Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:33:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many people are still mining ethereum?  (Read 1373 times)
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2016, 06:22:18 AM

ive been solo mining ethereum for quite some time now with only 17mhs and made a few coins but its now been over 6 weeks without hitting a block, Im now thinking of turning off my miner. Is anyone else in the same position as me or am i just really unlucky?

merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 06:24:52 AM

ive been solo mining ethereum for quite some time now with only 17mhs and made a few coins but its now been over 6 weeks without hitting a block, Im now thinking of turning off my miner. Is anyone else in the same position as me or am i just really unlucky?

https://etherscan.io/charts/difficulty shows the diff has about doubled in 1,5-2 months, so i guess it would be natural to feel the ammount of blocks you've hit decreasing steadily...
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 06:38:50 AM

There's a difficulty bomb in place which means the difficulty keep increasing even if the same amount of miners would mine it. you can read more about it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1487014.0.

The current diff is 46,964,515,312,887 and with your hashrate you'll need 767 hours or 32 days to find a block on average if the difficulty would stay the same.

The calculation is simple:

eth_difficulty / your_hashrate_in_hashes = block_finding_frequency_in_seconds

so it's

46,964,515,312,887 / 17,000,000 = 2,762,618 seconds which is close to 32 days.

With such a long time the variance is huge so if you're a bit unlucky you might not find a block in several months. And Ethereums very low block times aren't helping you either unless you have a really good connection.

Not your keys, not your coins!
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2016, 06:45:29 AM

There's a difficulty bomb in place which means the difficulty keep increasing even if the same amount of miners would mine it. you can read more about it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1487014.0.

The current diff is 46,964,515,312,887 and with your hashrate you'll need 767 hours or 32 days to find a block on average if the difficulty would stay the same.

The calculation is simple:

eth_difficulty / your_hashrate_in_hashes = block_finding_frequency_in_seconds

so it's

46,964,515,312,887 / 17,000,000 = 2,762,618 seconds which is close to 32 days.

With such a long time the variance is huge so if you're a bit unlucky you might not find a block in several months. And Ethereums very low block times aren't helping you either unless you have a really good connection.

I think i will just hang on for one last block then, hopefully the chances of hitting one within the next 2 weeks is quite high. Maybe mine a new coin or actually be able to use my pc again Wink

uncaer9

Activity: 413
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 06:51:35 AM

Im still mining etherum
https://dwarfpool.com/eth/address?wallet=337f362d5ffbca02b69cdd4be835bfbc6fe17fb5

and im prepare to buy new VGA maybe 4-5VGA

▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀                 ▀████▄
   ▄███▀
  ▄██▀
 ▄██▀   ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██▀    ████████▀▀   ▀▀████████
███     ██████▀  ██▄▄   ▀██████     ███
███     ██████   ██████  ██████     ███
███     ██████▄  ██▀▀   ▄██████     ███
▀██▄    ████████▄▄   ▄▄████████    ▄██▀
 ▀██▄   ▀█████████████████████▀   ▄██▀
  ▀██▄                           ▄██▀
   ▀███▄                       ▄███▀
     ▀████▄                 ▄████▀
       ▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀▀
           ▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀
PUREVIDZ█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀
[][████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████

▄               ▄█████▄   ▄▄
██▄           ▄███████████▀
████▄        ▄█████████████▀
▀█████▄▄     ████████████▀
 ▀██████████▄████████████
█████████████████████████
 ███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████████
   ███████████████████
    ▀▀██████████████▀
     ▄▄███████████▀
▀███████████████▀
  ▀▀████████▀▀
]█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 07:10:06 AM

new upcoming gpu will kill the diff and make everything again very profitable, but only for a limited time, like 1 month or so

for now xre is more profitable than etheruem thanks to the fact that amd are out of the game for now

but again it's only a matter of electricity cost, with $0.05/kwh, there are at least 10 profitable coins to mine, with 0.01 cent probably eveything out there become profitable

yes 0.01 cent exist, kuwait and egypt have it....
uncaer9

Activity: 413
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 07:27:02 AM

new upcoming gpu will kill the diff and make everything again very profitable, but only for a limited time, like 1 month or so

for now xre is more profitable than etheruem thanks to the fact that amd are out of the game for now

but again it's only a matter of electricity cost, with $0.05/kwh, there are at least 10 profitable coins to mine, with 0.01 cent probably eveything out there become profitable

XRE ? any detail of it ?

can you explanation about this ?

Thanks

▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀                 ▀████▄
   ▄███▀
  ▄██▀
 ▄██▀   ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██▀    ████████▀▀   ▀▀████████
███     ██████▀  ██▄▄   ▀██████     ███
███     ██████   ██████  ██████     ███
███     ██████▄  ██▀▀   ▄██████     ███
▀██▄    ████████▄▄   ▄▄████████    ▄██▀
 ▀██▄   ▀█████████████████████▀   ▄██▀
  ▀██▄                           ▄██▀
   ▀███▄                       ▄███▀
     ▀████▄                 ▄████▀
       ▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀▀
           ▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀
PUREVIDZ█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀
[][████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████

▄               ▄█████▄   ▄▄
██▄           ▄███████████▀
████▄        ▄█████████████▀
▀█████▄▄     ████████████▀
 ▀██████████▄████████████
█████████████████████████
 ███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████████
   ███████████████████
    ▀▀██████████████▀
     ▄▄███████████▀
▀███████████████▀
  ▀▀████████▀▀
]█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 07:59:21 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2016, 10:30:52 AM by Amph

XRE ? any detail of it ?

Thanks

new gpu like 1070 and  480 have a better ratio between hash and consumption, and this without optimization

not talking only about etheruem

1070 for example have an average 40% more hash on any algo while consuming 100w only
asdalani

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 08:33:08 AM

XRE ? any detail of it ?

Thanks

new gpu like 1070 and  480 have a better ratio between hash and consumption, and this without optimization

not talky only about etheruem

1070 for example have an average 40% more hash on any algo while consuming 100w only

I think the 1070 is better for algorithms other than the Etheruem. But Etheruem is still the most profitable.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Tmdz

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 12:53:04 PM

You need to mine on a pool like ethermine.org when you have a small amount of hash or you will be waiting forever to find a block.
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2016, 03:47:36 PM

You need to mine on a pool like ethermine.org when you have a small amount of hash or you will be waiting forever to find a block.

the reason i switched from a pool ages ago was because i was hitting blocks and making less from the pool than had i just mined solo. i did go a month of no blocks and then 2 in one week and now nothing for 6 weeks. Maybe its time to move back into a pool though.

asdalani

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:56:37 PM

the reason i switched from a pool ages ago was because i was hitting blocks and making less from the pool than had i just mined solo. i did go a month of no blocks and then 2 in one week and now nothing for 6 weeks. Maybe its time to move back into a pool though.

I used to do solo mining before the Ethereum price rise in January. After that, the difficulty is too high, I have to do pool mining.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2016, 06:58:14 PM

I used to do solo mining before the Ethereum price rise in January. After that, the difficulty is too high, I have to do pool mining.

yeah im going to either move back in or just stop mining ethereum. I know fine as soon as i start pool mining again it will come up with x amount of blocks hit but i will have earned about 0.03 ethereum =p

bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 07:13:30 PM

I used to solomine coins even if it was unlikely for me to find a block alone. Waking up and checking if I have found a block or not was much more exciting than poolmining for tiny fractions of blocks.

But now I draw the line at 12 hours; I don't solomine if my estimated average time between blocks is longer than 12 hours but I solomine everything else if I can.

helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2016, 07:17:48 PM

I used to solomine coins even if it was unlikely for me to find a block alone. Waking up and checking if I have found a block or not was much more exciting than poolmining for tiny fractions of blocks.

But now I draw the line at 12 hours; I don't solomine if my estimated average time between blocks is longer than 12 hours but I solomine everything else if I can.

Its the same for me, I get an email through to my phone whenever i hit a block so its always exciting when my phone beeps incase its a block ive hit but its been too long now. I just cant switch it off yet or selse it will feel like 6 weeks have been wasted and ive got it in my head that because its been so long im bound to hit a block soon.

bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 07:21:53 PM

Its the same for me, I get an email through to my phone whenever i hit a block so its always exciting when my phone beeps incase its a block ive hit but its been too long now. I just cant switch it off yet or selse it will feel like 6 weeks have been wasted and ive got it in my head that because its been so long im bound to hit a block soon.

I also solomined some Eth a few months back but I stopped because Geth just randomly lost sync. It gave no errors, nothing and I was still mining but it was not getting new blocks from the network. When I restarted it it syncing but eventually it dropped again. And it had dozens of connections. Wasted quite some time that way.

It's probably been fixed long ago but it's worth checking that everything is working.

helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2016, 07:28:12 PM

I also solomined some Eth a few months back but I stopped because Geth just randomly lost sync. It gave no errors, nothing and I was still mining but it was not getting new blocks from the network. When I restarted it it syncing but eventually it dropped again. And it had dozens of connections. Wasted quite some time that way.

It's probably been fixed long ago but it's worth checking that everything is working.

I did actually think for a while that something like that might have happened and i just checked again to make sure that wasnt the case but all good, currently on block 1668077. Thanks though.

asdalani

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 02:51:18 PM

I had the same problem. I had to restart the geth.exe every few hours. The ethermine continues to consume a lot of power without mining the new block.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
Pages: [1]
  Print