:30:54 AM

They've rushed ahead with services without getting the fundamentals correct. It will hurt them in the long run
agreed 100%, before you can move on you need the basics to work 110% then you can move on to extra features.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:35:24 AM

Not just bad, REALLY bad.

starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:50:30 AM

if you guys wanna hear a good part of this, depending on the lag is how many users are on mtgox which seems to have a major corelation to how big of a rise or drop we have lol
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:20:21 AM

They are simply horrible.

Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:46:00 AM

Moving all the USD to the US will make seizure of funds more likely.

BitcoinMint.US

Activity: 284
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:06:27 AM

So many newbie threads everywhere!  You can tell who just joined the, "I panic sold all my BTC" club just by scanning the thread titles.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:12:25 AM

So many newbie threads everywhere!  You can tell who just joined the, "I panic sold all my BTC" club just by scanning the thread titles.

That is off topic, since MTGox really is a horrible trading platform.

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:16:46 AM

There surely are issues to sort out, and the trading engine seems to have big problems keeping up when there's a lot of traffic, same problem with their data API.

What would be a great thing to do, would be to have anonymous user submitted issues in a tracking system, then all customers could vote on the issues, and the ones raising to the top, would have the most attention from the devs.
qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:43:00 AM

Yes the lag on mtgox is often unacceptable. I've never seen bitfloor get slow.
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 11:51:10 AM

So many newbie threads everywhere!  You can tell who just joined the, "I panic sold all my BTC" club just by scanning the thread titles.
most of the people posting here arent newbies ins all hero memebers just fyi.

There surely are issues to sort out, and the trading engine seems to have big problems keeping up when there's a lot of traffic, same problem with their data API.

What would be a great thing to do, would be to have anonymous user submitted issues in a tracking system, then all customers could vote on the issues, and the ones raising to the top, would have the most attention from the devs.

I agre that would be a decent idea and maybe we could see some improvements but its not accecptable to be the leader in the market and have these types of problems for months. If you do have these problems well then its quite clear you shouldnt be the leader in the market

I think we need to make it clear to mtgox that if they wont change they wont have any users soon. I think prior to march 22nd we should all withdraw out funds from mtgox and move to other smaller exchanges to hopefull teach mtgox a lesson
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 11:33:10 PM

Yes the lag on mtgox is often unacceptable. I've never seen bitfloor get slow.

MtGox slow again now

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 11:36:05 PM

Moving all the USD to the US will make seizure of funds more likely.

This is why I'm not going to be using Mt. Gox (though I admit, I never did Tongue)  It's just asking for a problem.  Let's just setup the pirate/hydra bay over here too and see how well that goes.

Merralea

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 11:42:52 PM

Add for US/Canadians the approaching coinlab cliff of doom.

So, agreed. To bit-----! Or wherever the hell else one pleases.
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:00:21 AM

Right now im a huge fan of bitstamp and btc-e. Also Another reason to not use mtgox is the are stopping MTGOX USD coupons

http://www.bitcoinmoney.com/post/44860726799/mtgusd-redeemable-code-the-end-is-neigh
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:04:37 AM

All of these things the OP mentions may be the case, but is there really a better alternative for US customers at this point?  Not really, that I've seen...
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: