Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:40:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Goldman Sachs could toast us.  (Read 1050 times)
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 10:06:11 AM

I'd wanna know what butthead is selling bitcoins to GS.
It's new to me that you can decide on a marketplace like MtGox who you want to sell to.
The only choice you have is to either sell, or not, but how do you even know who's buying?

There's no way telling that.

There's so much bs circling around it's hard to cope.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:36:23 PM

I'd wanna know what butthead is selling bitcoins to GS.
It's new to me that you can decide on a marketplace like MtGox who you want to sell to.
The only choice you have is to either sell, or not, but how do you even know who's buying?

My comment was a joke/sarcasm/a bon mot.

That being said, anyone knowingly selling btc to GS or other bottomfeeding parasites is still a butthead.
notbrain

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:16:06 PM

I don't know about you but I don't feel "safe" keeping my money in dollars and dollar-backed assets either. BTC, land, and gold are my go-tos. We are heading towards a dollar crisis very soon, especially if another bailout is needed while the Fed is in no position to render assistance and is basically insolvent. All it will take is a crisis where some country needs to sell dollars to get their own currency back. And when the dollar is no longer 60% of world reserves it will be a new playing field.

All markets are vulnerable to panic. And bots. And natural disasters. And egos. Etc. Traditional markets have rules and shut down to prevent runaway losses. We'll get there with BTC too. Smart investors don't put all their eggs in one basket. Panic selling of BTC is a buying opportunity IMO.

My thoughts are quite similar to yours.

If one examines gold for example it looks good from a 5-10year perspective only. It cannot be compared 1:1 to BTC though. Bitcoin is still in it's infant days and is way different than any other currency/stock/etc which existed so far. (source: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=XAU&to=EUR&view=5Y)

As far as I can see, everyone tries to use patterns and mechanisms experienced in other fields (forex, PM trading, etc) which might not be overall compatible with BTC.

Very true. Governments have control over gold and could make it ILLEGAL for anyone other than the Fed to hoard or even store it overseas (just wait, and read up on FATCA). The real question is what kind of similar "executive orders" or laws could be made to render BTC worthless?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: