Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 02:13:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This idiot forgot his passphrase need help :(  (Read 709 times)
SublimeSilence (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:39:05 AM

Hi guys I lost my passphrase like an idiot. Good news is I remember part of it for certain. If anyone here can help me I'd love to tip that person, first off my password is either 1 of two things. It's either a set word with numbers and I fat fingered it when I was setting it and am off by a tad, or used an all number password that I forgot the middle of, I for certain know the first 4 digits and last 3 digits but don't remember how long the password is (most likely 12 characters total) If there is anyone here that can help please I would appreciate it greatly.
stdset

Activity: 572
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:19:17 AM

What was protected with the passphrase? If it is something local, e.g. an encrypted wallet - bruteforsing may be is possible. If it is something on the web, it would be much more difficult, because webservices don't let you make too many attempts.

SublimeSilence (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:23:28 AM

It's local
cindelle

Activity: 27

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 06:08:24 AM

had something simlar happen to me a few weeks ago. just had to scrap it and get a new one
SublimeSilence (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 06:42:35 AM

I've got 19 bitcoins on the account I'd hate to scrap it considering what it's worth.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 06:51:05 AM

Hi guys I lost my passphrase like an idiot. Good news is I remember part of it for certain. If anyone here can help me I'd love to tip that person, first off my password is either 1 of two things. It's either a set word with numbers and I fat fingered it when I was setting it and am off by a tad, or used an all number password that I forgot the middle of, I for certain know the first 4 digits and last 3 digits but don't remember how long the password is (most likely 12 characters total) If there is anyone here that can help please I would appreciate it greatly.

Doing a similar service for someone else right now. Cracking takes time. You need to do the following:
1) write down everything about the password you know
2) limit the search space by excluding possibilities
3) find someone to run the search (PM me if you can't find another trusted person)

if you know 7 characters for certain, that leaves you with a 5-dim search space. That's about a trillion possibilities, takes about 1 day on a 400-core cluster with 150 trials /sec/core.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
SublimeSilence (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:03:15 AM

Doing a similar service for someone else right now. Cracking takes time. You need to do the following:
3) find someone to run the search (PM me if you can't find another trusted person)

if you know 7 characters for certain, that leaves you with a 5-dim search space. That's about a trillion possibilities, takes about 1 day on a 400-core cluster with 150 trials /sec/core.

I can say this for certain at this point. It's all numbers, no zero's though. I know 7 digits for certain. It's between 11 and 17 characters at most long. I know the first 4 and last 3.
nanopene

Activity: 49

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:22:01 AM

I can say this for certain at this point. It's all numbers, no zero's though. I know 7 digits for certain. It's between 11 and 17 characters at most long. I know the first 4 and last 3.

With only 11 characters, if you remember 7 of them, it leaves 6,561 characters to try. Absolutely doable within a few minutes, if not seconds.
If it was 17 characters, and you remember 7 of them, it leaves 3,486,784,401 combinations possible.

Better be 11 characters.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 11:20:31 AM

If there is anyone here that can help please I would appreciate it greatly.

Looks like you got professional help:

Here's another version customized for a specific request.  In this case he knows the start and end of his passphrase, but he forgot the number in between except that it definitely doesn't have any zeroes.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

stdset

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:11:21 PM

With 5 unknown characters, given they are all decimal digits it is exactly 100000 possible combinations (not much).

stdset

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 06:38:40 PM

I didn't carefully read all available info. So we know that all unknown characters are decimal digits, but zeros are not used. In the worst case, if password length is 17 chars, that gives us 3.49 billions combinations, what is much worse. But still cracking seems to be possible imo.

nanopene

Activity: 49

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 08:29:54 PM

Here's another version customized for a specific request.  In this case he knows the start and end of his passphrase, but he forgot the number in between except that it definitely doesn't have any zeroes.  Just edit in the parts you know where it says "pass" and "word".

This may be useful for anyone in a "missing number" situation.  You can set the start or end to "" (empty string) if the mystery number is at the end or beginning, and you can add 0 to the list of digits if yours might have a zero.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ruby -w

start = "pass"
finish = "word"

def test(phrase)
  print phrase, "\t"
  system("./bitcoind", "walletpassphrase", phrase, "20")
  case $?.exitstatus
  when 0
    puts "Found it!  #{phrase}"
    exit 0
  when 127
    puts "bitcoind not found in current dir"
    exit 1
  when nil
    puts "Aborting"
    exit 1
  end
end