Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:51:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Budget Mining Rig Request  (Read 4810 times)
Premium (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:41:09 AM

Hello everyone I am new to bit coin mining and I ordered a BFL single already but while that waits I want to get a rig that mines with GPU, make sure this will work with LTC also please

I just want the max mhash for the dollar won't be using this for multi purpose.

My budget for now is $300-$400

Please when you link the rig include every part I need to purchase and make sure all the parts are compatible.

THANK YOU Cheesy

Online DDoS Stress Testing Service https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521680.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mjester93

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 09:11:58 AM

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-build-a-budget-bitcoin-mining-rig
thepwnorbpwnd

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 09:17:16 AM

Low ass budget to get >250khash/s go ask the litecoin guys and they'll set you up. Everyone here is only interested in ASICs now.
Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:05:41 PM

Thanks for the first reply but it seems kind of outdated im sure there are more effective methods and to the 2nd post ive read you can get 280mhash for about $284 where the heck did you get the idea you can't get more than 250khash with my budget

All helped is appreciated!

Online DDoS Stress Testing Service https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521680.0
thepwnorbpwnd

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:35:27 PM

Thanks for the first reply but it seems kind of outdated im sure there are more effective methods and to the 2nd post ive read you can get 280mhash for about $284 where the heck did you get the idea you can't get more than 250khash with my budget

All helped is appreciated!

I'm just saying it's not all that worth it, just save an extra 200$ and make a rig worth while you won't have to worry or think twice as a choice.
NEO2012

Activity: 162

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 05:44:14 PM

Hello everyone I am new to bit coin mining and I ordered a BFL single already but while that waits I want to get a rig that mines with GPU, make sure this will work with LTC also please

I just want the max mhash for the dollar won't be using this for multi purpose.

My budget for now is $300-$400

Please when you link the rig include every part I need to purchase and make sure all the parts are compatible.

THANK YOU Cheesy

the gaming is geting at pro level now

sell ur bfl for 3k preorder while u can

and move on 

ur buget prohibits from participating alraedy

Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 09:30:25 PM

What do you mean I already paid for an asic and are gpus always compatible I have a nice desktop could I just put a nice gpu in there for gaming and just mine ltc or btw while I sleep?

vdragon

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 11:17:53 PM

Compatible? Its a pc m8, why wouldnt it be. Anyway what you need is, since youa re limited on budget

1. second hand graphics card, go for 2x 5850, they are available cheap these days, 70usd per piece is your target price
2. some cheap mobo with 2x pciex - look for intel b75 motherboards, tend to be chrep
3. 4 gb dd3 memory if you are doing ltc
3. lets say an intel g530 cpu
4. power supply - go for a 550w thermaltake, these tend to be cheap, or a 500w chieftec, will work to
5. second hand hard drive, any sata will do, dont pay more than 15 usd for it
--------------------------------------------------
here in europe this would cost about 280 euro, but in usa i guess around 330 usd

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 12:09:53 AM

Compatible? Its a pc m8, why wouldnt it be. Anyway what you need is, since youa re limited on budget

1. second hand graphics card, go for 2x 5850, they are available cheap these days, 70usd per piece is your target price
2. some cheap mobo with 2x pciex - look for intel b75 motherboards, tend to be chrep
3. 4 gb dd3 memory if you are doing ltc
3. lets say an intel g530 cpu
4. power supply - go for a 550w thermaltake, these tend to be cheap, or a 500w chieftec, will work to
5. second hand hard drive, any sata will do, dont pay more than 15 usd for it
--------------------------------------------------
here in europe this would cost about 280 euro, but in usa i guess around 330 usd

So I can buy any mobo as long as it has the 2 pciex and any 2 graphics cards and it will be compatible?

like will a cpu work on any mother board? How do you know how much power supply?

vdragon

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 12:15:47 AM

Yes, and yes as long it is a 5,6,7 series ati(amd) card. The cpu i mentioned will work only on scoket 1155 motherboards. And for power supply, I simply know, I got a 80 GHs mining farm of my own, so tried and measured them all Smiley

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 12:19:10 AM

Yes, and yes as long it is a 5,6,7 series ati(amd) card. The cpu i mentioned will work only on scoket 1155 motherboards. And for power supply, I simply know, I got a 80 GHs mining farm of my own, so tried and measured them all Smiley

How would I make both cards work at the same time someone said you need to have a dummy adapter or something.

Sorry if noob.

vdragon

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 12:23:27 AM

Very simple just plug them into the mobo, install windows, install drivers and voila, both are there. I think that since 12.6 drivers (not entirely sure on this), no more dummies are needed. Since you are new to this, you have to install Afterburner or Trixx (i prefer AB) to be able to overclock the card. Then take the latest guiminer, and voila thats all. Read up about these things on the forum, it has been explained numerous times.

Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:21:00 AM

Can you add me on skype please: EclipseHF

I would like to ask you about builds and please tell me if they would work

Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:09:12 AM

Still looking for people to post complete builds  Tongue

THANKS Cheesy

Flatlinezor

Activity: 84

Funny quote

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 12:09:31 PM

If after this You can not manage, you should stick to Black Ops imo.

Calm sea doesn't breed skilled sailors!
DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 12:29:42 PM

If after this You can not manage, you should stick to Black Ops imo.

Grin

vdragon

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 05:27:01 PM

Sorry, but do a little reading on the forum, this has been said over and over

Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:36:50 AM

Ok trolls, because I never built a computer before I should just play black ops?

Makes complete sense...

ryantc

Activity: 329

Bitcoin may be the TCP/IP of money.

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:00:55 AM

Still looking for people to post complete builds  Tongue

THANKS Cheesy

first thing first, do a profit calculation, all such calculators assuming constant difficulty level , but with the increasing difficulty in both btc and ltc a $400 rig won't have big hash power to compete, plus the electricity cost, you may end up mining at a lost for a long time.

Still feel worth the trouble, time and money? pls continue Smiley

Do you have some old PC left over, maybe a old intel 775 or amd 780 platform or even older as long as they have PCIe slots on them. (if yes, go to #3 or #4)

To my best knowledge, the mining business is like this (correct me if I'm wrong)

#1. it has nothing to do with cpu anymore, so use the cheapest cpu you can get. (the best is free, your old left overs Cheesy)

#2. mobo, find a mobo with as many pcie slots as possible, and PCIe slot doesn't matter, 1x, 8x, or 16x all work the same in terms of hash rate, (for 1x you need a 1x -> 16x riser cable to accommodate your video card)

#3. memory, mining BTC is not memory intensive, but LTC is (I can only start two 7950 with -g 2 parameter and 3G of system ram, 2G system ram for a 7850 to start, otherwise cgminer says GPU fail....blabla....)

#4. video cards, 5850s are around 100 on ebay,(never use a 5xxx but I guess each requires 2 6-pin power connector), you can also go for 7850 the game coupon comes with it has some resale value on ebay plus 7xxx is more "future proof"

#5. PSU, depends on how many video cards you want to run.

Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:21:36 AM

If I take a pic of my current computers hardware could you tell me if a GPU would work in there?

vdragon

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 11:36:57 PM

Dont take a picture just read me the model of the motherboard, and the model of power supply

thepwnorbpwnd

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:48:40 AM

Dont take a picture just read me the model of the motherboard, and the model of power supply

If someone isn't even skilled enough to know if a PCIe gpu will work in their computer you shouldn't even ask that...
Nemesis

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 01:49:48 PM

Its all 2011 again i see.

Price of btc invites all kind of ppl into.... quick rich scheme.

Just stick all the cards in, if it doesnt fit, cut the slot with dremel and make them fit. Do it a redneck way
vdragon

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 04:32:18 PM

Use hammer if possible Smiley

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 09:37:39 PM

Just stick all the cards in, if it doesnt fit, cut the slot with dremel and make them fit. Do it a redneck way
Which is sucky, cuz now is a horrible time to buy hardware.

GPUs aren't worth it.
FPGAs aren't worth it.
Avalon's are expensive, and in a limited supply.
BFL hasn't shipped yet, and has a massive backlog.

What's a newbie supposed to do?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
ryantc

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 10:03:28 PM

GPUs aren't worth it.
FPGAs aren't worth it.

GPUs are always better choice, at least it has some re-sale value or you can reconfigure your miner to a game machine (given you only investment 3-4 card to start)

for the rest dedicated mining machines, the worst scenario of a Tulip mania happened, those mining machines worth no more than a pile of junk. Cheesy

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 03:49:41 AM

GPUs aren't worth it.
FPGAs aren't worth it.

GPUs are always better choice, at least it has some re-sale value or you can reconfigure your miner to a game machine (given you only investment 3-4 card to start)

for the rest dedicated mining machines, the worst scenario of a Tulip mania happened, those mining machines worth no more than a pile of junk. Cheesy
Do you know how many 5970s and 7970s are gonna flood the market when ASICs do hit? And I mean really hit, not like this Avalon slowly-squeak-out-over-two-months shit.

Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 05:59:48 AM

Well I just want to put a nice GPU in my computer for gaming and whatever and then just mine when I am not gaming right?

So it servers as a dual purpose.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113197 is the computer I have

Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 04:27:00 PM

Ok trolls, because I never built a computer before I should just play black ops?

Makes complete sense...
No, but because you won't take the time to read, understand, and make some sort of effort on your own, means you should go back and play Black Ops. The best answer was already given. Sell your BFL preorder for like 2500-3000, invest in a rig for litecoin. the gpu bitcoin game is long gone. You're not going to mine jack squat with 300 bucks to invest.
Rawted

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 04:32:51 PM

Well I just want to put a nice GPU in my computer for gaming and whatever and then just mine when I am not gaming right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113197 is the computer I have
You would need to upgrade your PSU first. That PC is horrible for mining. Honestly, you'd probably save money by building an all new rig. Any respectable amd gpu rig is going to need more than 300w.
vdragon

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 05:47:46 PM

GPUs aren't worth it.
FPGAs aren't worth it.

Do you know how many 5970s and 7970s are gonna flood the market when ASICs do hit? And I mean really hit, not like this Avalon slowly-squeak-out-over-two-months shit.

I have been listening to "ASIC is coming, run for cover" since september 2012 ... In last 6 months I have bought almost 60x 7950, they all payed for themselves like 4X. When ASIC becomes mainstream, which wont be that fast, I can even give away the cards to neighbourhood kids.

So on that note, 1-2 cards, if its a gaming rig, wont hurt anyone

Rawted

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 05:54:08 PM

GPUs aren't worth it.
FPGAs aren't worth it.

I have been listening to "ASIC is coming, run for cover" since september 2012 ... In last 6 months I have bought almost 60x 7950, they all payed for themselves like 4X. When ASIC becomes mainstream, which wont be that fast, I can even give away the cards to neighbourhood kids.

So on that note, 1-2 cards, if its a gaming rig, wont hurt anyone
Did you invest actual fiat to buy those 60 cards, or convert early adoption BTC for them? There's a big difference.

There is no way to make a profit off BTC unless you get that many gpus going on a farm. For the average person, it's completely unfeasible to spend tens of thousands (or in your case 50k+) to get a return of a few hundred dollars a month. Combine that with the fact that more ASICs are coming out very fast, and i hope you can understand why people say it's not worth it.
vdragon

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 06:02:34 PM

I have been been more than 2 years in this mining bussines. I invested actual money, and saved the bitcoins, I run 80GHs at this moment, last 15GHs in a form of 30 Gigabyte 7950s were added about 20 days ago. Those were bought with btc money, rest 65GHs was bought over 2 years for actual money. The only mistake I made was because I have sold 15000btc@19 USD ... Altough the 3000 sold @47 made up for it... Currently making 20btc@day through litecoin. So as I said, 1-2 cards, bought cheaply comapred to what early adopters were paying, wont hurt anyone, especially if their primary use is gaming

Nemesis

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 08:42:23 PM

I have been been more than 2 years in this mining bussines. I invested actual money, and saved the bitcoins, I run 80GHs at this moment, last 15GHs in a form of 30 Gigabyte 7950s were added about 20 days ago. Those were bought with btc money, rest 65GHs was bought over 2 years for actual money. The only mistake I made was because I have sold 15000btc@19 USD ... Altough the 3000 sold @47 made up for it... Currently making 20btc@day through litecoin. So as I said, 1-2 cards, bought cheaply comapred to what early adopters were paying, wont hurt anyone, especially if their primary use is gaming

The problem with GPU farm isnt the ROI or the risk. You can resale the GPU and recoup 50% cost, the return is good now since price has be doubled.

The problem is scaling. Most ppl dont have a luxury of dedicated 100-200A and cooling for the farm.

The price WILL drop once ASICs flood out. That is certain as the cost of mining is greatly reduced.
Rawted

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:27:43 PM

Very interesting, thanks for the response. I'm amazed at your farm and success, congratulations!
ryantc

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 11:56:15 PM

vdragon, that's really an impressive farm you're running.

ryantc

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:03:54 AM

(2/3) PCI-E x1
(1/1) PCI-E x16

according to the spec on newegg, you can put one video card in a pcie 16 slot. the best you can get within your budget is a 7950.

if you want to convert your machine into a dedicated miner, you can put maximum 3 video cards, since one of your pcie x1 is occupied by some card already. 
Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:06:44 AM

So I can put a 7xxxx in there and put just plug it in and it will work?

Rawted

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:49:07 AM

No, you need to update your PSU before doing anything.
scifimike12

Activity: 303

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:42:57 AM

I'm pretty sure you could put a HD 7750 in there without any problems.  It runs off of the PCIe bus.
Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:55:18 AM

can you link me to a psu that would work for this computer and then also the best gpu that is under $400

power supply looking to spend as cheap as I can

ryantc

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:30:31 AM

can you link me to a psu that would work for this computer and then also the best gpu that is under $400

pls check if your PSU comes with any PCI-E 6-pin connector
if it comes with 1 6-pin connector, you can grab a 7850, it works on a 430w PSU and requires only one 6-pin connector
if it comes with 2 6-pin connectors, go for a 7950 (I doubt manufacturer will be that generous)

if non PCI-E found, here the CORSAIR 600w is on sale http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
that should be enought for a single card up to 7970

Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:56:12 AM

if it comes with 1 6-pin connector, you can grab a 7850, it works on a 430w PSU and requires only one 6-pin connector
if it comes with 2 6-pin connectors, go for a 7950 (I doubt manufacturer will be that generous)

if non PCI-E found, here the CORSAIR 600w is on sale http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

So is mine 430w PSU? and if my power supply has a 6 pin connector I don't have to buy a new PSU?

But if doesn't If I get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028 I would be able to get a 7950 or 7970?

ryantc

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:15:17 AM

So is mine 430w PSU? and if my power supply has a 6 pin connector I don't have to buy a new PSU?
Sorry, I have no idea what your PSU is, but if you can find a 6 pin connector on it, my best educated guess would be it >= 430

But if doesn't If I get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028 I would be able to get a 7950 or 7970?
yes, according to AMD website recommendation, a single card of 78xx or 79xx requires 500w PSU, so the linked 600w psu should be enough
Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:46:56 AM

So if I just buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150588

and change out power supply and connect all cords and plug in GPU you sure this will work with my computer?

Also for my VGA cable would I run it out of the normal slot or out of the new GPU slot.

What is the difference between all these GPUs they are all 7950

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709+600290139&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=48&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Which one should I get?

Thanks!

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 04:14:37 AM

So if I just ... change out power supply and connect all cords and plug in GPU you sure this will work with my computer?

Also for my VGA cable would I run it out of the normal slot or out of the new GPU slot.
Yes and yes.

They'll all run pretty much the same, and give you close to the same hashrates. I usually stay away from HIS, XFX, Diamond, and VisonTek. OTOH, MSI, Gigabyte, PowerColor, and Sapphire are all good brands.

Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 04:25:44 AM

So if I just ... change out power supply and connect all cords and plug in GPU you sure this will work with my computer?

Yes and yes.

They'll all run pretty much the same, and give you close to the same hashrates. I usually stay away from HIS, XFX, Diamond, and VisonTek. OTOH, MSI, Gigabyte, PowerColor, and Sapphire are all good brands.

I would just like to thank you for your help. The Gigabyte has 3 fans so I think that would be better, I am worried about the PSU is 600W enough for what I got and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414&Tpk=GIGABYTE%20GV-R795WF3-3GD ?

THANK YOU Cheesy

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 04:41:01 AM

The Gigabyte has 3 fans so I think that would be better, I am worried about the PSU is 600W enough for what I got and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414&Tpk=GIGABYTE%20GV-R795WF3-3GD ?
I have the Gigabyte 7970 with the same cooler, and it keeps the core at very nice temps. A 600W PSU is more than enough for a single GPU, so you're all set. I actually downgraded from my old 1000W to a 650W SeaSonic as it was more efficient.

Premium (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 06:11:05 AM

And that PSU will work with my hardware/mobo? as well as the GPU will work with my hardware/mobo?

ABOUT TO BUY IF YES Cheesy

THANKS FOR HELP

Nemesis

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:18:13 PM

OP will burn his damn computer when he put 2 or more cards in there.... lol
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: