Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:34:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: best way to give BTC as a present  (Read 1217 times)
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 12:29:33 PM

Hi guys

no, I'm not asking for your addresses Wink
And no, I'm not planning to give away my BTC now as they are "still worth something" *PANIC!!* =D

I'm just asking what is the best way to get all those non-geeks into the picture? BitcoinWallet on Android is one such thing that could show off great deal when others see how easy I exchange small changes with other geeks in seconds but that's another story ... Smiley

I want to give BTC as a birthday present. I heard that sending a wallet.dat would not work cross platform. Is that true??

If I see the friend in person I could give a bootable USB stick with everything in place but that is most likely too geeky for many. Also getting internet connectivity in place that just works is a concern then.

Any thoughts anybody??

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 12:39:49 PM

https://www.instawallet.org/

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 12:56:02 PM

Most non-techies will use MS Windows anyways, so giving them an installer + a batch file that replaces their (new+empty) wallet.dat with a "preloaded" one (and maybe also copies a bigger snapshot of the blockchain to the data dir) on a USB stick should be sufficient in my opinion.

Just make sure that you communicate some basic security measures clearly. "Wallet.dat" files are like real wallets - if they get stolen, you're NOT likely to get it back full of money!

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 02:30:13 PM

instawallet should actually do for really small presents. i think it is crucial that i can keep a copy of the wallet (the initial amount) as most people will just loose the one $ and ask me how they can recover it a week later when it is at 10$. with instawallet I would also have the link.

Thinking about it:
when it comes to security, you can easily trick people with the key store. send your banker "friend" a wallet of 10$. he takes the bait and once he shifts his billions into BTC, run with it Wink BTC is too complicated for noobs to realize this attack vector.

same with instawallet while there the host can run with the money.

I'm all not satisfied with the clash between simplicity at first site and complexity the deeper you get into it. Actually the *only* way to give BTC as a present should be together with a 2h lecture on security Sad Then you can leave it to said friend what option he would like.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 02:38:16 PM

just send them a MTGOX money mail
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 02:41:46 PM

maybe bitbills

http://bitbills.com/
lonestranger

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

I like long walks on the beach, shaving my head...

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:33:53 PM

How come you can't just create an account on mybitcoin.com with $1 in it and give them the url, ID, password written in a card?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: