Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:50:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why isn't there an official place to download the blockchain from torrent?  (Read 905 times)
thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 01:45:36 PM

Bitcoin Core should host in bitcoincore.org or something, a blockchain file that gets updated frequently so new people aren't alienated to never use Bitcoin Core since downloading the blockchain from scratch is hell.

But if there was a way to download the blockchain from torrent at really fast speed, it wouldn't be so annoying. With the improvements in booting up times with faster validation like secp256k1 it wouldn't take that long to validate it compared to download + validate at the same time. Im sure there is a way to make it guaranteed to be the real blockchain due some hash checksum or something (to guarantee is not some fake blockchain).

Im just saying this cause I see all the newbs that download Bitcoin Core giving up and using blockchain.info or something.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dantanas

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 02:37:38 PM

I think there must be some technical difficulty or the potential that some people download a fake. Something must haave happened for it not to be implemented or considered.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4610

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 03:00:46 PM

Bitcoin Core should host in bitcoincore.org or something, a blockchain file that gets updated frequently so new people aren't alienated to never use Bitcoin Core since downloading the blockchain from scratch is hell.

But if there was a way to download the blockchain from torrent at really fast speed, it wouldn't be so annoying. With the improvements in booting up times with faster validation like secp256k1 it wouldn't take that long to validate it compared to download + validate at the same time. Im sure there is a way to make it guaranteed to be the real blockchain due some hash checksum or something (to guarantee is not some fake blockchain).

Im just saying this cause I see all the newbs that download Bitcoin Core giving up and using blockchain.info or something.

Downloading the blockchain (even with fast torrent), and then trying to synchronize afterwards it is usually SLOWER than just synchronizing directly from fast peers on the Bitcoin network in the first place.  So, offering such a download would just annoy new users even more.

Bitcoin is an open source decentralized system.  There is no entity "in charge" of bitcoin.  Therefore, any blockchain that anybody else offers would be just as "official" or "trustworthy" as a blockchain offered by you.  If you think it's such a great idea, then you should do it (or hire someone to do it for you).  If you aren't willing to do it, then perhasp nobody else is doing it either for the same reasons that have.

patronis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 08:05:28 PM

personally I'm just using electrum now because of how big the blockchain is and how long it takes to update. Electrum just feels like such an elegant solution.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 09:43:29 PM

Keeping an up to date blockchain would be hard and require multiple torrents.
Although, there are somewhat recent versions torrented which would make you download the rest of the data the correct way.
gogodr

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 10:06:04 PM

Although, there are somewhat recent versions torrented which would make you download the rest of the data the correct way.

I don't remember what version it was, but after a certain version of Bitcoin it was considered faster to let it sync with the net rather than download the blockchain via torrent.
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 03:44:16 PM

I don't remember what version it was, but after a certain version of Bitcoin it was considered faster to let it sync with the net rather than download the blockchain via torrent.

this is what i have heard as the latest news as to why torrents arent used anymore. Basically your quicker to just let the client download the blockchain itself and then synchronise. Far less likely to download something you might not wish to download as well.

rmorgan

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 02:38:56 PM

this is what i have heard as the latest news as to why torrents arent used anymore. Basically your quicker to just let the client download the blockchain itself and then synchronise. Far less likely to download something you might not wish to download as well.

I have a really hard time believing this.  I have a decent computer and a fast internet connection, and it's taking WEEKS to update the blockchain.  The internet connection is hardly touched, and the CPU usage is marginal.  There HAS to be a faster way to get this thing updated. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: