Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:08:16 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox should halt trading when Order Lag time is this long.  (Read 2520 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:19:22 AM

Last check it was a 15 minute lag time for orders to be processed. At this point I think Mt.Gox should halt trading, it dangerous to the system if you can't process orders in a reasonable time frame, and nor can users cancel their orders, you're just getting a dam behind which is a ever increasing number of panicing sellers/buyers who have no accurate information and yet every decision they make only exacerbates the problem.

more or less retired.
aurora

Activity: 158
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 12:21:57 AM

they prolly do lagging on purpose

Dym.game
Double your money. Use Martingale/anti strategies. 1 to 1 odds
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:24:17 AM

its unacceptable.

more or less retired.
aurora

Activity: 158
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 12:28:36 AM

i think gox heard you.....................
decentralized=high risk
centralized=low risk
Thats the life

Dym.game
Double your money. Use Martingale/anti strategies. 1 to 1 odds
playtin

Activity: 201
Merit: 101

https://playt.in

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 12:29:27 AM

Is the issue MtGox being slow, or is the real issue that everyone uses MtGox despite being so slow?
Just asking.

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:30:25 AM

Is the issue MtGox being slow, or is the real issue that everyone uses MtGox despite being so slow?
Just asking.

Well this is seriously making me think otherwise. I will probably move off gox in the near future to smaller exchanges that can handle their volume.

more or less retired.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:32:55 AM

MtGox still cannot handle moderate to high volume without freezing, crashing, stalling, etc.
I cannot even cancel orders without a loooooooooooooooooong delay, LOL?

dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 12:38:38 AM

Why not just set your own buy/sell price on orders, then you don't run the risk of selling at an uncertain market price....unless you are yourself a panic seller trying to unload your bitcoins for whatever anyone will give you...in which case you get what you get.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:40:58 AM

Why not just set your own buy/sell price on orders, then you don't run the risk of selling at an uncertain market price....unless you are yourself a panic seller trying to unload your bitcoins for whatever anyone will give you...in which case you get what you get.

because sometimes the market price leaves what you expected and you want to place/cancel an order.

more or less retired.
imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:14:21 AM

because sometimes the market price leaves what you expected and you want to place/cancel an order.
Serves everyone who got damaged right for continuing to crowd on MtG.
So many other great exchanges now.

If you insist on having the usual Wall-Street style centralization, enjoy the periodic pump-and-dump fleecing at MtGox, and the consequent Bitcoin/USD instability in general!  Cheesy

skilo

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:49:50 AM

It would almost be funny if their incompetence wasn't costing people money.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:51:07 AM

I know this was insane, almost lost a huge profit that I made from selling at 48 and buying back at 37, when I could have really brought at 35 if the lag was better. My trading bot turn it self off the lag was too big.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:23:34 PM

Last check it was a 15 minute lag time for orders to be processed. At this point I think Mt.Gox should halt trading, it dangerous to the system if you can't process orders in a reasonable time frame, and nor can users cancel their orders, you're just getting a dam behind which is a ever increasing number of panicing sellers/buyers who have no accurate information and yet every decision they make only exacerbates the problem.

This is actually a good point. Choppy market is one thing but at some point trades were being reported out of order on a half hour span.

The other consideration is that halting trading causes panic. A damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: