Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:34:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Mining Rig Bench  (Read 6680 times)
420 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 12:07:51 AM

I need a mining bench crate or something to hold motherboard and cards

got anything?

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 01:46:12 AM

Never done it myself, but a lot of people seem to use a dish drying rack.  It appears that you turn the rack upside down, put the motherboard under it, and use PCI-E extender/riser cables for each card and put the cards on top of the rack.

Something like this should work: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Newell-Rubbermaid-Home-6032ARBISQ-Large-Dish-Drainer-Large-Each/21803169
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 01:49:49 AM

Pretty easy to make

420 (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 02:02:06 AM

Never done it myself, but a lot of people seem to use a dish drying rack.  It appears that you turn the rack upside down, put the motherboard under it, and use PCI-E extender/riser cables for each card and put the cards on top of the rack.

Something like this should work: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Newell-Rubbermaid-Home-6032ARBISQ-Large-Dish-Drainer-Large-Each/21803169

that sounds like a good idea

Pretty easy to make

then sell them for $

Henchman24

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 02:47:00 AM

I have a few benches from www.highspeedpc.com  Check out their BTC mining stations. 

They may seem a bit expensive, especially when compared to the dishwasher rack or DIY options, but I think they make a well-designed, well-built (with respect to its purpose, you can't use it as a step ladder!) product.
420 (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:06:33 AM

I have a few benches from www.highspeedpc.com  Check out their BTC mining stations. 

They may seem a bit expensive, especially when compared to the dishwasher rack or DIY options, but I think they make a well-designed, well-built (with respect to its purpose, you can't use it as a step ladder!) product.

fantastic (to have the site) but why's it so hard to see the price? i cant fucking find it

planman

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 06:03:18 AM

Go grab some 3/4 x 1" stakes at the hardware store, some wood glue, masking tape, and two scraps of plywood. Find some black paint in the free section of craigslist.

Chill a six pack of beer and grab a hand saw.

The final result will look like this:

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b588/Charles_Arthur_Bell/myrigs_zps00f75b25.jpg
420 (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 06:07:52 AM

Go grab some 3/4 x 1" stakes at the hardware store, some wood glue, masking tape, and two scraps of plywood. Find some black paint in the free section of craigslist.

Have you ever connected two risers in serial?

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 08:01:23 AM

Yes, I regularly do it. It's a hit/miss with 16X risers, but mostly hits with 1X risers in serial.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
witherworth

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 10:21:02 AM

This is what I designed in Unity, then built 2 of. It holds 6 cards, separates them a bit, and provides lots of cool air from the rear to be pulled across the cards and motherboard. It also holds a refular SATA drive and 2 PSUs, which are cheaper for more efficient units than a single super efficient unit. The only issue I get is a bit of dust on the top-most rack, but that's because I don't havw something on the very top. These things are also designed to be sat upright so video card exhaust is shot upwards (perhaps shooting it into an AC unit set to "Fan" mode so it distributes heat throughout the house). I'm using 1 for cards, and the other for FPGAs currently, but I'm building an addition to the rack to better accommodate the FPGAs.

Here's the pic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqme18x5kzm7phe/Photo%20Mar%2008%2C%204%2013%2020.jpg
planman

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:07:00 AM

Tgat's the reason for all the blue smoke in the fan Wink

2 risers in serial? Brilliant!!! I had no idea...

... smoke testing now Smiley
Turok

Activity: 38

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:23:21 AM

I am also about to build a rig and really like this open case

http://www.quietpc.com/images/products/ae-strikex-air-large.jpg
Bitobsessed

Activity: 291

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:33:06 AM

I have never seen anything like this and all I can say is WOW!
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:05:14 PM

Just wood glue?  No screws to hold it together?

I built mine out of angle aluminum.  Cut it with a chopsaw, and drilled and screwed it together.  It came out pretty nice, though a little big (600 x 480 x 240 mm).

Some ppl use pop rivets.  That probably would have been easier than the machine screws/nuts/washers/lockwashers I used.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
bowen151

Activity: 658

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:11:05 PM

Hi 420

Theres a few on here you could check out, sounds like they'd be what you are looking for.

I've been looking at getting one just for a normal test bench for work.

http://www.highspeedpc.com/

EDIT: I should wake up first before posting lol I see its already been mentioned.

Here's the prices for the preassembled ones: http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PrebuiltTechStation

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:37:59 PM

Check the pics of my GPU rig that I just tore down - I'm looking to sell the rack I made for it. It has a power switch, and I can include the three case fans that go across the top. The little black squares around the frame are for attaching black mesh screens around the whole frame to help keep out larger size crap, which is also included. Also, I remember from your post looking for GPUs that you are somewhere in California. If you happen to be in Socal, we might be able to meet up and avoid shipping costs (I'm in LA).

http://imgur.com/QBQOZx1,CrMtcWs#0
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:50:29 AM

I have never seen anything like this and all I can say is WOW!
That's the Aerocool Strike-X Air. There's also the Lian Li PC-T60, and a few others more obscure models. The problem with most of those is that they're not designed for raised GPUs running over extenders.

Most of the home made stuff seem to follow a general theme, which can be seen with step-by-step guidelines HERE.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: