Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:19:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Budget Mining Rig Request  (Read 4810 times)
vdragon

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 11:36:57 PM

Dont take a picture just read me the model of the motherboard, and the model of power supply

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
thepwnorbpwnd

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:48:40 AM

Dont take a picture just read me the model of the motherboard, and the model of power supply

If someone isn't even skilled enough to know if a PCIe gpu will work in their computer you shouldn't even ask that...
Nemesis

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 01:49:48 PM

Its all 2011 again i see.

Price of btc invites all kind of ppl into.... quick rich scheme.

Just stick all the cards in, if it doesnt fit, cut the slot with dremel and make them fit. Do it a redneck way
vdragon

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 04:32:18 PM

Use hammer if possible Smiley

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 09:37:39 PM

Just stick all the cards in, if it doesnt fit, cut the slot with dremel and make them fit. Do it a redneck way
Which is sucky, cuz now is a horrible time to buy hardware.

GPUs aren't worth it.
FPGAs aren't worth it.
Avalon's are expensive, and in a limited supply.
BFL hasn't shipped yet, and has a massive backlog.

What's a newbie supposed to do?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
ryantc

Activity: 329

Bitcoin may be the TCP/IP of money.

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 10:03:28 PM

GPUs aren't worth it.
FPGAs aren't worth it.

GPUs are always better choice, at least it has some re-sale value or you can reconfigure your miner to a game machine (given you only investment 3-4 card to start)

for the rest dedicated mining machines, the worst scenario of a Tulip mania happened, those mining machines worth no more than a pile of junk. Cheesy

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 03:49:41 AM

GPUs aren't worth it.
FPGAs aren't worth it.

GPUs are always better choice, at least it has some re-sale value or you can reconfigure your miner to a game machine (given you only investment 3-4 card to start)

for the rest dedicated mining machines, the worst scenario of a Tulip mania happened, those mining machines worth no more than a pile of junk. Cheesy
Do you know how many 5970s and 7970s are gonna flood the market when ASICs do hit? And I mean really hit, not like this Avalon slowly-squeak-out-over-two-months shit.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Premium (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 05:59:48 AM

Well I just want to put a nice GPU in my computer for gaming and whatever and then just mine when I am not gaming right?

So it servers as a dual purpose.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113197 is the computer I have

Online DDoS Stress Testing Service https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521680.0
Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 04:27:00 PM

Ok trolls, because I never built a computer before I should just play black ops?

Makes complete sense...
No, but because you won't take the time to read, understand, and make some sort of effort on your own, means you should go back and play Black Ops. The best answer was already given. Sell your BFL preorder for like 2500-3000, invest in a rig for litecoin. the gpu bitcoin game is long gone. You're not going to mine jack squat with 300 bucks to invest.
Rawted

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 04:32:51 PM

Well I just want to put a nice GPU in my computer for gaming and whatever and then just mine when I am not gaming right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113197 is the computer I have
You would need to upgrade your PSU first. That PC is horrible for mining. Honestly, you'd probably save money by building an all new rig. Any respectable amd gpu rig is going to need more than 300w.
vdragon

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 05:47:46 PM

GPUs aren't worth it.
FPGAs aren't worth it.

Do you know how many 5970s and 7970s are gonna flood the market when ASICs do hit? And I mean really hit, not like this Avalon slowly-squeak-out-over-two-months shit.

I have been listening to "ASIC is coming, run for cover" since september 2012 ... In last 6 months I have bought almost 60x 7950, they all payed for themselves like 4X. When ASIC becomes mainstream, which wont be that fast, I can even give away the cards to neighbourhood kids.

So on that note, 1-2 cards, if its a gaming rig, wont hurt anyone

Rawted

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 05:54:08 PM

GPUs aren't worth it.
FPGAs aren't worth it.

I have been listening to "ASIC is coming, run for cover" since september 2012 ... In last 6 months I have bought almost 60x 7950, they all payed for themselves like 4X. When ASIC becomes mainstream, which wont be that fast, I can even give away the cards to neighbourhood kids.

So on that note, 1-2 cards, if its a gaming rig, wont hurt anyone
Did you invest actual fiat to buy those 60 cards, or convert early adoption BTC for them? There's a big difference.

There is no way to make a profit off BTC unless you get that many gpus going on a farm. For the average person, it's completely unfeasible to spend tens of thousands (or in your case 50k+) to get a return of a few hundred dollars a month. Combine that with the fact that more ASICs are coming out very fast, and i hope you can understand why people say it's not worth it.
vdragon

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 06:02:34 PM

I have been been more than 2 years in this mining bussines. I invested actual money, and saved the bitcoins, I run 80GHs at this moment, last 15GHs in a form of 30 Gigabyte 7950s were added about 20 days ago. Those were bought with btc money, rest 65GHs was bought over 2 years for actual money. The only mistake I made was because I have sold 15000btc@19 USD ... Altough the 3000 sold @47 made up for it... Currently making 20btc@day through litecoin. So as I said, 1-2 cards, bought cheaply comapred to what early adopters were paying, wont hurt anyone, especially if their primary use is gaming

Nemesis

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 08:42:23 PM

I have been been more than 2 years in this mining bussines. I invested actual money, and saved the bitcoins, I run 80GHs at this moment, last 15GHs in a form of 30 Gigabyte 7950s were added about 20 days ago. Those were bought with btc money, rest 65GHs was bought over 2 years for actual money. The only mistake I made was because I have sold 15000btc@19 USD ... Altough the 3000 sold @47 made up for it... Currently making 20btc@day through litecoin. So as I said, 1-2 cards, bought cheaply comapred to what early adopters were paying, wont hurt anyone, especially if their primary use is gaming

The problem with GPU farm isnt the ROI or the risk. You can resale the GPU and recoup 50% cost, the return is good now since price has be doubled.

The problem is scaling. Most ppl dont have a luxury of dedicated 100-200A and cooling for the farm.

The price WILL drop once ASICs flood out. That is certain as the cost of mining is greatly reduced.
Rawted

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:27:43 PM

Very interesting, thanks for the response. I'm amazed at your farm and success, congratulations!
ryantc

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 11:56:15 PM

vdragon, that's really an impressive farm you're running.

ryantc

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:03:54 AM

(2/3) PCI-E x1
(1/1) PCI-E x16

according to the spec on newegg, you can put one video card in a pcie 16 slot. the best you can get within your budget is a 7950.

if you want to convert your machine into a dedicated miner, you can put maximum 3 video cards, since one of your pcie x1 is occupied by some card already. 
Premium (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:06:44 AM

So I can put a 7xxxx in there and put just plug it in and it will work?

Online DDoS Stress Testing Service https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521680.0
Rawted

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:49:07 AM

So I can put a 7xxxx in there and put just plug it in and it will work?
No, you need to update your PSU before doing anything.
scifimike12

Activity: 303

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:42:57 AM

I'm pretty sure you could put a HD 7750 in there without any problems.  It runs off of the PCIe bus.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: