Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:34:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the price stagnate or drop because of this issue?  (Read 3787 times)
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 04:50:05 PM

Will the price stagnate or drop once a critical mass of (new) investors understands the current problems about blocksize limit and scalability?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/19u7s5/soft_block_size_limit_reached_miners_asked_to/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=149668.0

Satoshidice transactions won't even make a drop in the ocean if this thing gets adopted by the world.

True words! And we already got problems.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 04:57:31 PM

right now, this "problem" is totally exaggerated

most blocks do not "overflow"

and the answer to this problem is really simple, but bitcoiners are stupid smart-asses  and think its worth debating to no end.

siulynot
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:58:38 PM

but bitcoiners are stupid smart-asses  and think its worth debating to no end.

lol
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 04:59:54 PM

"We already got problems" is a highly exaggerated statement. Most of the time the blocks _are not_ even hitting the 250KB soft limit constantly, there have been a few times where many blocks in a row hit it, but they are exceptions.

Once it gets hit more, miners can and will fix this simply by modifying their code slightly, leaving us with a 1MB limit. Currently we can handle 10 times more transactions before the 1MB limit is a real problem. The problem at large is _well known_ by the devs and there is still plenty of time to make the change to a higher block size.

This is a real problem, a serious one if not addressed, but as far as I know the main dev, Gavin Andresen, is very much in favor of raising it. It's just a matter of how we raise it, and when, but gladly there is still time to figure that out.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 05:07:51 PM

Currently we can handle 10 times more transactions before the 1MB limit is a real problem.

Then we only have room for max 10 times the current price, right?  Huh

phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 05:10:09 PM

Then we only have room for max 10 times the current price, right?  Huh
no, there is no bitcoin price in the blockchain at all…
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 05:36:55 PM

I mean we only have the potential for 10 times the current price then.  Angry

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 05:38:38 PM

no

ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 05:41:51 PM

You're conflating transaction volume with price. 10 times our current number of transactions per block is not the same thing as 10 times the current price.
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 05:44:39 PM

I mean we only have the potential for growth of 10 times the current price then.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 05:47:54 PM

they really should up the limit to 1GB and be done with it... Tongue

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 05:48:24 PM

The transaction fee will become a viable consideration then, that's all. I will call it a (minor) problem when a feeless bitcoin transfer does not go through in 24 hours - meaning all 1MB blocks full with paid transactions - but it's not happening soon or this year. And it does not have much relation to bitcoin price - we've grown from 5 to 50 while the volume only grown 3x (and then, mostly due to SatoshiDice).

I don't think upping the limit is a good thing, yet. Having a need for transaction fee would kill Satoshidice or make it unfeasible for micro-bets, but there are parallel blockchains for that kinds of feeless spam, it can just go over there or run a specific gamblecoin with 1GB blocks or something. Which would in turn be easily exchangeable into bitcoins.

i am satoshi
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 05:49:00 PM

I mean we only have the potential for growth of 10 times the current price then.

I think you mean growth of 10 times the current "transaction rate".
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 05:58:23 PM

I think you mean growth of 10 times the current "transaction rate".

...which is a good economic indicator of Bitcoin adoption and use...

we've grown from 5 to 50 while the volume only grown 3x (and then, mostly due to SatoshiDice).

...normalized without the speculative bubbles and panics of course.  Smiley

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 06:01:18 PM

The transaction fee will become a viable consideration then, that's all. I will call it a (minor) problem when a feeless bitcoin transfer does not go through in 24 hours - meaning all 1MB blocks full with paid transactions - but it's not happening soon or this year. And it does not have much relation to bitcoin price - we've grown from 5 to 50 while the volume only grown 3x (and then, mostly due to SatoshiDice).

I don't think upping the limit is a good thing, yet. Having a need for transaction fee would kill Satoshidice or make it unfeasible for micro-bets, but there are parallel blockchains for that kinds of feeless spam, it can just go over there or run a specific gamblecoin with 1GB blocks or something. Which would in turn be easily exchangeable into bitcoins.

Satoshidice should operate within itself and not hit the blockchaine for every single bet....
user sends funds to s.dice wallet, user doubles his bitcoin, user cashes out.
that way the tx fees of 1cent dont matter anymore.

but wtv.

Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 06:29:55 PM

Two problems with that:
  • Miners in countries where internet access is poor (or bitcoin is outlawed so they have to use Tor) become unable to mine, because they'll never download the big block in time (= 100% stale).
  • If the block size limit is so large as to be effectively limitless, a big part of the design for the 0-reward endgame gets ruined (since no scarcity of slots for transaction inclusion in block = no incentive to outbid other transactions' fees).

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 06:41:24 PM

I am glad SatoshiDice is doing what it's doing because it allows us to test the limits and hit them without impacting anything critical. Forcing SatoshiDice to eventually use the block chain more efficiently is something I consider non critical.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
kingcrimson
Legendary

Activity: 1025

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 06:51:58 PM

right now, this "problem" is totally exaggerated

most blocks do not "overflow"

and the answer to this problem is really simple, but bitcoiners are stupid smart-asses  and think its worth debating to no end.

It's all about perception. With all the new eyes on bitcoin right now, they see a 10 page debate about it where members are spreading FUD. This and mtgox's lag has probably made people realize bitcoin might not be ready for the big show.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:04:59 PM

No. The two are not related.

more or less retired.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:39:58 PM

No thanks, http://garzikrants.blogspot.com/2013/02/bitcoin-block-size-thoughts.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: