Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:55:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining New Coin - concern anti virus will delete my wallet  (Read 822 times)
peres (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 04:24:30 PM

This is my first post. I am an avid beginner and learner. I am mining a new coin and have installed the wallet on my desktop. I am concerned that windows protection or my anti virus will delete the wallet or my computer crashes or something. I have created a password (passphrase). If I lose the wallet from my desktop can I download again and be able to access my coins with my password? I have not done a backup. Thanks for any responses.
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 06:25:47 PM

you can backup your coins wallet.dat to a safe place (the more the better)

the wallet.dat file lives in

C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\YourCoin

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
ICOcountdown.com

Activity: 1008
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2016, 06:47:08 PM

You should run new coins on completely different servers because there could be trojans installed in them.

peres (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 06:59:31 PM

Thanks I appreciate the information. All I did was create a folder on my computer and saved the backup file there (I will do it regularly). I tried to click on the file but it would not open? How would I use this file to restore my wallet if it gets deleted or lost? Thanks again
billotronic
Legendary

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 07:25:33 PM

You should run new coins on completely different servers because there could be trojans installed in them.

agreed, but I think this person needs to start a little slower then full blown paranoid

Thanks I appreciate the information. All I did was create a folder on my computer and saved the backup file there (I will do it regularly). I tried to click on the file but it would not open? How would I use this file to restore my wallet if it gets deleted or lost? Thanks again

I would STRONGLY recommend storing your backup wallet.dat elsewhere. SD card, mega, email even ffs.

To restore, you would just place your backup copy of wallet.dat into the directory I posted previously.

peres (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 12:49:46 AM

agreed, but I think this person needs to start a little slower then full blown paranoid

I would STRONGLY recommend storing your backup wallet.dat elsewhere. SD card, mega, email even ffs.

To restore, you would just place your backup copy of wallet.dat into the directory I posted previously.

Thanks for the info, but I am using new windows. I can go as far as c:\users\my user name\ then I go to my files - there is no appdata . . .
I have backed up the dat file to my memory stick. I appreciate your help with this
Pitchblackroom

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 01:10:20 AM

As people iterated, please back up your wallets before you start mining this new coin.

Then as other suggested use it on a system that is safe to use and you wouldn't be too brutalized if it was a trojan.

It is really hard to know what coins are good and which ones are bad because a lot of these random coins are really scammy.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
billotronic
Legendary

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 01:57:02 AM

Thanks for the info, but I am using new windows. I can go as far as c:\users\my user name\ then I go to my files - there is no appdata . . .
I have backed up the dat file to my memory stick. I appreciate your help with this

It's probably a hidden folder and you need to show hidden folders. I am sorry, I have not used any windoze newer than 7 so I cannot for sure tell you how to fix this, but search online and I bet you can find the answer

peres (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 02:39:35 AM

It's probably a hidden folder and you need to show hidden folders. I am sorry, I have not used any windoze newer than 7 so I cannot for sure tell you how to fix this, but search online and I bet you can find the answer

Hello Thanks a million for your help. I searched google and discovered how to unhide the folder - you go to file explorer then click 'view' at the top the check the box that says show / hide (something like that). Anyway so now I can find it as you explained. My question now is do I always save the backup there OR save it elsewhere and put it there if I want to restore the wallet? All the best
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 1206

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2016, 11:39:56 AM

You are on a good start by asking this question and of course by implementing these advices I believe these are all basic for newbies who wants to start mining a new coin whether it's a proof of stakes or a proof of work.

MirkoIta
Legendary

Activity: 1667
Merit: 1008

Stoned & Stranged

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2016, 11:32:54 AM

My question now is do I always save the backup there OR save it elsewhere and put it there if I want to restore the wallet?

The best approach is to make many copies of your wallet.dat file and store them in different places ( external HDs, USB sticks,...).That way you only need to download the wallet on any device,let it sync and replace the wallet.dat file in APPDATA\ROAMING\ with a copy of your wallet.dat file and re-open the wallet.

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR AN ENGLISH TO ITALIAN TRANSLATOR? HIRE ME ON https://fivebucks.com/users/MirkoItalia            
     ONLY BITCOIN SV ACCEPTED
peres (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 02:23:11 PM

My question now is do I always save the backup there OR save it elsewhere and put it there if I want to restore the wallet?

The best approach is to make many copies of your wallet.dat file and store them in different places ( external HDs, USB sticks,...).That way you only need to download the wallet on any device,let it sync and replace the wallet.dat file in APPDATA\ROAMING\ with a copy of your wallet.dat file and re-open the wallet.

Thanks for the reply. The final question would be - must the .dat file be the most recent or any one of the backed up files? For example, I may lose my computer and did my last backup a week ago. All the best
peres (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 08:25:00 AM

Hello
I was wondering if you could help me again.
Norton deleted my wallet so I downloaded it again and the copied my backed up .dat file into addata roaming. -----(I now have 2 files the original blk0001.dat and my file and the file opens but it will not since and it says it is offline / I tried deleting the original blk0001.dat file but then the wallet will not open / I tried to rename my file to blk0001.dat and then overight the original file but then it will not open/////so I have put back original file + my last backup file and it say "out of since" and it will not sink because it says wallet is offline?Huh?? but I am connected to the internet? Can you help
billotronic
Legendary

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 03:29:50 PM

Ok, let's back things up... why did norton delete your wallet? Can you post the info from norton?

peres (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 04:20:39 PM

Ok, let's back things up... why did norton delete your wallet? Can you post the info from norton?

Hello Billotronic the Norton problem is fixed. They reinstalled and changed some configurations so I could allow the installation - initially Norton deleted because they said its new and a few users and high risk. That issue is all resolved.

So I have been trying to restore my wallet for about 12 hours. Finally after deleting the inception file in the roaming folder and also deleting the wallet on desktop and then downloading again and installing the wallet works and is connected to the network and sinc ed. ------ So next step add my backup .dat file to the inception folder (1) I rename it and then overwrite existing file (blk0001.dat) - the file will then not load or connect to the internet (2) I add the backup .dat file to the folder and leave the old file as well - is does not load or will not connect to network (3) I delete existing file and add my backup .dat file - it will not open wallet or will not connect to the network.

What is the exact procedure to follow please?

With Thanks

Perry
billotronic
Legendary

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 04:58:42 PM

the only file you need to overwrite is wallet.dat

peres (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 05:05:27 PM

the only file you need to overwrite is wallet.dat

Hello Billtronic
I see now there is a wallet.dat file - Do I rename the last backup .dat file I created to wallet.dat then overwrite the existing one? / then try opening wallet again? Thanks for helping me with this
peres (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 05:45:18 PM

Hello Billotronic
My wallet is restored - I want to thank you for your help. I did not turn off my computer for 3 days because I had a concern that Norton would delete it when I restarted which they did because when I installed I disconnected Norton for a while. Anyway you taught me how that I needed to do a backup and how to restore my wallet(I actually had no idea  - I previously had a desktop bitcoin wallet and no backup - luckily I did not have any problems). I did regular backups in the last couple of days and as a result I did not lose 500 000 coins. I really appreciate that you kept answering when I seemed dumb - this stuff is tricky in the beginning and maybe not only just in the beginning. All the best
billotronic
Legendary

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 06:41:19 PM

Well I am super confused but as long as you got it sorted out I'm glad to of helped.

peres (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 06:56:46 PM

Thanks a lot

It got confusing because Norton was like a Demon deleting the wallet & I was overwriting the wrong .dat file. I was trying to overwrite the blk0001.dat file instead of the wallet.dat. Anyway you helped a lot
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: