Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 05:58:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remaining Annonymous  (Read 667 times)
The_Sinister (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 09:16:48 AM

Hi, I have a couple of questions in regards to Bitcoin privacy.

1.  Does the bitcoin wallet address change after each transaction?  If they do, can others see all my bitcoin addresses?
2.  What is the best way to remain anonymous?  I was thinking of having one wallet for buying and another wallet for selling (as in one wallet will be used for deposits, and when i want to sell, I transfer it to the selling wallet and sell from that wallet).  After both accounts are empty, I would abandon them and get a completely new wallet for each buying and selling.

Thanks all!  Wink
The_Sinister (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 09:28:08 AM

47 views and no responses?  Embarrassed  Help a noob out!
escap0x

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 09:39:03 AM

Your Bitcoin wallet address does not change with each transaction. It will remain the same.

Sending Bitcoins from one of your addresses to an other is generally a good idea if you want to stay anonymous. Even if one address is linked to some other information about you (e. g. bank account) you can still remain anonymous by sending the Bitcoins to an anonymous address which belongs to you.
hromobiti

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 09:43:00 AM

Instawallet.org is good way to stay bit anonymous. They mixing coins nicely most of the time and it is free.
The_Sinister (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 09:50:28 AM

Instawallet.org is good way to stay bit anonymous. They mixing coins nicely most of the time and it is free.

Wow thanks for the link!  One question: Once I bookmark the page, how does the site prevent another visitor from getting the same page?  Is this site trustworthy (does what it says it does with no strings attached)?
hromobiti

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 10:02:51 AM

Wow thanks for the link!  One question: Once I bookmark the page, how does the site prevent another visitor from getting the same page?  Is this site trustworthy (does what it says it does with no strings attached)?

the next visitor would need the exact random string, not likely by a chance

It is mixing but if you need to be 100% untracable you need do more sophisticated things

lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3670
Merit: 1486

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 10:03:02 AM

1. It's your choice, you can change the address for each transaction, or always use to same (to receive coins of course, when sending the client automagically creates some new addresses anyway). No, others can't see all your addresses.
2. Having 2 different wallets doesn't solve your problem.
If I know that you own A, I can see that you moved all balance from A to B, so I can guess that B also belongs to you. Then I only track B instead of A and you are right where you started.

To stay truely anonymous only connect to the network thru TOR, change the address for each transaction and use some mixing-service.
Combining all that, split and merge transactions a lot and you should be fine.
bitjoint

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 10:41:49 AM

To stay truely anonymous only connect to the network thru TOR, change the address for each transaction and use some mixing-service.
Combining all that, split and merge transactions a lot and you should be fine.

Been thinking about this, but ended up operating normally... as long as bitcoin it's not illegal what is the point?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4681

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:36:32 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2013, 11:14:24 PM by DannyHamilton

Before I can answer your question, I'd need to know which wallet you are using for ending and receiving bitcoins.  There are several popular ones (MultiBit, Electrum, Bitcoin-Qt, Armory, blockchain.info, MtGox, Coinbase, BitFloor, BitMe, InstaWallet, etc.) and they each operate differently. Of those on the list I've provided, the only ones I'd trust to store more than a few dollars of bitcoin are MultiBit, Electrum, Bitcoin-Qt, Armory, and blockchain.info.

EDIT: As of 2013-04-17 BitFloor has ceased all operations.
titus

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:03:19 PM

Been thinking about this, but ended up operating normally... as long as bitcoin it's not illegal what is the point?

If it becomes illegal in the future, or just attracts attention from govenments, they can review every transaction that has ever occurred.
BitBlend

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 02:19:54 PM

I have created a new bitcoin site (currently in beta) called BitBlend. It's your ordinary bitcoin mixer (concealing the source and destination of a transaction) with some awesome unique features.

https://bitblend.io
koob

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:27:50 PM

Nice site, gl with it.
BitBlend

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 04:17:55 PM

Thank you. I have lots of ideas for it.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:31:10 PM

I have created a new bitcoin site (currently in beta) called BitBlend. It's your ordinary bitcoin mixer (concealing the source and destination of a transaction) with some awesome unique features.

Will you be releasing the source code so people can verify/validate the coin mixing algorithm and the security of the website?

I didn't see any indication of what the fees are?

You should probably at least do a simple and basic validation of the bitcoin addresses that users enter.  This would be why a bitcoin address has a checksum built in to it.  That way you won't accept mistyped addresses (I tried 1InvalidAddressTest, and it seemed to think that was a valid address that it could forward to).
BitBlend

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 04:33:16 PM

Will you be releasing the source code so people can verify/validate the coin mixing algorithm and the security of the website?

I didn't see any indication of what the fees are?

You should probably at least do a simple and basic validation of the bitcoin addresses that users enter.  This would be why a bitcoin address has a checksum built in to it.  That way you won't accept mistyped addresses (I tried 1InvalidAddressTest, and it seemed to think that was a valid address that it could forward to).

No, I will not be releasing the source code. And I am constantly improving the algorithm. Sorry.

The fee is random (currently between 0.5% and 4%). I will include all of this in the "about" page once I get around to writing it.

And there is already address validation for everything. Thanks. Smiley

EDIT: You're right. There's a problem with the address validation. I'll fix that now, sorry.

Double edit: Fixed. It was an error with my error handling.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:49:02 PM

- snip -
EDIT: You're right. There's a problem with the address validation. I'll fix that now, sorry.

Double edit: Fixed. It was an error with my error handling.

That seems to work better.

- snip -
No, I will not be releasing the source code. And I am constantly improving the algorithm. Sorry.
- snip -

Then I won't be using your service.  Sorry.

There are just too many poorly handled mixing services.  If your algorithm can't be reviewed by experts, then I can't trust that you're doing it right.  If I'm engaging in a transaction where anonymity is important, then I certainly can't risk using a mixing service that might have a weakness in their mixing algorithm.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: