Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:20:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please, stop having children. (Discussion about overpopulation)  (Read 10733 times)
WilliamJohnson (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 11:49:17 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 11:10:06 AM by Stormtrooper42

As an inhabitant of the Earth, I hereby ask my fellow Humans of the Earth to consider stopping having kids.

Here's why:

1. The world population keeps growing
1950: 2.5 billion people
2011: 7 billion people
And it's not going to stop (the world population is estimated to reach 9 billion by 2050)

2. We are already too many
A non-negligible portion of the world population lacks access to adequate housing, basic sanitation, or even food and clean water.
How about improving the condition of existing humans, before thinking about creating new ones (who will consume resources)?

Not to mention our impact on the environment (global warming, pollution, extinguished species, shrinking forests...)

Here's a pretty informative image:
http://www.upack.com/images/info/population600.jpg

Now, even if you don't think there are too many of us, you can probably agree that there are enough of us.

3. Having 2 kids is too much right now
In the long term, if every couple has 2 children, there will be no population growth.
However in the short term (next few decades), due to population momentum, and increasing life expectancy, having 2 kids (or even 1) is going to increase the population size.
For example, China has a fertility rate of 1.5, but isn't expected to reach zero population growth before 2030.

Also, remember that raising kids:
- is expensive
- will eat up most of your free time
- will increase your impact on the environment.

So, please:
- use contraception
- if you really want to raise a child, consider adopting one.

See also:
- The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement (very rational).
- The Church of Euthanasia (Sense of humor required)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 11:51:26 AM

down with the catholic church! >.>

ZOMG Moo!
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 11:57:48 AM

And it's not going to stop (the world population is estimated to reach 9 billion by 2050)

Yes it is, because people DO use contraception.  The current increase is basically only due to demographic inertia.

Population increases not because of to many newborn children, but rather because of not enough old people dying.  Decreasing fertiliy even more would barely solve any problem, and bring others (putting humanity on the brink of extinction)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_decline

Grant

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 12:10:16 PM

As an inhabitant of the Earth, I hereby ask my fellow Humans of the Earth to consider stopping having kids.

I guess you wouldn't be saying "please stop having children" to Satoshi's parents, now would you ?

Low fertility rate is precisely what has led western civilization to its current state of ENOURMOUS unfunded future liabilities (the older folks, who the working class will not be able to fund).

Moderately high fertility leads to technological advancements, sadly for the past few centuries our technological focus has been to maximize profit even at the expense of health and enviroment, i think we are at a point where ppl will have some more respect for enviroment.

I believe people should have more children, not less. If you believe that the planet can't handle more people, do the planet a favour: kill yourself.
bittersweet

Activity: 222

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 12:25:04 PM

I shouldn't have kids, because people in Africa procreate too fast? Roll Eyes

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
AllYourBase

Activity: 138

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 02:49:44 PM

The lower the general fertility rate, the longer it'll be before I can live in a city on Mars...boooo!!
WilliamJohnson (OP)

Activity: 47

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 02:56:53 PM

I guess you wouldn't be saying "please stop having children" to Satoshi's parents, now would you ?
Of course, I would. Especially considering Satoshi is already born.

If you believe that the planet can't handle more people, do the planet a favour: kill yourself.
That wouldn't be very efficient.
By killing myself right now, it would remove only 1 individual from the Earth population (and I would be quickly replaced by dozens of newborns in the following seconds).
By helping a few people realize that breeding like rabbits isn't sustainable, I might help them to avoid adding several individuals to the world population.

Also, check out what the VHEMT has to say about suicide: http://www.vhemt.org/death.htm#killself
DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with the VHEMT, and I don't think we should go as far as letting our species die. I'd rather see Humanity achieve sustainability. Either way, we have to stop increasing our population size.
Findeton

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:00:07 PM

Don't worry, this century we'll reach a point where total human population will start to decrease.

Bitcoin Weekly, bitcoin analysis and commentary

14DD7MhRXuw3KDuyUuXvAsRcK4KXTT36XA
bittersweet

Activity: 222

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:02:43 PM

In the long run life on Earth isn't sustainable anyway, with humans or not.

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
Nesetalis

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:09:54 PM

try surviving while the sun is rapidly boiling off the oceans in a few billion years :O

ZOMG Moo!
Basiley

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:49:33 PM

everyone should have at least 2 children
probably good reason to kill them All ... with Fire !!!! mwhahahaha !![Evil laugh]
and have kids then -)
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:52:27 PM

I suggest that the OP should commit suicide if he does like human existence.
Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 04:17:36 PM

Market forces ought to care for all of us as long as there aren't power-hungry fools in the way, trying to manage it all.

In addition, the more people there are, the more Bitcoin users and more money in my pocket. I'm all for more people when it comes to my selfish desires, hahaha.
Karmicads

Activity: 185
Merit: 112

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 04:18:15 PM

down with the catholic church! >.>

+1  Wink

But... Every Sperm Is Sacred.

Karmicads

Activity: 185
Merit: 112

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:00:24 PM

No. You should have fewer kids because everybody procreates too fast. African people should do the same. Did the OP exclude Africans from the plea? Why do you think you are the only one being addressed? For some people It's always, 'what's in it for me or why should I do it' instead of the benefit of the whole human race. The environment doesn't know about man made geographical boundaries or national politics. Two wrongs don't make a right. Nor do two problems make a solution. Think globally; act locally. Africans aren't typically the ones driving SUV's to the shop for a carton of milk anyhow.

I agree whole heartedly with the OP. Although I wouldn't want the human race to go extinct to save the 'bristle nosed pig weasel', we have to plan for sustainable population and uncontrolled population growth is no more sustainable, than uncontrolled printing and lending of money. And there's no point arguing about how the working class can support an aging population either; you can't dig yourself out of a hole. Stability in some systems, is a zero sum game. Eventually somebody has to pay the piper.
Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 05:02:26 PM

It's always, 'what's in it for me or why should I do it' instead of the benefit of the whole human race.

If you love humanity so much, save it yourself. You can't force anyone into this game.
Nesetalis

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:06:45 PM

also, it saddens me to think about it this way, but africa isnt going to have much of a population problem if we don't find a cure for aids soon. It is an epidemic so vast and painful...

more aptly it is india and china which have the major overpopulation problems, as well as mexico.

Also for some of the folks, overpopulation isnt a judgement of person per land, its person per resource. In america the resource isnt land, but food, shelter, water and electricity.

America has overpopulation in the sense that we have far too many folks below the poverty line. Our society and economy cannot give them room to grow and survive comfortably.

So yes, stop having children, or increase the infrastructure enough to support all of these kids. But instead we have people wanting to have more kids and cut back on spending to support them. Killing our schools, for instance, is the worst possible thing america can do right now, and in almost every single state, it is being done.

ZOMG Moo!
Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 05:13:17 PM

also, it saddens me to think about it this way, but africa isnt going to have much of a population problem if we don't find a cure for aids soon. It is an epidemic so vast and painful...
Welcome to natural selection. It's not like that continent was salvegeable anyways. We will see less suffering if they all die rather than continuing to put tribes on painful life support.

Also for some of the folks, overpopulation isnt a judgement of person per land, its person per resource. In america the resource isnt land, but food, shelter, water and electricity.
That's when we see problems: when resources are viewed as something that can be rationed by some benevolent king.

America has overpopulation in the sense that we have far too many folks below the poverty line. Our society and economy cannot give them room to grow and survive comfortably.
Yep, these people need to have iPhone 4s and a Lexus to be comfortable. It's a completely intangible goal. Also, believe it or not, the world's 'impoverished' are the happiest. Both of my parents were part of this 'poverty-stricken' group. The whole thing is a crock of shit.

So yes, stop having children, or increase the infrastructure enough to support all of these kids. But instead we have people wanting to have more kids and cut back on spending to support them. Killing our schools, for instance, is the worst possible thing america can do right now, and in almost every single state, it is being done.

Nah, these funding cuts are actually superb. They give the public sector a boost of efficiency it so lacking. I've seen first-hand the worthless jobs these school's are getting rid of (mother is a teacher). Gifted-and-Talented coordinator? Psh, you mean that lady that hands a more rigorous set of busy-work everyday? Yeah, she was such a godsend for our children. It's not a matter of life-and-death. It's petty whims and desires.
Maxxx

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:16:50 PM

Yep, these people need to have iPhone 4s ...

Pretty sure I see this a lot. At least the welfare cases. With the money they save from having all of their needs provided for or at steep discount, they can get iPhones. Just sayin.

Time is money. This means that if you have spare time, you can use it to make money.

Modular, open, and stack-able miner case.
bitcredit

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:29:39 PM

This.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: