Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:21:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Web’s Creator Looks to Reinvent It  (Read 501 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 01:15:47 AM

SAN FRANCISCO — Twenty-seven years ago, Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web as a way for scientists to easily find information. It has since become the world’s most powerful medium for knowledge, communications and commerce — but that doesn’t mean Mr. Berners-Lee is happy with all of the consequences.

“It controls what people see, creates mechanisms for how people interact,” he said of the modern day web. “It’s been great, but spying, blocking sites, repurposing people’s content, taking you to the wrong websites — that completely undermines the spirit of helping people create.”

So on Tuesday, Mr. Berners-Lee gathered in San Francisco with other top computer scientists — including Brewster Kahle, head of the nonprofit Internet Archive and an internet activist — to discuss a new phase for the web.

Today, the World Wide Web has become a system that is often subject to control by governments and corporations. Countries like China can block certain web pages from their citizens, and cloud services like Amazon Web Services hold powerful sway. So what might happen, the computer scientists posited, if they could harness newer technologies — like the software used for digital currencies, or the technology of peer-to-peer music sharing — to create a more decentralized web with more privacy, less government and corporate control, and a level of permanence and reliability?

“National histories, the story of a country, now happen on the web,” said Vinton G. Cerf, another founder of the internet and chief internet evangelist at Google, in a phone interview ahead of a speech to the group scheduled for Wednesday. “People think making things digital means they’ll last forever, but that isn’t true now.”

The project is in its early days, but the discussions — and caliber of the people involved — underscored how the World Wide Web’s direction in recent years has stirred a deep anxiety among some technologists. The revelations by Edward J. Snowden that the web has been used by governments for spying and the realization that companies like Amazon, Facebook and Google have become gatekeepers to our digital lives have added to concerns.

On Tuesday, Mr. Berners-Lee and Mr. Kahle and others brainstormed at the event, called the Decentralized Web Summit, over new ways that web pages could be distributed broadly without the standard control of a web server computer, as well as ways of storing scientific data without having to pay storage fees to companies like Amazon, Dropbox or Google.

Efforts at creating greater amounts of privacy and accountability, by adding more encryption to various parts of the web and archiving all versions of a web page, also came up. Such efforts would make it harder to censor content.

“Edward Snowden showed we’ve inadvertently built the world’s largest surveillance network with the web,” said Mr. Kahle, whose group organized the conference. “China can make it impossible for people there to read things, and just a few big service providers are the de facto organizers of your experience. We have the ability to change all that.”

Many people conflate the internet’s online services and the web as one and the same — yet they are technically quite different. The internet is a networking infrastructure, where any two machines can communicate over a variety of paths, and one local network of computers can connect with other networks.

The web, on the other hand, is a popular means to access that network of networks. But because of the way web pages are created, managed and named, the web is not fully decentralized. Take down a certain server and a certain web page becomes unavailable. Links to pages can corrode over time. Censorship systems like China’s Great Firewall eliminate access to much information for most of its people. By looking at internet addresses, it is possible for governments and companies to get a good idea of who is reading which web pages.

In some ways, the efforts to change the technology of creating the web are a kind of coming-of-age story. Mr. Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web while working at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, as a tool for scientists. Today, the web still runs on technologies of the older world.

Consider payments. In many cases, people pay for things online by entering credit card information, not much different from handing a card to a merchant for an imprint.

At the session on Tuesday, computer scientists talked about how new payment technologies could increase individual control over money. For example, if people adapted the so-called ledger system by which digital currencies are used, a musician might potentially be able to sell records without intermediaries like Apple’s iTunes. News sites might be able to have a system of micropayments for reading a single article, instead of counting on web ads for money.

“Ad revenue is the only model for too many people on the web now,” Mr. Berners-Lee said. “People assume today’s consumer has to make a deal with a marketing machine to get stuff for ‘free,’ even if they’re horrified by what happens with their data. Imagine a world where paying for things was easy on both sides.”

Mr. Kahle’s Internet Archive, which exists on a combination of grants and fees from digitizing books for libraries, operates the Wayback Machine, which serves as a record of discontinued websites or early versions of pages.

To make that work now, Mr. Kahle has to search and capture a page, then give it a brand new web address. With the right kind of distributed system, he said, “the archive can have all of the versions, because there would be a permanent record located across many sites.”

The movement to change how the web is built, like a surprising number of technology discussions, has an almost religious dimension.

Some of the participants are extreme privacy advocates who have created methods of building sites that can’t be censored, using cryptography. Mr. Cerf said he was wary of extreme anonymity, but thought the ways that digital currencies permanently record transactions could be used to make the web more accountable.

Still, not all the major players agree on whether the web needs decentralizing.

“The web is already decentralized,” Mr. Berners-Lee said. “The problem is the dominance of one search engine, one big social network, one Twitter for microblogging. We don’t have a technology problem, we have a social problem.”

One that can, perhaps, be solved by more technology.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/08/technology/the-webs-creator-looks-to-reinvent-it.html?_r=0

---------------------------------
Someone with the right connection should invite him to participate on bitcointalk.org.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1442

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 01:26:52 AM

Hell yes! Finally God has spoken!

The article doesn't so much about what platform they're building, or are they still in the research stage? I'm sure they have already taken a look at IPFS and the like, but I'm not so sure he's aware of the cryptocurrency movement trying to decentralize the web and storage with platforms like Storj.

Inviting him here at bitcointalk might be a good idea and could spark intelligent and insightful discussions amount forum members. Does he have a twitter account? Wh not drop him a tweet.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
popcorn1
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1027

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 02:00:54 AM

Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web

Just want to say thank you for creating the web you have made peoples lives so much better and it will get even better with the integration of 3D printers and VR

SO A BIG BIG THANK YOU ..You are a true great man..And keep inventing you are a credit to
humanity..LOVE YOU LOADS THANKS..

Aaron Swartz shame he still not alive HE WAS A GIFT TO THE WORLD.. Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
I wonder what be out now if he was alive Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 03:07:04 AM

Hell yes! Finally God has spoken!

The article doesn't so much about what platform they're building, or are they still in the research stage? I'm sure they have already taken a look at IPFS and the like, but I'm not so sure he's aware of the cryptocurrency movement trying to decentralize the web and storage with platforms like Storj.

Inviting him here at bitcointalk might be a good idea and could spark intelligent and insightful discussions amount forum members. Does he have a twitter account? Wh not drop him a tweet.

I do not use twitter but the bitcointalk brainbugs should try to contact him.

Satoshi? Are you listening?

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2016, 08:55:31 AM

It would be cool if they figured out a way to make it work but I definitely wouldn't want to hold terabytes of data on my computer just to be able to have a decentralized web. Right now the big companies do all the hosting on their servers and the user doesn't feel any strain.

“The web is already decentralized,” Mr. Berners-Lee said. “The problem is the dominance of one search engine, one big social network, one Twitter for microblogging. We don’t have a technology problem, we have a social problem.”

It think this is natural, it's just survival of the fittest. I've tried a number of search engines over the years but I always go back to Google simply because it displays the most accurate results. People will always converge to one social network because everyone wants maximum exposure, it's no fun hanging out on a forum with only 10 users around.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 12:25:52 PM

It would be cool if they figured out a way to make it work but I definitely wouldn't want to hold terabytes of data on my computer just to be able to have a decentralized web. Right now the big companies do all the hosting on their servers and the user doesn't feel any strain.

It think this is natural, it's just survival of the fittest. I've tried a number of search engines over the years but I always go back to Google simply because it displays the most accurate results. People will always converge to one social network because everyone wants maximum exposure, it's no fun hanging out on a forum with only 10 users around.

When you begin a thousand-mile walk, the first step is the most important one.

daniobg

Activity: 232
Merit: 105

Solarcoin.org

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2016, 06:08:41 PM

Well I think if even they manage to do some sort of more decentralized web, the same scenario will repeat because it is in our nature... There will always be big fishes in the ocean and small ones that got eaten by them. It's how the universe work if you think about it. Don't get me wrong here - I support the idea, but I don't think such a thing will ever be achieved  Sad

SolarCoin – A Global Rewards Program For Solar Electricity Generation       ElectriCChain – The Solar Energy Blockchain Project Site For Climate Change
Solcrypto – A Future Powered By Solar Energy                  

Feel free to tip me!  BTC: 1EGsKEd9gxGVnNKg6hkXREHqGVbirqAUYr   SLR: 8GnTPXj9fAH5xe1247c4MaQxMiQEP5MD7d
Racey
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 06:33:53 PM

Decentralized Web Summit - Live From The Internet Archive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yth7O6yeZRE

And its gone.
Masha Sha

Activity: 560
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 08, 2016, 07:13:34 PM

Like the Facebook guy says: as long as the girls are using Facebook it will be cool... The moment they switch to something else it's gone... Some people on this forum are working on alternative where you get a cut from the ads... Because now you are exploited harvested on those website.

/sarc /snowflakeshield /iammorevirtuousthanyou /2692 /pixelsonscreeen /fuckthemusep2p /p2p=love
Nouelle-Hunter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 12:43:12 AM

Well thanks to the web creator we have internet now. In my opinion it is ok as of it is now. We can use it to our good so its ok even though some informations aren't correct.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 11:40:20 AM

Well I think if even they manage to do some sort of more decentralized web, the same scenario will repeat because it is in our nature... There will always be big fishes in the ocean and small ones that got eaten by them. It's how the universe work if you think about it. Don't get me wrong here - I support the idea, but I don't think such a thing will ever be achieved  Sad

You forget the other part of the equation of the universe: you shall always adapt, change your geometry, or die. That is why bitcoin exists now, ethereum next, etc, etc...

alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 09, 2016, 03:42:35 PM

Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web

Just want to say thank you for creating the web you have made peoples lives so much better and it will get even better with the integration of 3D printers and VR

SO A BIG BIG THANK YOU ..You are a true great man..And keep inventing you are a credit to
humanity..LOVE YOU LOADS THANKS..

Yeah - and he made it all open source as well. And he's British!  Smiley

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary