Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 07:40:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people think one Bitcoin will be worth $1000 (or more)  (Read 15336 times)
Radacoin (OP)

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:48:01 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2013, 03:48:06 PM by Radacoin

Who controls the address: 1KanoiBupPiZfkwqB7rfLXAzPnoTshAVmb ? Might it be him https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=36044 ?

Or 1MagedVeZqDtU4Jh5BdgvHpcWk9dXFzZY8 ?  Might it be https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=6347 ?

Or a user named hugolp with this signature "Tips: 1Q4pxzZHnXCfVpWig6Q6YgpdN7AkpPNRjA". Might it be that hugolp controls 1Q4pxzZHnXCfVpWig6Q6YgpdN7AkpPNRjA ?

Grin Grin Grin
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:49:54 PM

Who controls the address: 1KanoiBupPiZfkwqB7rfLXAzPnoTshAVmb ? Might it be him https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=36044 ?

Or 1MagedVeZqDtU4Jh5BdgvHpcWk9dXFzZY8 ?  Might it be https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=6347 ?

Grin Grin Grin

ROFL
codro

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:59:21 PM

Why do people assign value to things? Because of the properties of those things.

What are Bitcoin's properties?

-highly divisible
-finite

Note that just from a technical point of view, in the protocol, Bitcoin amounts are expressed as an integer number of satoshis.

Should there be a need to add extra digits of "precision" in the future this would essentially be the same as multiplying the monetary supply by 10 for each extra digit of precision. One could argue against the "finite" argument in this case.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:38:43 PM

Why do people assign value to things? Because of the properties of those things.

What are Bitcoin's properties?

-highly divisible
-finite

Note that just from a technical point of view, in the protocol, Bitcoin amounts are expressed as an integer number of satoshis.

Should there be a need to add extra digits of "precision" in the future this would essentially be the same as multiplying the monetary supply by 10 for each extra digit of precision. One could argue against the "finite" argument in this case.

Reality even worse. I believe bitcoiners won't come to a consensus if and how many digits should be added.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:46:10 PM

But on the other hand no one measures the value of a 100 Dollar note with the paper and the ink that it's composed of. A 100 Dollar note has it's "value" because it's accepted everywhere and I can get "stuff" for it.

That is the real question here: Why do people exchange their stuffs for a 100 Dollar note, which is just some numbers added by FED at will without doing anything? How long do you think this game is going to last?

Radacoin (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:51:18 PM

How long do you think this game is going to last?

As long as everyone of us is happy to have some of those (100$ notes).

As long as our bosses give us a couple of those at the end of the month.

As long as we can buy booze and hookers with it.

All of those we can't with Bitcoins.

Therefore: All we do with Bitcoins is go to MtGox and change into $$$ to do the above.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:56:14 PM

Therefore: All we do with Bitcoins is go to MtGox and change into $$$ to do the above.

*plonk*

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:00:25 PM

you cant do any of the above with paypal either, and so all we do is transfer from your paypal account to your bank and vice versa. Does that mean paypal is pointless and worthless?
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:06:47 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2013, 05:21:35 PM by johnyj

I agree, if bitcoin will only be used to buy booze and hookers, then its price won't rise above $1000  Grin

Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 05:03:36 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2013, 05:22:43 PM by Peter Lambert

Let me correct this for you:

Btc has value because it fulfills could fulfill needs ...like transfer big amounts off money across the world almost instantly in a private way...

It's just - no ones does it. Hence: Zero value.

Just because you don't know about it does not mean it is not happening. (Sorry for all the negatives, that is just how the thought goes) The nature of bitcoin is such that you simply cannot see what it is being used for, and unless somebody comes forward with examples you will never know how much money is being transferred around the world using bitcoins. If you look closely through the forum you will see examples of people moving large sums of money around the world, like I said, Just because you don't know about it does not mean it is not happening.

I agree, if bitcoin will be used to buy booze and hookers, then its price won't rise about $1000  Grin

I had offered in the past to sell homebrewed mead for bitcoins, and at some point I want to build myself a still to make harder stuff (although I have been told my mead is pretty stiff). Let me know if you are interested.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 05:22:00 PM

Btc has value because it fulfills could fulfill is already fulfilling needs ...like transfer big amounts off money across the world almost instantly in a private way...

Yeah also explain to me why someone pays 30 million dollar on an Rembrandt painting

Exact same thing as for tulips and Bitcoins: Pure speculation, zero value.

Yeah, well, i'm a gonna pee over this one again..
FTFY!

Or else please define what you think 'Value' means in this context.
Timon2010

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

The value of Bitcoin is what you can do with it.
The value of Bitcoin is NOT how much is worth in $.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:13:27 PM

I am at Olivia Plaza Hotel, Barcelona, Spain at the moment.
I have 12BTC in a wallet on my smartphone.

Why do you even own bitcoin?  Seriously just sell them if you feel they are next to worthless, and stop clogging bitcointalk with your idiotic arguments.  Angry

He brought up the tulips, it pisses me off every time.   Wink

Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 02:05:06 AM

I am at Olivia Plaza Hotel, Barcelona, Spain at the moment.
I have 12BTC in a wallet on my smartphone.

Why do you even own bitcoin?  Seriously just sell them if you feel they are next to worthless, and stop clogging bitcointalk with your idiotic arguments.  Angry

He brought up the tulips, it pisses me off every time.   Wink

They think bringing up the tulips argument make them look smarter.

As it turns out , it only show their lack of knowledge.

I wouldnt be pissed man, the idiot dig himself deeper.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 02:20:44 AM

Btc has value because it fulfills could fulfill needs ...like transfer big amounts off money across the world almost instantly in a private way...

Why do you think noone uses bitcoin to transfer large amounts of money across the world?  People actually do this.  They also use it to buy stuff off of Amazon and to buy pizza.

redwraith

Activity: 188
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:51:51 AM

You're really talking about convenience right?  Right now it is more convenient to do those things with dollars, that's true.  But, I trust you are aware that the US dollar has been around for a couple HUNDRED YEARS right?  It's kind of established?  It's completely unfair to compare a fledgling 4 year old digital currency to a major one and expect it to immediately have the same utility and convenience.  The junkyard of history is littered with detractors of new technologies and innovations, where given enough time, they turn out to be tomorrow's mainstream.  
nsfsj

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 12:02:49 PM

Nothing has a value by it self. Supply and demand controls the value. If enough people believe something is valuable, it is. At the moment, the demand for Bitcoin seems to be mostly speculative and store of value, but the reason for demand does not make it less valuable.
Radacoin (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 01:26:23 PM

Are you here for honest discussion or to troll?

Have you ever asked yourself this question?
Radacoin (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 01:29:29 PM

Nothing has a value by it self. Supply and demand controls the value. If enough people believe something is valuable, it is. At the moment, the demand for Bitcoin seems to be mostly speculative and store of value, but the reason for demand does not make it less valuable.

Wise words. They apply for Bitcoins. And for tulips.

At least the tulip madness did not turn into a religion. Reading some of the comments here one might think Bitcoin is already a religion.
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:08:33 PM

Wise words. They apply for Bitcoins. And for tulips.

At least the tulip madness did not turn into a religion. Reading some of the comments here one might think Bitcoin is already a religion.

You keep refering to bitcoin as another tulip mania.
But you haven't put forwared a single good argument to support that.

Please answer what i asked in my last post: define the word 'value' in this context.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: