Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:56:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: phoenix miner v cgminer  (Read 2537 times)
hickc (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:08:22 AM

I hear people always saying that cgminer is better than phoenix miner. I currently use phoenix miner and am happy with it, and was wondering if anyone could state in specifics what exactly makes cgminer better. I know that cgminer has all the controls integrated into it, but I am able to control those features using afterburner and oc guru, so that doesnt matter to me. Also, I mine with a 5970, 11.10 drivers 2.1 sdk and this link shows all the best results with phoenix miner:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison#AMD_.28ATI.29

So just in terms of hash rates and other mining factors, which miner and better and why?

thanks for the help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:18:28 AM

That hardware list is pretty outdated, and the only CGMiner even on the list is 2.3.1. I recommend trying the newest CGMiner (2.10.5), and trying it out for yourself. It will take you all of 2 minutes to enter in your pool information into the command line arguments, and see if you have any faster results. I havn't tried Phoenix 2.0, but about a year ago I switched from Phoenix to CGminer, and I don't have any regrets.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
hickc (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:24:39 AM

ok, this may seem like a stupid question but I cannot find the windows binaries download for version 2.10.5, I can only find the individual files from these sites, and dont know which ones to download:

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/

https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer

any help please?
hickc (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:41:18 AM

nevermind I figured it out lol.
skeeterskeeter

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 06:55:57 PM

I hear people always saying that cgminer is better than phoenix miner. I currently use phoenix miner and am happy with it, and was wondering if anyone could state in specifics what exactly makes cgminer better. I know that cgminer has all the controls integrated into it, but I am able to control those features using afterburner and oc guru, so that doesnt matter to me. Also, I mine with a 5970, 11.10 drivers 2.1 sdk and this link shows all the best results with phoenix miner:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison#AMD_.28ATI.29

So just in terms of hash rates and other mining factors, which miner and better and why?

thanks for the help.

My experience.

Started with GUIminer. Not enough feedback. When something wasn't working, it just didn't no way to tell. No output... Also no auto intensity.

Next to phoenix, works great. I just wanted something a little more visual with some bling, but still not a GUIminer.

In comes CGminer, text based UI. Works like a charm (when you can get it installed correctly, unlike me...) Dynamic intensity, can change based on many factors, and can change clock speeds and fan speeds for target temps. Kills mining threads at maxtemp + hystersis.

Basically a phoenix miner that you only need to mess with once to get working for years. (many people I have seen have used CGminer for years with no hiccups)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: