Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:47:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [FPU] FPUCoin - Distributed Computing for FPU demanding Applications  (Read 3404 times)
Drewdy (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 10:47:13 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 01:46:51 AM by Drewdy

FloatingPoint - The Affordable Supercomputer [Rendering/Animation/FEA]

UPDATE
Project on hold until I have more to generate more interest, slow process with just one person at it.

My plan with the website is not to pull back the curtain and show you everything, but to show you many of the venues that would be pursued, some of the competition, and basically make my pitch for you to invest.  It doesn't do me any good to be anything other than direct with this.  Eventually there will be some bounties, etc.  But for now, the ball falls solely in my court.  Feedback is encouraged on your feelings of the prospects here and confidence in investing.  I will do my best to stay on replying to posts and answer questions.

Once I feel confident, I will try to lock in dates instead of months like it currently stands.

I see Elastic was possibly having some backlash for taking donations and people being some level of dissatisfied.  Without them, I may as well throw in the towel now.  I am going to need to hire a couple devs to make this happen, while working a full time gig already and I (like most people) am not sitting on disposable income.  Your comments are welcome regarding donations...

FloatingPoint is a crypto-currency driven infrastructure for decentralized computation focused on meeting the needs of problems requiring high levels of FPU computation (Rendering, Finite Element Analysis, etc.).  For years I have seen the need for such a thing, but at an affordable price to the indie gamer rendering his HQ graphics sequences, the small time animated film maker needing to render a short film, to the small engineering shop aiming to compete with companies with entire departments and massive systems to do FEA analysis quickly.  Currently the cost of doing some of these tasks is thousands of dollars via a private render farm.  With FloatingPoint, the coins would be used for an allotted amount of time to have network access to compute such tasks at an affordable price.

By leveraging already existing 'distributed computing' tech inside of popular applications, establishing a client base of a front end app is eliminated.  Instead plugins will be developed and available for free to leverage the FloatingPoint network, all within software already in place.  For example, Autodesk 3dsMax is capable of using multiple renderers that are all capable of distributed computing...  MSC Nastran has multiple FEA solvers capable of distributed computing, Keyshot renderings commonly used in engineering or product development has distributed computing, Solidworks has distributed computing tech, the list goes on and on...  In some cases the technology already exists and is being doled out at a hefty price tag.

Algorithm/Mining

This is early in the project, but I feel strongly it ill end up (at least initially) as solely CPU mining.  A lot of the instruction sets (AVX in particular) used for most of these operations lend themselves to the CPU.  But like I said... Early.

Timeline (work in progress)

Website / Donations - TBD 2016
Wallet - TBD 2016
Test Network of coin - TBD 2016
Payout To Donations - TBD 2016
Release of coin [Go Live] - TBD 2016
Coin on exchange(s) - TBD 2016
Release of functional plugin(s) - TBD 2017

Donations

Like a lot of other ventures, they start out as investing in an idea you feel could be something.  Ultimately, being rewarded with a large amount of that coin as a result and if it proves to be successful then you reap the rewards.  I personally have not had much luck in this department with investing upfront, typically lucky to break even.  I know this can be a successful, profitable, game changing project.  To make it happen will require some investment upfront, also some outsourcing requiring upfront funds.  I think that as these things come to fruition the lead times will shorten to going live.  Once the website is up in the coming weeks, I will have a good gauge for level of interest.  Post has only been up 2 days and it already has 1000+ views, so I am feeling good about the prospects.

I know my status is Junior Member, and that can be a red flag to those reading this.  I am a very motivated, hard working, never give up individual with over 20 years of experience in engineering/IT/programming.  Based on feedback to this brief post, I will be aiming to launch a website and begin work on a wallet for starters.

Check back often as I am working on providing more detail, refinement, and a website over the next couple weeks...
Yanakitu Tenatako

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 10:52:34 PM

I have spare cpus to put in work. Around 1000 threads....

BitFinex, best trading platform ever.
Register here: https://www.bitfinex.com/?refcode=53wNhi4gTx
samspaces
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 11:09:03 PM

I think the 'Elastic' ICO covers the same idea.
Drewdy (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 11:40:44 PM

I think it is too soon to make that statement.  I can't say I have seen anything definitive about applications that will be able to leverage the network.  I am targeting the ability to use existing software that currently contains the ability to do distributed computing, but instead of pointing it to your own small army of computers, you can point it to the to tens of thousands of computers on the FPU network.  By targeting existing software, you can speed up the process of viability, most companies aren't going to just switch to some newly, non-vetted software for these types of problems.  They have already invested the money in the front end software they currently have, this would just extend it's capabilities outside of the home/work office.
jlbslqqs

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 02:29:34 AM

Smiley Approval Operation more meaningful great!!
Drewdy (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 06:17:10 AM

Those CPU's will likely be put to good use for this coin, at least at the outset.  A lot of the rendering and FEA applications I am aware of are CPU based, with a few exceptions.
frontier8

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 07:21:17 AM

Distributed Computing like XEL?

Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 07:23:52 AM

DAPPS was yesterday! Elastic has started a new era ... the era of Supercomputers  Wink

Just as with IOT and DAPPs, everyone seems to adopt the new buzz word "Supercomputer" and start thinking about new innovative ways to redistribute computational power. Seen 5 "Supercomputers" popping out of nowhere recently. Awesome! But I would rather see you contributing to the Elastic project instead of taking the idea and creating your own. Maybe the community can welcome you soon?
samspaces
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 11:11:41 AM

Unfortunately being a Newbie, I am restricted with what kind of content I can post on here (i.e. Images) at the moment.  I'll have to settle for a hyperlink and a website to better present what I am pursuing.

Just post it, I'll quote it, so the images show.
docker

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 11:13:59 AM

FloatingPoint - The Affordable Supercomputer [Rendering/Animation/FEA]

FloatingPoint is a crypto-currency driven infrastructure for decentralized computation focused on meeting the needs of problems requiring high levels of FPU computation (Rendering, Finite Element Analysis, etc.).  For years I have seen the need for such a thing, but at an affordable price to the indie gamer rendering his HQ graphics sequences, the small time animated film maker needing to render a short film, to the small engineering shop aiming to compete with companies with entire departments and massive systems to do FEA analysis quickly.  The coins would be used for an allotted amount of time to have network access to compute such tasks.

Currently my aim would be to recruit those with a background suited to the scope of the project.  I know my status is Newbie, and that can be a red flag to those reading this.  I am a very motivated, hard working, never give up individual.  Based on feedback to this brief post, I will be aiming to launch a website and begin work on a wallet for starters.  I aim to have an update to this by mid-June.  Website and a road map to completion.

Message me if you are interested and include a brief explanation of applicable experience.

Mate you're late...there's already a similar project and it's called PWR https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1475699.0
samspaces
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 11:28:20 AM

Mate you're late...there's already a similar project and it's called PWR https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1475699.0

Question with PWR is if they'll follow through. I have a feeling they won't.
nagatraju

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 01:12:22 PM

Interesting project.  When you are going to reveal more information?
Drewdy (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 04:49:35 PM

First, thanks for the repost.  Second, I am working on getting together details.  As I stated initially, I think I need until mid-June.  The aim is a website and a detailed scope.
Drewdy (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 05:01:00 PM

I can offer that one difference between this and other coins is that applications that are in wide-spread use already will be the main usage of the coin/network.  Imagine what currently takes a small render farm (6 computers) one week to render a short sequence in 1080p.  Now leveraging a giant network/farm of computers and accomplishing that same task in hours instead of days.  Time is money, cutting down lead times of completing by 10x, 20x, 30x...   In my experience, companies I have worked at are always looking for ways to speed up/streamline processes.  Now take away the need for employees/users to learn new software, but instead leverage a supercomputer network via the software they already are well versed in.
timedelay

Activity: 31

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 05:05:31 PM

How can I participate in the project.
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 05:07:35 PM

... and more importantly: how will you verify that the other users (the computation nodes of the supercomputer) have calculated (in your example rendered the 1080p movie) correctly? Will you need some "trust" between buyer and seller of computation power? Or will you use some centralized verification system? If so, what will it verify? Will it rerender the entire movie to check if the work has been completed correcty? If so ... why doesnt the verification node do the entire work in the first place?
Drewdy (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 05:20:37 PM

Great point, verification would be critical as users will be reliant on accuracy of the data computed.
Drewdy (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 05:27:58 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2016, 05:39:32 PM by Drewdy

Evil...  I have been doing engineering FEA and animations for 20+ years.  I would like to think my idea has merit on its own, rather than to be lumped in as a joiner.  I simply am doing a project with what I know, and what there is already a market for.   A lot of these coins have to fabricate a market on their own.  I have been talking about doing this for 2 years, and maybe fear of missing my window via some of the other projects has resulted in finally pulling the trigger.  I used the term supercomputer as I thought it may resonate better than distributed computing.
CryptoBrother

Activity: 252

I LOVE THE LIR PROJECT

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 07:26:25 PM

Im watching this one, but where can I buy it?

I love the ACES dev for giving me my investment back Smiley
sxafir

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 07:30:29 PM

... and more importantly: how will you verify that the other users (the computation nodes of the supercomputer) have calculated (in your example rendered the 1080p movie) correctly? Will you need some "trust" between buyer and seller of computation power? Or will you use some centralized verification system? If so, what will it verify? Will it rerender the entire movie to check if the work has been completed correcty? If so ... why doesnt the verification node do the entire work in the first place?

There are so programs but i dont remember now what.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: