Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The only way for Bitcoin to catch on is through banks  (Read 1661 times)
Viyamore

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 06:37:08 PM

I hope the banks can adopt the bitcoin so that I can save and borrow bitcoin from the banks. They are regulated, more trustable.
No , i think its just as dream to be come true .if that happens i think the anonymously of bitcoin will not go as it is .but as the OP linked credit cards/mastercard it will be more applicable for us to use.

▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄
            ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████████▄▄
        ▄▄███▀   ▄▄▄   ▀████████████████████████▄▄
     ▄██████  ▄███████▄  ▀██████████████████▀▀▀█████▄
   ▄███████    ███▀▀ ██    ███████████  ███▀  ▄███████▄
  █████████▄  ▄█▀  ▄███    ██████████  ▄██  ▄███████████
 ██████████████▀  ████▀   ▄██▀▀▀████  ▄████▀  ███████████
██████████████▀  ▄███▀   ▄█▀  ▄▄ ██▀ ▄█  ██  █████████████
██████████████   ▀     ▄██▀  ▄█  █▀  █   █▀▄  ▀███████████
█████████████▀  ▄███▄  ▀██   ██ ▄▄▄  █▀ ▄▄▀█▄  ▀▄█████████
█████████████   █████   ▀██▄ ▀▄████▄  ▄███▄▀  ▄███████████
 █████   ▀██▀  ▄█████    █▀▀█████████████████▀███████████
  ████   ▄█▀   █████    ██ ▀▄█▀▄▄▀█ ▀▄▀█▀▄▀ █▀█ ▀▄██████
   ▀███▄▄   ▄█▄ ▀▀     ███ █ █ ▄▄▄█  █ █ █  █ █ ██████▀
     ▀██████████▄▄▄▄▄█████▄█▄██▄▄██ █▄███▄█▄█▄█▄████▀
        ▀▀██████████████████████████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████████████████████████▀▀
                 ▀▀▀██████████████████▀▀▀
      ..Powered by..
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
|
|
|
|

▀██▄       ▀████▄
▄    ▀██          ▀██▄
██▄ ▄███         ▄█████▄▄
 ▀███████▄     ▄██▀ ▀▀████
      ▀████▄ ▄██▀     ▀█▀
        ▀████▄
        ▄█▀████▄
      ▄███▄▀▀████▄
    ▄████▀    ▀████▄
  ▄████▀        ▀██▀█▄
  ▀██▀            ▀██▀
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 07:35:31 PM

Dude you can get a Bitcoin debit card right now and pay with it where fiat debit cards like Visa and MasterCard are accepted but this won't magically make Bitcoin more widespread because people wouldn't be interested to use it in the first place. People who are inclined to use Bitcoin already have bank accounts and credit cards and loans and mortgages and stuff and they are using both. If you are genuinely interested in Bitcoin you don't need banks to use it, you can always find a way to convert back and forth to fiat. I think adding Bitcoin to your bank account won't popularize Bitcoin more just because people will have an easy access to it through a payment institution they are comfortable with already.
MingLee

Activity: 490
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 07:41:43 PM

Bitcoin doesn't really need to rely on banks in order to catch on, a lot of what has to happen is giving Bitcoin a good image and getting people legitimately interested in it, whether that is through the prospect of making money or just the technology. There isn't a specific service that has to be available in order for Bitcoin to catch on with a lot of people.

Plus the way banks make money automatically defeats the premise of Bitcoin, and ruins what is supposed to exist. Fractional reserve lending just isn't something that has a place within the cryptosphere.
pogress

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 09:14:48 PM

Bitcoin = be your own bank. Bitcoin is not necessary for everyone, when you give control of your Bitcoin to anyone else you dont own the Bitcoin anymore, just some IOU with uncertain value (no guarantee at all you get the Bitcoin back).
mkc

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 09:20:44 PM

Never relies on anybody rlse. Bitcoin can catch on all by itself. I think the best persons are those travel internationally often. They do have bank and appciate the convienieence of Bitcoin.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 10:07:26 PM

Nobody needs a bank to keep his wallet, but we could imagine banks moving into the exchange business. Many banks are already selling foreign currencies, or gold, so they could sell BTC as well with little effort.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 11:06:22 PM

I keep hearing the same old story that "Bitcoin was born as a currency not controlled by banks" and "banks aren't needed for someone to keep his Bitcoins". I'm sorry to hear this. The masses will never turn to Bitcoin if they have to use a computer and take care of their own money. In fact, the masses couldn't care less about a bank-free world and peer-to-peer money.

Under construction.
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2016, 09:02:49 AM

...or the sheeple finally wakes up.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2016, 09:05:08 AM

The two entities can co-exist without the need for blood to spill.

Wrong. Bitcoin (healthy economy) slowly converts fractional reserve system (sick economy), and that is main purpose of it.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
freshman777

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2016, 09:18:46 AM

I keep hearing the same old story that "Bitcoin was born as a currency not controlled by banks" and "banks aren't needed for someone to keep his Bitcoins". I'm sorry to hear this. The masses will never turn to Bitcoin if they have to use a computer and take care of their own money. In fact, the masses couldn't care less about a bank-free world and peer-to-peer money.

They don't until they do, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=160292.0

ARDOR - Blockchain as a Service. Three birds with one stone. /// Do not hold NXT at exchanges, NXT wallets: core+lite, mobile Android
yenxz

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 09:28:23 AM

Since I joined this forum and the Bitcoin world, I couldn't help but notice how much most bitcoiners hate banks. OK, I agree they have done more harm than good to our society, but I also think the future of Bitcoin is tied to banks. What I mean is that in 20 years, a number of banks (or, ideally, all of them) will offer Bitcoin wallets and credit/debit cards linked to the former which will allow you to pay at the supermarket in the same way you do now. This is the only way for Bitcoin to explode. In the future I don't see the average Joe paying by using QR code scanning, smartphone apps, etc. Bitcoin can only catch on if its use requires no particular knowledge or skill on the user's part.
yes its have possibility if bitcoin tied wth bank someday,bitcoin will become banks commodity and regulate by central banks,and this is will end of bitcoin freedom?no one can make sure this,but its might happen.
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1213

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 10:13:06 AM

I don't think this would happen. Bitcoin won't get tied up to the banking sector. With the technology giving much ease of access as well the security, the backing technology might be used or adopted by the banking service providers.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 11:43:12 AM

The existence of banks may be attractive.
But let's face it. Banks wouldn't adopt bitcoins because they obviously do not like transparency. We all know that all banks are not the good (as in good/evil).
wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 08:48:36 PM

Since I joined this forum and the Bitcoin world, I couldn't help but notice how much most bitcoiners hate banks. OK, I agree they have done more harm than good to our society, but I also think the future of Bitcoin is tied to banks. What I mean is that in 20 years, a number of banks (or, ideally, all of them) will offer Bitcoin wallets and credit/debit cards linked to the former which will allow you to pay at the supermarket in the same way you do now. This is the only way for Bitcoin to explode. In the future I don't see the average Joe paying by using QR code scanning, smartphone apps, etc. Bitcoin can only catch on if its use requires no particular knowledge or skill on the user's part.

That is not true!
Mass adoption has nothing to do with banks!Not even in the slightest!
Please explain me why people should use a wallet where probably the bank will have the control of your bitcoin funds when they all could use wallets in which they will have the total control of?
What you explain already exists today? Or what do you think Coinbase is? They act like a shitty bank!
Bitcoin will grow and evolve completely independent from the banking sector.The same will happen with other fintechs!

Your last sentence has to do with ease of use, meaning progress in the technology and user interfaces, and not with any incumbent institutions!

I'm saying that banks will inevitably convert to Bitcoin (the same way camera making companies converted from analog to digital photography) and will offer services that would greatly simplify the use of Bitcoin for the average person. They will go at the supermarket and will pay in the same way they have always done their whole life. We need to accept the fact the average user will never download a Bitcoin client and setup their own envinroment, simply because they have no knowledge or will to do so.

Yes, everything every company like the advancement and development as it is the nature of this world and they know that without it they will lose their business, if banks did not start bitcoins then people will leave banks forever.
hikedoon

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 09:19:42 PM

BINGO!
 I couldn't agree more with you.
 Most people want simplicity over cleverness.
 I've been getting blank stares for 2 and a half years from most people I mention Bitcoin to.
 Can't really blame them as I was the same till I spent the time to read up on what Bitcoin really is rather than just taking the media's version of what
 Bitcoin is.
 Started to just keep my mouth shut now.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 11:51:06 PM

Bitcoin can only catch on if its use requires no particular knowledge or skill on the user's part.

Yeah, but was has this to do with banks? You can already use Bitcoin quite easily by installing an app to your smartphone. It's definitely not more complicated than online banking. Also, the usability of Bitcoin can be and is constantly improving through software development.

With Bitcoin, banks in their current form will become obsolete. they might have a chance to survive as some form of insurance companies (insurance against financials data theft/loss). However they will cease to be an integral part of the financial system. The simple reason for this is that they no longer will have a privilege when it comes to money creation. This renders them powerless. The potential services that may exist around Bitcoin can be provided by any non-bank company as well. There is no reason to believe that banks would have any special qualification to offer Bitcoin services.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
wintermeasures

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 02:30:52 AM

May I argue? I think no one bitcoin users hate banks because bitcoin is more easy and simple than banks. Because we know now we are still difficult to spend a bitcoin to buy something in the shops because they do not accept bitcoin. therefore we still need the help of the bank, because with bank we could use the bitcoin. in other words we can transfer our bitcoin to bank in usd maybe. Thank you
neonshium

Activity: 1134
Merit: 515

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 11:28:40 AM

You are true, I am also of your view that one day when bitcoin become more popular then banks and governments will adopt it for their financial affairs and will start working with it.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 08:17:09 PM

That is not true!
Mass adoption has nothing to do with banks!Not even in the slightest!
Please explain me why people should use a wallet where probably the bank will have the control of your bitcoin funds when they all could use wallets in which they will have the total control of?
What you explain already exists today? Or what do you think Coinbase is? They act like a shitty bank!
Bitcoin will grow and evolve completely independent from the banking sector.The same will happen with other fintechs!

Your last sentence has to do with ease of use, meaning progress in the technology and user interfaces, and not with any incumbent institutions!
But for the benefit of the bank and bankers the banks owners will one day start using bitcoin, and people will also start to rely on bitcoin banks, as banks will guarantee the security of their bitcoins.

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 11:51:19 PM

The places where Bitcoin makes most sense is where banking is either shit, unavailable or unattainable for most. In Africa mobile payments have already bypassed a lot of traditional banking. If they want to get online and go global then Bitcoin may make them even more irrelevant.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: