Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:09:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transfer bitcoin address from bitcoin core to electrum  (Read 4492 times)
Testing2521995 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 08:19:34 PM

Hi forum,
I know this question has been asked numerous times Tongue.
But I want an answer to something very clearly since reading all the other answers did not give me a clear understanding Undecided

How do i transfer the bitcoin address i got from bitcoin core to electrum Huh

Now let me filter out things I do know so that you guys can answer me with the least effort

1) I know that we have a private key and a public address
2) We can only view the account on electrum if we start a new recovery wallet and enter "public address"
3) I know if we sweep using wallet-->sweep  then we can collect all the bitcoins from that address
4) I don't know what will happen if I enter the private key in the new recovery wallet..... will it transfer all my bit coins and give them new address???

My basic problem is that i cannot change my bitcoin address in one of the faucets I created that address in bitcoin core and it still hasn't synced

I want to migrate/move from bitcoin core to electrum without changing my address

Also this answer from the wiki/forums

"Import the address into the electrum and keep a backup so that if they send bitcoins into your old address you can transfer them"
No no no plz... the whole point of my question is how do i AVOID  Sad the above statement... i dont want to keep a backup....  Grin

If i do have to keep a backup.... what do I use to just enter the public address then the private key and add it to a common place/wallet...

or at the very least Cry

Enter the address and the privkey and gain access to my bitcoin address so that i can transfer coins.

I've tried xapo , block.io... i feel uncomfortable with omniwallet.org

please suggest a new wallet if electrum cannot provide what i need

Sorry for the long post
have a potato

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6587

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2016, 08:28:01 PM

What you want to do is import the private key to Electrum.

To do so, first export it from Bitcoin Core by going to Help > Debug Window > Console. In the textbox at the bottom, type
Code:
dumpprivkey <address>
where <address> is the Bitcoin address that you want the private key of. The output of that command should be in black text at begin with 5, K, or L. If it does, then the export was successful and you now have the private key. DO NOT SHARE THE PRIVATE KEY WITH ANYONE. Do this for all of your private keys and record them in a secure place.

Then go to Electrum. Create a new wallet from File > New/Restore. Name it and then choose the option to "Restore a wallet or import keys". Click Next and in the large text box in the next window, enter your private keys, one on each line. Then follow the remainder of the wizard to import the private keys to a new wallet.

Jhanzo

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

Thank satoshi

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 08:30:25 PM

The only way to import your address to Electrum is by creating a new wallet and choose "Restore a wallet or import keys.".

Wallet created this way will not generate any change addresses.  It also doesn't have a seed phrase so if you ever lose access to it you can only restore the wallet using a backed up wallet file (which apparently you're unwilling to do) or by importing the private keys again.

Trusted an exchange that climbed to the top 3 in just under 2 years with your money? you are fucking stupid.
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 08:30:35 PM

Hi forum,
But I want an answer to something very clearly since reading all the other answers did not give me a clear understanding Undecided

Now let me filter out things I do know so that you guys can answer me with the least effort

2) We can only view the account on electrum if we start a new recovery wallet and enter "public address"
3) I know if we sweep using wallet-->sweep  then we can collect all the bitcoins from that address
4) I don't know what will happen if I enter the private key in the new recovery wallet..... will it transfer all my bit coins and give them new address???

1. Yes, you are correct. Each private key is associated with one address.
2. You can simply import a private key into Electrum. Use Wallet->Private Keys->Import to import to an existing wallet, or File > New/Restore > Restore a wallet or import keys if you want to make a NEW electrum wallet.
3. If you sweep a private key, that means that you move the current balance from that key's address to a different address you control.
4. If you sweep, yes. If you import, then you will simply have access to the coins on that address, including any future deposits. If you know that your private key is not compromised then importing it will be OK (the current balance and future received BTC will be accessible by both Bitcoin Core and Electrum). If you sweep, then you will only transfer the current balance. I advise importing given what you tell us about your situation.

Remember to back up the wallet! You won't be able to restore access to your coins if you lose that wallet and are unable to get the private key again from bitcoin-qt.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2016, 09:59:20 PM

One thing worth mentionned is that if you import your private key to electrum, the funds on that address won't be recoverable with Electrum's seed.
It's one of the reasons why sweeping might be a better idea.
Testing2521995 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 10:23:55 PM

What you want to do is import the private key to Electrum.

To do so, first export it from Bitcoin Core by going to Help > Debug Window > Console. In the textbox at the bottom, type
Code:
dumpprivkey <address>
where <address> is the Bitcoin address that you want the private key of. The output of that command should be in black text at begin with 5, K, or L. If it does, then the export was successful and you now have the private key. DO NOT SHARE THE PRIVATE KEY WITH ANYONE. Do this for all of your private keys and record them in a secure place.

Then go to Electrum. Create a new wallet from File > New/Restore. Name it and then choose the option to "Restore a wallet or import keys". Click Next and in the large text box in the next window, enter your private keys, one on each line. Then follow the remainder of the wizard to import the private keys to a new wallet.

thank you for the code

The only way to import your address to Electrum is by creating a new wallet and choose "Restore a wallet or import keys.".

Wallet created this way will not generate any change addresses.  It also doesn't have a seed phrase so if you ever lose access to it you can only restore the wallet using a backed up wallet file (which apparently you're unwilling to do) or by importing the private keys again.

thanks for the straight forward answer.... also i haven't worked much with .dat files so i'm scared.. but backing up the wallet seems the way to go

Hi forum,

2. You can simply import a private key into Electrum. Use Wallet->Private Keys->Import to import to an existing wallet, or File > New/Restore > Restore a wallet or import keys if you want to make a NEW electrum wallet.
3. If you sweep a private key, that means that you move the current balance from that key's address to a different address you control.
4. If you sweep, yes. If you import, then you will simply have access to the coins on that address, including any future deposits. If you know that your private key is not compromised then importing it will be OK (the current balance and future received BTC will be accessible by both Bitcoin Core and Electrum). If you sweep, then you will only transfer the current balance. I advise importing given what you tell us about your situation.

Remember to back up the wallet! You won't be able to restore access to your coins if you lose that wallet and are unable to get the private key again from bitcoin-qt.

thanks for the detailed answer... didn't know we could import into existing wallets

One thing worth mentionned is that if you import your private key to electrum, the funds on that address won't be recoverable with Electrum's seed.
It's one of the reasons why sweeping might be a better idea.

ya i didn't get this one... now i know many people are saying the same thing so i trust u
but im problem is i'm registered by a bitcoin address on a faucet and i can't change it.

oh.... so if i switch loptops or computers or im forced to format.... i would have to make that wallet again... okay.. so i should just sweep it all into a new wallet
thnks

im off to try all these new solutions
Testing2521995 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 11:35:21 PM

Hi forum,

Um
There is no Import option in wallet->private keys
So new wallet it is
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 12:18:47 AM

oh.... so if i switch loptops or computers or im forced to format.... i would have to make that wallet again... okay.. so i should just sweep it all into a new wallet
thnks

Not really. Either way, whether you sweep or you import, you'll need the private key to be backed up to not lose your coins. If you import, you should back up either the private key itself or the Electrum wallet file. If you sweep, you'll need to back up the electrum wallet file. Either way, both require a backup to prevent loss.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 01:39:08 AM

thnks

Not really. Either way, whether you sweep or you import, you'll need the private key to be backed up to not lose your coins. If you import, you should back up either the private key itself or the Electrum wallet file. If you sweep, you'll need to back up the electrum wallet file. Either way, both require a backup to prevent loss.

I would run virus scan's and malware scans before doing anything.  Also treat this private key like gold, as it allows anyone with it to access your bitcoins.  So say computer is compromised when you copy/paste or screen is being captured by malware ... you could lose it all.  I highly suggest after you get it moved over making a paper wallet with it and store off of a computer.  Maybe even a USB drive that is offline. 

Have multiple copies and store safely.   Depending on where you live you can get a safty deposit box at a bank that easily stores a piece of paper and usb stick for pretty cheap yearly. 
Testing2521995 (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 01:54:42 PM

copy/paste... screen capture malwares
This is beginning to sound a lot like those movies.........  Tongue

Jokes aside
How do i make a paper wallet offline.... since you guys have effectively scared me off the internet
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6587

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2016, 02:07:07 PM

copy/paste... screen capture malwares
This is beginning to sound a lot like those movies.........  Tongue

Jokes aside
How do i make a paper wallet offline.... since you guys have effectively scared me off the internet
Download the code for bitaddress.org from https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org. Take that to an offline machine and open up the bitaddress.org.html page. It will be just like the website and you can create a paper wallet from there.

Testing2521995 (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 03:52:47 PM

thank you
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: